Dust filter material

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Pendu

Dust filter material

Post by Pendu » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:48 am

hey found this website looks quite interesting.

http://www.afrotechmods.com/reallycheap ... shener.htm

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:05 am

There isn't a particular forum on SPCR devoted to air filtration. But I've got all my computers filtered, really filtered. And I've tried out all available filter material.

Used like the photos on that website, that material will block 50% or more of the airflow, causing you to increase the fan speed to compensate. Also due to the small surface area available for airflow through the filter, it will clog quickly.

If you're really serious about air filtration, you need to go further.... like this, a real air filter out of a small home air filter device. It has enough surface area as not to restrict airflow, and can last maybe 4-6months without maintenance.

Pendu

Post by Pendu » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:34 am

hey bluefront could you maybe send me in the direction of information pertaining to filteration. I'd like to maybe dupliate the technology and apply it to case fans.

hyperq

Post by hyperq » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:02 am

I completely agree with the idea that SPCR should create a section for air filtration. Dust builds up inside PCs and reduce the effectiveness of heat sinks. I vacuum the inside of my PCs regularly. (I specifcally bought a vacuum because it has a soft brush attachment that is perfect for vacuuming heat sinks.) But a better solution is to use filters.

So far I have seen people using Hamilton Beach TrueAir filters, Bounce fabric softener sheets, paper towels, and the filter material from car air filters. I am not sure which one is the best way to go.

I can imagine within a year or two, PC case manufactures will start selling cases with filters in front of the case fan. It costs near to nothing to add a paper filter to a case. I know I would definitly choose one of those cases over others that don't have filters.

Before that happens, SPCR should create a section for air filtration. So users can learn the best filtration techniques from each other.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:20 am

Hey Bluefront, I don't suppose you recall what brand that filter is for? I like the dimensions of it (assuming it's not cut down :lol: ) but it's tough finding pleated filters like that where I am. Probably because air conditioners aren't a life or death neccessity up here.

BTW I don't suppose you've looked into pleated Shop Vac type filters (cartridges)? I wonder if these would be more or less restrictive than the automotive or in-cabin HEPA filters you've experimented with in the past... probably less than HEPA, which is a higher (lower micron) standard though, right?

Maybe a "Filters and Airflow" forum.... since they're related. The only problem being that "airflow" would impinge on the existing "Cases and Damping" forum.....

Pendu

Post by Pendu » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:30 am

Something like a forum devoted to this would be nice.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:12 am

You know, I never found anything on the web devoted to computer air filtration, other than useless, ghetto-type attempts. It's not all that hard to filter a case.....of course some cases are difficult/impossible to filter properly, due to design.

I've gotten to putting a filter like the Hamilton Beach filter(the photo) inside the case, rather than inside the front cover. Much easier....that filter comes out of a small home air filter machine, filter #04711 True Air. It is 6 3/4" x 5 3/4" x 3/4".....cost $8-$10 at Target stores, other places. That amount of filter area is sufficient for a mid-tower. But I've been using two intakes lately, one on the rear also, so my last build uses two of these filters.

HEPA filters are usually too restrictive, work good but require higher fan speeds. Same with automotive air filters, and lawn-mower filters.

Cabin filters for cars come in many sizes, and work good. I'm using some different Nissan filters in a few machines. They are similar to the Hamilton beach model as far as restriction. Pleated paper filters is the way to go, IMHO. Maybe an air filter forum would be a good idea..... :lol:

swivelguy2

Post by swivelguy2 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:43 pm

I jigsawed a massive hole in the front of my case to fit the bluefront-approved hamilton beach filter in there. Works wonderfully. I just pop my bezel off and change the filter every few months (or try to clean it out when i'm feeling too cheap and/or lazy to buy one).

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:31 pm

Thanks for the info Bluefront.

hyperq

Post by hyperq » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:58 pm

Click here to see this home made computer air filter. I think it has industrial strength. :lol:

limejuice

++ air filtration forum

Post by limejuice » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:28 pm

I would love to see more discussion and articles about air filtration of computer cases. My home computers always collect lots of dust in them becuase we have the windows open much of the time which lets in all kinds of dust and pollen, etc.

Over a few years, the dust builds up on the motherboard and inside the case. I have to regularly blast the inside with compressed air and then vacuum it up to try to control the problem. Even then, the fans get a nasty film of dust on them and eventually have problems spinning when at low rpm.

One of my home pcs has a lian li case which has an 'air filter' which is just a thin pad of plastic which is very porous. It doesn't really do much.

If there was a case which had a real air filter I'd be very interested. As it is now, the next time I build a case I will try modding it like Bluefront suggested. If anyone has any more links/websites about air filtratio, please post.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:46 pm

I just happened to download the sanyo denki fan catalog the other day and there is a lot of information on filtration types and graphs of the resulting loss in air flow for a particular material. Its an interesting catalog with about 200 pages. - FG

http://www.sanyo-denki.com/Products/CPU ... p-CPU.html

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:08 am

hyperq wrote:Click here to see this home made computer air filter. I think it has industrial strength. :lol:
Wow. :lol: The idea is good in principle though, although I'm not sure that's the best place to blow it in.

I don't see manufacturers making cases with really fine filters built into them any time soon. Average computer users won't change them, and with filters like that the amount of fan power needed to cool the hottest components running a stock cooling setup would be unbelievably loud. :(