What 80mm case fan

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

emax

What 80mm case fan

Post by emax » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:09 pm

Hi all,

I've recently bought a Lian-Li 6070 "queit" case..but it isn't all that queit.
Anyway i decided to queiten down the 3 x 80mm ADDA case fans which come with it with a CoolerMaster Aerogate 1. I have the two front case fans running at minimum speed and the exhaust at maximum. Its really queit now, but whenever i start my PC up they seem to have a weird clicking/rattling startup which lasts for maybe 1min.

I emailed Lian Li..and they said the ADDA fans that come with the case run at 2100rpm / 23dB / 27.6CFM/min.

I was thinking of just getting some better branded fans and get rid of the controller.

Papst and Panaflo are pretty expensive over here. If i had to get a Nexus it would cost to much ordering it from New Zealand.

Anyway...what do you guys think of the Zalman ZM-F1 80mm Case fan?...i would run all of them at silent mode (with the adapter that comes in the package)...do you think i will be getting the same queitness i'm getting now?

I was suspecting that the front left case fan is faulty though, as when i turn it to maximum (12v) and leave the right front case fan at minimum...it is alot noisier then when the right front case fan is running at maximum..and the left front case fan at minimum.

Any help would be appreciated
Sorry for the long message hope it all makes sense.
Thanks.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:08 am

Hello,

Have you cut out the (stamped?) fan grills? This would go a long way to making it a lot quieter. If they are 23dBA, then cutting the grills should get them down close to that -- and you could under volt them, and that should make them quieter still. What kind of power plugs do the fans have?

jermaink

Post by jermaink » Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:00 am

Actually, ordering from the US isn't too expensive. I ordered 4 120mm Nexus fans from www.endpcnoise.com and the shipping was about USD $17. This is sort of expensive, but when you consider that the fans cost $16 USD ($22 AUD), that isn't expensive as good 120 mm fans in Australia cost up to $35.

I've heard that the ZM-Z1 fan isn't quiet at all (maybe at the lowest speeds it is). Would a 92 mm Nexus fan do the trick for you? Maybe check out www.endpcnoise.com and experiment with different cart combinations as you can see the shipping costs before acutally making the purchase.

emax

Post by emax » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:06 am

Hrmm i'm not really willing to cut the fan grills, but the front intake for the fans has a dust filter....would removing that decrease the noise? Oh..and the fans use 4pin Molex connections.

Well i just ordered 3 x Zalman ZM-F1's 80mm....i'll see how i go, they should be hopefully queiter...as they are suppose to use sleeve bearings, whereas the ADDA 80mm ones that come with the case use 2 ball bearings. The zalman can be run in silent mode at about 1500-1700rpm..or so. The reviews i've read and on the zalman site it says it won't produce virbration in silent mode, whereas the ADDA's do produce vibration. Umm yeh i read on newegg.com for the ZM-F1 it has alot of good reviews, everysays it's sort of loudish at normal mode..but very queit in silent mode.

I'll let you all know how i go...they should arrive tommorow.

Thanks for the suggestions though. i'll keep them in mind.

jermaink

Post by jermaink » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:41 am

That Zalman fan isn't 'well-liked'. I'm buying the FB123 fan bracket which comes with the ZM-F1. I posted about my planned cooling, and...
MikeC wrote:and... the noise. 4 nexus fans at 12V will end up being 28~29 dBA/1m. Add the Papst and you're up to 30. Forget about the Zalman fan -- it is a lousy fan. Replace it with something quieter.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:42 am

Hello:

No matter how quiet your fans may be, having restrictive grills (like many Lian Li case have) will make them noisy. And ironically, the quieter the fan, the more it will be affected by the grill, in that the air flow drops off, so that you lose any real cooling effect.

I would say that cutting the grills out -- if they are restrictive, is really the most important thing that you can do! If you have noisy fans, then cutting them out makes things quieter. If you have quiet fans, then cutting them out also reduces the noise -- but more importantly, it lets the lower air flow be as effective as it can be to cool the case as much as possible, with the "available" air flow. :P

So, if the stock Adda fans are too noisy, then I'll bet that you have to cut out the grills to get anywhere with improving the case. :)

emax

Post by emax » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:58 pm

Well i guess if he said the Zalman is lousy...it depends on how quiet you think quiet is i suppose. I should be getting them this afternoon, so i'll see if its any better. Ummm yeh the ADDA fans are noisy at 12V even though their suppose to be quiet, if i put it down slower with the controller...their ok. But i still have a feeling i got a faultly fan in the front of my case. I can run the back exhaust fan at 12V...and it is quiet compared to the two front ones...then again its probably because the front intake is more restrictive. I'll see how i go, and let you guys know. Thanks for the help.

emax

Post by emax » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:21 pm

yay courier just came...installing them now :D

emax

Post by emax » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:04 am

Well their installed and running at 1700rpm. The noise seems to be ok. But i think i'm gonna give up trying to make this case quieter, its just to hard. Oh well, thanks for the help again guys...i'm just going to leave it at this noise level...and live with it.

madd02

Post by madd02 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 1:52 am

hey emax,
i have a similar problem, my noise floor is now my case fans. I have the front stock fans(ARX) on fan mounts (silentX from modyourpc.co.nc) that makes a HUGE difference.

I removed the intake filter, but am going to put it back after i cut out some 80mm holes for those fans.

I have some acoustifans 80mm they are pretty good.

At the mo im trying to balance noise with aceptable air flow...not easy...NEED SOME 120MM fan sized holes !

So yeah:
1) fan mounts...at least some gaskets (work well with acoustifans..no vibes from these) but for your stock ones or those zalmans use some fan mounts

2) try an acoustifan from quietpc.co.nz
-i actually might have some spare if you want to buy them ? I decided against using the blow hole. just got a 120mm SEASONIC psu.

3) HEAT SINK your hot stuff...eg video ram...etc...so minimal air flow..si maximised...if that makes sence...

im tempted to order some nexus fans from the states...but just soo expensive.

chylld

Post by chylld » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:10 am

sorry for being a late post, but i highly recommend arctic cooling's "arctic fan 3" fan. i have a zalman zm-f1, a china-made panaflo, a japan-made panaflo and 3 of the arctic units... that's actually in order of decreasing noise level. the arctic cooling fans also cost much less than the panaflos and about the same as the zalmans.

emax

Post by emax » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:31 am

Hrm when i removed the front part of the case, i noticed the front fans are mounted by plastic socket things...which i guess would probably work the same as the fan mounts your talking about. Did you notice any different in noise level when removing the front intake bottom grill thing?..i was thinking of removing that. But then dust would get into the case much more easily.

Something else in my case also creates abit of amplified noise, which is the Samsung SpinPoint harddrive...its fairly quiet....but i've read that they ship with two motors....i happened to get the noisier JVC motor in mine. Ahh well....just my bad luck again...haha.

Umm yeh i was looking at the Arctic Fan 3, i would have got those, but then i changed my mind. At the moment the noise seems alright, i might just remove the front grill intake which has the dust filter...i'll see what "madd02" has to say about that.

madd02

Post by madd02 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:32 pm

Those stock fan mounts are hard plastic, and offer no decoupling ability.

The ones i have are soft silicon, so no vibrations are transmitted to the (lower density than steel) aluminuim case. Thus less noise.

As for the intake restrictions infront of the 80mm fans. I am going to keep the filter. BUT modify the thing that holds the filter in place. It has a heap of holes in it. Basically i am going to cut out 2 holes to line up with the fans...to reduce the intake restrictions.

I have a spinpoint as well, a 120p sata one. Just suspend it in your drive cage. Using 'shock cord' 55mm diameter (from boatins hardware store..at any marina) and cable clamps.

Then insulate the drive cage with EVA rubber from PARA-RUBBER (5 carr road, mt albert...) im heading the tomorrow to get some insulation foam. I think 70$ for an insulation kit is tooo much from quietpc.co.nz.

hope this helps...

private message me / or contine this thread for any other questions.... its not easy with a lian li case =)

madd02

Post by madd02 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:36 pm

I just realised that this might help you...well for some of the parts...

note
>the fan controller from dragonpc ...only 45nzd PWM though.
> cut out rear fan guard and replaced with wire grill.

my list from the vicious cycle ! thread:

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewto ... 550#196550

1) replace NB HSF with Zalman 47j (interesting mounting ...no holes ...no epoxy used)
2)Modified PSU until thermal control crapped itself.
3) just added a 100ohm pot to PSU dropping globe fan to 3v...dead silent.
4) 8500 zalman 47j mod...very handy those things
5) thermaltake ram sinks cut up and used for rams sinks on GFX card
6) CPU HS replaced with 7700alcu...blue light...peeerrrdy
7) new hard drive sp120 sata 200gb
(8) back up drive removed and put into external drive enclosure
9) case fans mounted with gaskets
10) gaskets crap for stock fans got some silicon fan mounts (heaps better)
11) new case fans...acoustifan 80mm
12) created own fan controller based on 5v trick, used silicon diodes to reduce 12v to 10v. included switch so now its a 5 - 10 switch for all case fans.
13) realised that i wanted to monitor temps...purchased fan controller LianLi tr3b...scratch genious fan controller that i created. (from dragonpc only 45 !!! )
14) a few resistors to undervolt fan controller output
15) suspended HDD bunggie cord and cable clamps..looks cool !
16) cut out rear fan guard and replaced with wire grill.
17) new PSU... i didnt like the no thermal detect, seasonic tornado 350 rev3a
18) mod new psu with fan mounts and removed grill...replaced with wire grill.

emax

Post by emax » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:04 am

Well basically everything in my case has been changed to more silent products for the CPU HSF, Videocard HSF and PSU.

CPU HSF is a Gigabyte 3D Ultra-Cooler - running in silent mode 1700rpm (very quiet)

Videocard HSF - Zalman VF700-CU @ 1350rpm (silent mode)

PSU - Antec SmartBlue (Thermally Controlled) currently goes around 1100-1300rpm. (Also very quiet).

Harddrive (Samsung Spinpoint 1213N) - makes a high pitch whine, which gets amplified with the two front case fans blowing at it for some reason. So it sounds so much louder then it actually is.

Maybe i'll get a drive enclosure or something...but i think some of them cause your harddrive to run at to high temperatures. Hrmm yeh so i dunno what i'll do next. Bah.

I don't think i can undervolt the Zalman Case Fans i got now....their running through the resistor..at 5.5V i think. (1700rpm).

emax

Post by emax » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:36 am

Maybe i should just buy a new case....i think i'm over trying to quieten this case...it's just to hard. My all Thermaltake was noisier...but it was just a louder air sound from the fans..which was way less irritating. Aluminium just makes it really bad.

What case would you guys recommend?...i'll have a look through forums and site though.

jermaink

Post by jermaink » Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:54 am

madd02 wrote:im tempted to order some nexus fans from the states...but just soo expensive.
You find Nexus fans from the US expensive? I got 4 120 mm Nexus fans from www.endpcnoise.com which ended up being AUD $27 each. What prices are you used to for quality 120 mm fans? (I'm buying a single Papst FGL4412 fan from WITHIN Australia which will cost me almost $40!

emax

Post by emax » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:31 am

I think i might buy a Antec SLK3700-BQE. Seems pretty decent after looking at some reviews here and on some other sites. I kinda regret buying this Lian-Li 6070 Case...i don't think they should even advertise it as "Quiet". Oh well....had to learn some how.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:33 pm

Hello:

The Antec SLK3000B is a better bet than the BQE -- the BQE comes with an okay PS, but it is not nearly as quiet as others, like the SeaSonics. Also, the arrangement on the HD's on the BQE are a little harder to cool -- the 3000B has slightly better air flow through the front.

emax

Post by emax » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:01 pm

The SLK3000B doesn't come with a PSU....so i would probably still have to use my Antec PSU..which i find quiet.

I'll have a look at some reviews on it now.. it looks the same on the outside.

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Sat Jul 16, 2005 8:48 pm

You guys should order 80mm yate loons from www.tekgems.com, www.pctekonline.com or silencio (in the vendor forum). You can email Mr. Kim at tekgems to arrange a group buy and see what it will all cost. If you buy a lot of them the postage shouldn't be that much per fan. They run just a little faster than nexus and put out more air, but should be undervolted anyway. One of the problems is running the fans at near or at full speed. Its not unusual to run a nexus 120 at 500rpm. Any fan will be noisy at 12v. Dropping your fan speed to about 1000rpm would probably help more than changing fans. - FG

emax

Post by emax » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:05 pm

Well it doesn't seem to be a case fan problem anymore...it's more like the case itself. So...yeh :(

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:37 pm

I quickly looked through the posts and quieting an aluminum case is a lot more problematic than a steel one. Plus you could use 120mm fans. A 3000b or p180 would be a good choice. Probably already mentioned. - FG

emax

Post by emax » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:03 pm

Yeh aluminium seems so hard to quieten, I'll probably get a SLK3000B or SLK3700BQE.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:24 am

Hello:
emax wrote:The SLK3000B doesn't come with a PSU....so i would probably still have to use my Antec PSU..which i find quiet.

I'll have a look at some reviews on it now.. it looks the same on the outside.
Well, you think it quiet -- because you are comparing it to a noisy case! But, once you get a case that allows the fans to be quieter -- you will want a quieter PS! :twisted:

Please do check out the reviews here on SPCR -- the HD cages are the main difference on the inside. They may also differ in the side vents, and of course the PS...

emax

Post by emax » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:30 am

Wow, i just got a Antec SLK3700-BQE...it is so amazing..i love it..it's so quiet. My temperatures of the videocard, cpu and hd have seemed to drop alot, thanks to the big 120mm exhaust fan and better airflow system.

Only thing was the bottom latch which clips the side panel into place is loose and won't clip properly like the top latch...so im going to ring up the store and get my case replaced. I seem to be unlucky with computer stuff. Always happens to be one fault. sigh :(

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:34 am

Hello:

You can probably fix that latch -- it is probably just a section of the metal that is "tweaked" a bit. If you look at how the latches work, you can likely just "reverse the tweak" with your fingers... :wink:

I'm glad that you are happy with the BQE! For a while it was the darling of the people here at SPCR -- but the 3000B is even quieter, because it comes with a 3-speed Antec fan, and you can buy a quieter PS than the stock one in the BQE. Also, the 3000B has better air flow through the HD cage, so the drives can be kept cooler, all else being equal.