Swapping CPU_FAN and CASE_FAN headers on motherboard ok?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

xenithon

Swapping CPU_FAN and CASE_FAN headers on motherboard ok?

Post by xenithon » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:39 am

I have a Freezer 64 cooler for which I am getting a Zalman Fanmate (because my mobo's CPU fan control is total rubbish). Furthermore, my motherboard can only control the speed of one fan, namely the CPU fan.

I am also looking into slowing down my case fans and have the dilemma of 5V possibly not starting them at all, and 7V possibly causing PSU problems due to feedback. Instead of buying another Fanmate, I had this thought: can I simply connect my case fan to the motherboard's CPU header and the Freezer (via Fanmate) to the case fan header. That will allow me to control the CPU fan with the Fanmate, and control the case fan using software such as Speedfan.

Would there be any possible problems with that?

Cheers,
X

Zorander

Post by Zorander » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:52 am

I've done that with a few systems, so I don't see why not.

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:16 am

That should be ok. Just remember that when setting up Speedfan, your case fan will be seen as CPU fan and will be reacting to CPU temp. That might make planning for airflow a bit complicated, but doable.

If Speedfan can be set to react to other temp then it would be perfect - I haven't play with Speedfan for a long time so can not tell for sure.

xenithon

Post by xenithon » Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:19 am

Won't be a problem really :) I won't (never have) used Speedfan for auto adjustment. I will manually set it to 50-60% ;)

GDukeman

Post by GDukeman » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:51 am

Current version of SpeedFan lets you assign fan control to any temperature reading.

I've used SpeedFan to set my CPU fan speed using the Case Fan connector on the motherboard since it is the only one "active" for adjustment.