How to control my fans?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

LBadvance

How to control my fans?

Post by LBadvance » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:06 pm

I got 2 120mm Yate Loon fans (the silent version) and was wondering how would i hook it up to run it at the lowest RPM and voltage as posssible (5V)

Will the yate loon fans start at 5V?

I could get 2 Fanmmate 2 controllers but they are quite expensive here. I was wondering what are my other options.

Case used is Antec Sonata.

If i want to always run at 5V can i use the 5V on the molex connector to run 2 fans or will the current be to low?

Image like the one shown below where i just connect a 3 pin header on to the molex 5V

I can easily make something like that shown above next to nothing. But the problem can i have more than 1 fan sharing the same 5V.

Thanks.

BenW

Post by BenW » Sat Aug 27, 2005 3:59 pm

I'll be making a switch next week sometime to switch my 2 nexus (yate loon) between 12v and 5v

The article i'm going to follow is here (Half way down) http://www.silentpcreview.com/article6-page1.html To stop confusion the page says IDE when it mean molex

To use 2 fans at 12v/5v you just connect them to the middle pins in parallel. So you have 2 wires going to each middle pin.

If that doesn't make sense then i'll do a diagram

LBadvance

Post by LBadvance » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:39 pm

That makes sense. So it is possible to have two fans sharing 1 5V power?
Or is the current is not enough.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:48 pm

LBadvance wrote:That makes sense. So it is possible to have two fans sharing 1 5V power?
Or is the current is not enough.
Since you're connecting to the molex pin of your power supply, you can easily power 2 fans off a shared connector.
[size=75][url=http://www.twolf1300.net/sthayashi/SPCR/systems.html]My Power Rig, Storage Rig, HTPC and Main Rig[/url][/size]