Replacing Fans for Dell XPS Gen 4

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Zefram0911

Replacing Fans for Dell XPS Gen 4

Post by Zefram0911 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:56 am

Help! I'm new to the forums and this is actually my first post. When I first got my Gen 4 it was loud as hell! After I replaced the stock cooling on my X850XT PE with the Ati Silencer 5 rev. 2, the noise and, as a bonus, temperatures came down substantially. Thank God!

Plainly stated... my goal is to make the quietest Dell XPS Gen 4 I can make. The thing runs in my room 24/7.

The specs on my computer are below:

My questions are these:

1) Does anyone know exactly what size fans are in the Dell XPS Gen 4? I think there are two 92mm rear ones. Both are near the middle of the case by the CPU. One sucks in air, one blows it out. Both are covered by a huge green plastic shroud with a divider in between. And then there's one 80mm (but it might be 92mm) on the clamshell (the door that swings open). Are there more fans that I'm missing?

2) What fans can I replace them with ... without burning up my CPU? I'm really leaning towards the Nexus Real Silent ones, but I'm afraid that they may not give me enough airflow for my P4 3.46Ghz EE. Are the Nexus fans adequate for my needs? I'm really favoring them. FYI, the stock Dell 92mm rear fans are Nidecs, I don't have the model number. Any Dell XPS users doing any fan mods out there with comments would be appreciated.

3) After I replace the rear 92mm fans, what should my configuration of the fans be? Should I take off the shroud mentioned in #1 (I think it's suppose to help airflow towards the heatsink, because it covers it completely) OR should I take off the shroud completely. Also which way should the fans be pointing (both sucking in air or both blowing it out)? Or one of each like with the stock Nidecs?

3) There's an air splitter (at least that's what someone called it) near the front of the case. It's a green piece of plastic that is grated... Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I think it may house an 80mm fan, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know?

4) I think I heard that you could also put a 120mm fan in the front? I'm a little skeptical on that one. I'd rather have a 120mm fan pulling in air than a tiny 80mm one.

5) Lastly, I forgot if my motherboard has a chipset fan on it. Can anyone familar with Dell computers tell me if it does and if it does, what chipset fan I can replace it with? Remember, quietness being paramount and cooling second.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated. You guys have really given me a lot of insight and I've learned a lot just lerking these forums. Thanks in advance!

I just want things to be more quiet! I think I've become obsessed like you guys!

Zefram0911

Post by Zefram0911 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:52 am

no one? I'm sorry if this is a nub question.

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:01 pm

Sorry to say, but Dell usually engineers their computers quite well. If they could make it quiet, they would. Stories of people with lower powered Dells have mentioned that they were somewhat quiet.

If you want to quiet your Dell, you'll have to do a lot more than simply swapping fans. Heatsink replacement should be under consideration, and/or case transplant.

That said, turn off your computer and have a look at the fans for us. You can tell us the model numbers of the fans and we might be able to tell you something about them (or you could try looking up said model numbers on the fans). You're closer to your fans than we are, so for fan size measurements, pull out a ruler or measuring tape. 80mm fans are 80mm by 80mm. Can you guess what 92mm fan dimensions are? The hole pattern is usually about 10mm closer than the actual fan width, so you could even measure the distance between the mounting holes if you wanted.

If there are no model numbers, however, you're pretty well f***ed because I don't think anyone here knows what fans Dell used in your computer.

BenW

Post by BenW » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:18 am

Lower power dells are very quiet because they use 1 thermally controlled case fan and 1 quiet PSU fan

Dells tend to throw up an error message on boot if you replace the standard case fans but its just a case of pressing F1 or something on each boot to pass the error

Zefram0911

Post by Zefram0911 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:29 pm

Thanks for the input...

I don't have a low powered Dell though, mine's freakishly top of the line... well was 9 months ago when I first got it.

I do have 92mm rear fans... they're the Nidec Model TA 350DC... what's a good replacement?

No one with Dell experience here? Hehe... thanks for all the help!

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:10 pm

Zefram0911 wrote:I do have 92mm rear fans... they're the Nidec Model TA 350DC... what's a good replacement?
Any idea which TA350DC you have?
Low speed
Medium Speed

Zefram0911

Post by Zefram0911 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:05 am

sthayashi wrote:
Zefram0911 wrote:I do have 92mm rear fans... they're the Nidec Model TA 350DC... what's a good replacement?
Any idea which TA350DC you have?
Low speed
Medium Speed
dammit those Dell bastards... hehe, anyways, the two links feature fans that have only minor differences... still.. any suggestions?

sthayashi
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by sthayashi » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:40 pm

I don't wanna recommend any suggestions, because if I recommend a fan that doesn't cool as well, it could f*** up your expensive system. Not something I want on my conscience. The 92mm Nexus theoretically blows as much as the slowest fan listed on Nidec's site. Panaflo 92mm L1A blows as much as the fastest fan, but it's hardly the quietest fan out there.

christopher3393

Post by christopher3393 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:17 pm

I have an XPS gen 4 and have been told that the fans cannot be replaced.They have heat sensors and are set up with a "proprietary relationship" w/ motherboard and BIOS. If you change fans without changing BIOS, I'm told that the system won't boot and you'll get an error message. Sorry if this is vague, but I'm a novice.