Power fans seperately?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Jordan

Power fans seperately?

Post by Jordan » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:45 am

I'm looking for a small power supply that will allow me to connect a 4-pin or 3-pin plug just for testing individual fans outside of a case with no other noise sources. It's just for comparing the noise of different fans.

Anyone know of anything? Or how I could EASILY rig something like this up?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:14 am

In the USA......go to a Radio Shack store and buy a small power supply that plugs into a wall socket. These are available with a voltage adjustment switch.....like 2.8-12V.

I just splice a few spare connectors on the end, so I can hook up a 3 or 4-wire fan.

Bob_the_lost

Re: Power fans seperately?

Post by Bob_the_lost » Fri Sep 23, 2005 3:49 am

Jordan wrote:I'm looking for a small power supply that will allow me to connect a 4-pin or 3-pin plug just for testing individual fans outside of a case with no other noise sources. It's just for comparing the noise of different fans.

Anyone know of anything? Or how I could EASILY rig something like this up?
A bit of wire and a universal adapter would do the job, or if you're like me and have about fifty old adapters for broken hardware you could just bodge one from them.

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:14 am

Ahh, actually I have a power adaptor with interchangeable pulgs and voltages. So I just remove the plug and hook up the wires :) It completely escaped my mind that I had that.

Thanks

Lubb

Post by Lubb » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:05 pm

Wallblock adaptors usually have little to no regulation, so the fans might sound noisier hooked up to one of them than they would on a real PSU. Why not just use a cheap generic PSU with the proper wires shorted over?
~

mathias

Post by mathias » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:12 pm

Lubb wrote:Wallblock adaptors usually have little to no regulation
So that would be why one of my "4.5v" adapters, with nothing connected, is measured as 7.5v with a multimeter?

Jordan

Post by Jordan » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:45 am

Lubb wrote:Wallblock adaptors usually have little to no regulation, so the fans might sound noisier hooked up to one of them than they would on a real PSU. Why not just use a cheap generic PSU with the proper wires shorted over?
~
THe reason I'm looking to do this is to isolate the fans as the only noise source, with a cheap PSU the noise would be a problem.

I suppose I could use my Shuttle Zen, power it up, enter the BIOS, unplug the sole fan and use it to plug fans into and test since it has a passive PSU. It's more hassle though as the sides of the Zen have thick Mutemat Plus applied so it's difficult to fit/remove the cover.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:55 am

I thought it's not a good idea to run the PSU for any length of time with just the two correct pins shorted?

I should probably get or find a powerpack like that someday.... right now I have a cheap battery holder that holds 8 AA batteries in series and I just stick the ends of the wires into the fan connector. :lol: Good for listening for a short while.

cpemma

Post by cpemma » Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:09 pm

I use this Maplin power block for GP testing, a range of regulated voltages and 1.2A max will cope with most needs. Pick up a line or panel-mount connector to mate with one of the plugs, makes it easier to connect to other fittings. :)

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:07 pm

Jordan wrote:THe reason I'm looking to do this is to isolate the fans as the only noise source, with a cheap PSU the noise would be a problem.
I use a cheap fanless AT power supply for testing of fan noise, as well as testing of hard drive idle whine. How did I acheive both "cheap" and "fanless"? Take a wild guess... :twisted:

mathias

Post by mathias » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:32 pm

IsaacKuo wrote:How did I acheive both "cheap" and "fanless"? Take a wild guess... :twisted:
Submerging it in oil? Attaching old CPU heatsinks to the components?

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:19 pm

Anybody heard about batteries?

cpemma

Post by cpemma » Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:52 pm

IsaacKuo wrote: How did I acheive both "cheap" and "fanless"? Take a wild guess... :twisted:
Sold the casing as scrap metal & waft it with your cap.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:36 pm

Hmm...maybe what I did isn't as completely obvious as I thought. I just removed the fan from a fanned AT power supply. It's not going to overheat from powering just a piddly fan or a single hard drive. And even if it did--so what? I've got a bunch of old junked AT power supplies.

BrianE

Post by BrianE » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:34 pm

IsaacKuo wrote:Hmm...maybe what I did isn't as completely obvious as I thought. I just removed the fan from a fanned AT power supply. It's not going to overheat from powering just a piddly fan or a single hard drive. And even if it did--so what? I've got a bunch of old junked AT power supplies.
LOL :lol:

Ah, now it makes perfect sense.... no doubt they are left over from your "fan harvesting" cottage industry? :mrgreen:

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:54 pm

I use a 12V train transformer that had been sitting in my closet for about 15 years... it has barely enough power to run more than one 120mm fan, but it works.

IsaacKuo

Post by IsaacKuo » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:41 am

BrianE wrote:
IsaacKuo wrote:I just removed the fan from a fanned AT power supply. It's not going to overheat from powering just a piddly fan or a single hard drive. And even if it did--so what? I've got a bunch of old junked AT power supplies.
LOL :lol:

Ah, now it makes perfect sense.... no doubt they are left over from your "fan harvesting" cottage industry? :mrgreen:
Yep! When I see an old Pentium system, I don't see a router/firewall or an X terminal. I see an 80mm fan and a bunch of molex connectors. ;)