Something I thought of

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ryan

Something I thought of

Post by Ryan » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:24 pm

Seeing how fan grommets are too stiff to really silence the fans...

Being a watercooling guy, I know for a fact that if you boil the tubing, it softens and becomes more flexable. Theoretically, if you boil some of those rubber grommets, they should become soft, and absorb more vibrations.

just something I thought of.

teejay
Patron of SPCR

Post by teejay » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:59 am

Yay! Another silence-freak action my girlfriend can make fun of! I think I'll postpone this particular action until I'm *sure* she's out of the house; it offers FAR to many ways for her to make more fun of my obse <<< hobby.
G/F wrote:Hi honey... oh, what's for dinner?
G/F to some other G wrote:Well, I finally got him in the kitchen cooking, but we're not there yet
G/F at some party wrote:You think yours is silly? What 'till you hear what mine did: he's started cooking computer bits to make them more quiet!
:D :D :D :D :D

Seriously though, I'm not sure this would work for silicone-based grommets but it could have some effect on rubber grommets and such. But wouldn't the material degrade easier after being heated?

hyperq

Post by hyperq » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:04 pm

Suspension is the way to go. Antec has finally caught up with this well known secret and built suspension mechanisms into their latest P150. Many SCPR members have long been buying the SLK3000B case because they can suspend the entire hard drive cage in it. Suspend your hard drives if you can. It beats those rubber grommets by miles.

chylld

Post by chylld » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:34 pm

that sounded silly the instant i read it but now after 3 more seconds' thought i think Ryan might be onto something. how about using dc power from the psu (a small amount) to heat the isolating rubber/whatnot to the point where it's soft and flexible? having done my fair share of watercooling, i know very well that sticking very stiff tubing in hot water for even a few seconds turns it into very soft and pliable stuff.

so i'm thinking along the lines of... a powered fan isolator :) about 3mm thick rubber that goes between the fan and the chassis, with a wire running through it and a 3-pin fan bypass connector so it can pull power in parallel off the same fan power wire as the fan itself.

it'd be quite cheap to make, and most probably cheaper than the existing silicone ones (let alone sorbothane!). any more ideas?

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:50 am

stop eating the grommets,they give you funny ideas :D