rubber/silicon washers/grommets

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

kenyee

rubber/silicon washers/grommets

Post by kenyee » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:56 pm

Where do you guys get your rubber/silicone washers to put between screws and your case to quiet things like fans and hard drives down? I couldn't find any posting on it via forum search.
I stopped by a local Home Depot, but their smaller rubber washers are way too big to use w/ computer screws :-P

Trying to avoid hefty shipping charges for these ultralight items ;-)

Cams
Friend of SPCR

Post by Cams » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:32 pm

I was looking for this very thing yesterday to isolate my fans with cable ties (zip ties to the Americans). I ended up getting the same thing I got for my other system, some rubber sealing rings from the plumbing dept. They're a little on the hard side but they seem to work fine in my other system so they should do the job. I couldn't find anything softer and contemplated hacking up a rubber (eraser to the Americans) with a Stanley knife. I'll stick with the rubber sealing rings though.

Try your local plumbing department.

kenyee

Post by kenyee » Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:35 am

I think we though of the same thing (we call them rubber washers here which you guys call rubber sealing rings). Unfortunately, at the Home Depot, the smallest ones they have a 1/2" in outer diameter which look pretty huge. The inner diameter looks too big too, so the case screws would probably go right through :-P

tjpark1111

Post by tjpark1111 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:04 am

get vantec's soft mounting kit for fans.

9000rpm

Post by 9000rpm » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:39 am

I just ordered the Nexus package. Expensive (in Canada).

http://www.nexustechnologyusa.com/c/ntu ... d=DVhUCThN

Kythe

Post by Kythe » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:47 am

This may be what you're looking for:

http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/loadpage.a ... ng+Grommet

Specifically, the "Inside Diameter Ribbed Grommets". For hard drives, I think the part number to use would be 9311K138 (5/32" inside diameter, for use with standard 6-32 thread hard drive screws).

You'll need to use those with shoulder bolts, though. The one I'd use would be part number 94045A525.

You can choose locking or plain threads, and the type of head for the screw. The number I listed was for phillips head, non-locking.

Of course, if you're looking to mount a 3.5" hard drive in a 5.25" drive bay, you'll need longer screws. Not sure which ones to use then.

If I've made any mistakes, hopefully someone will step in and correct me!

Imvd85

Post by Imvd85 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:53 pm

I don't think any kind of washers are effective.I have tried the the Vantek fan dampeners and I was totally dissapointed.
I think the only worthwhile products for fan vibration dampening is the ones sold by www.quietpc.com developed by AcoustiProducts.There is also a review of these on SPCR.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:46 pm

Imvd85 wrote:I don't think any kind of washers are effective.I have tried the the Vantek fan dampeners and I was totally dissapointed.
I think the only worthwhile products for fan vibration dampening is the ones sold by www.quietpc.com developed by AcoustiProducts.There is also a review of these on SPCR.
Do you mean the "AcoustiFan Ultra Soft Fan Mounts"?

Imvd85

Post by Imvd85 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:24 pm

Yes.I have tested these with an 12cm Akasa Amber fan and an aluminum case and the results were zero vibrational noise from 5v to 9/10v.At maximun speed (1400rpm) a very slight buzz was appeared.However, without them the noise was outrageous.For running a fan quietly, these are perfect.

I have also tested rubber grommets from other vendors and I found out they weren't worth my time and even more the money I spent on them.The trick is the grommet to be as soft as possible and to leave a considerable space between the fan and the case.
Vantec fan gaskets and washers are not effective at all (very thin and hard).I also have an Acousti Fan Gasket which when tested did provide a noticeable reduction in vibrational noise because of its enhanced thickness and softness but definitely inferior to that of the Acousti fan mounts.So I preferred the latter.
I hope this helped.

Stephen

Post by Stephen » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:33 pm

Do you know if they will work with the Antec TriCool fans in the Antec P180 case?

Or is there anyone else out there that has tried this combo?

Imvd85

Post by Imvd85 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:17 pm

I can't think why they wouldn't.
They are a perfect replacement of screws for all fans with open corners.
Just make sure your case has the standard holes ,perfectly aligned with the actual fan's holes, (if it is Antec's, then it does) and is not using fan holders with different hole orientation (like Thermaltake cases).
If your fan is close-cornered (like the Nexus) or your case uses fan holders with different hole placement, then their installation would involve some modding.Check this http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=18368 for the first situation and for the senond situation there is a thread on SPCR that might be of help but I can't find it right now.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:31 pm

Imvd85 wrote:Yes.I have tested these with an 12cm Akasa Amber fan and an aluminum case and the results were zero vibrational noise from 5v to 9/10v.At maximun speed (1400rpm) a very slight buzz was appeared.However, without them the noise was outrageous.For running a fan quietly, these are perfect.
"These"? Quiet PC has lotsa different parts. Can you be specific? I like recommendations from folks who have hands-on experience with something, but I need to know what that something is! :D

Imvd85

Post by Imvd85 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:38 pm

"These" in "Yes.I have tested these with an ..." refers to the Acousti Fan Mounts.
I was answering to the previous message: "Do you mean the "AcoustiFan Ultra Soft Fan Mounts"?".

tjpark1111

Post by tjpark1111 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:28 pm

for the ultra soft acoustifan fan mounts, does ordering 1 of them mean it comes with 4 soft screws to accomodate 1 fan or do I have to order 4 quantities to mount one fan?

Imvd85

Post by Imvd85 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:51 am

tjpark1111, all the necessary information is available on quietpc.com ( http://www.quietpc.com/uk/casefansacc.php ) .
Notice the Header: " Acousti Ultra-Soft Arrowhead Fan Mounts, qty 8 for 2 fans - £3.50 (£4.12 inc VAT) - In stock ".
So, a single unit of the Acousti Fan Mounts includes 8 grommets, enough for 2 fans.

tjpark1111

Post by tjpark1111 » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:12 pm

thx very much. I would have been confused again because it says qty 8, meaning I was going to buy 8 of those lol. thx again.

aumimk

Post by aumimk » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:39 pm

Imvd85 wrote:I can't think why they wouldn't.
They are a perfect replacement of screws for all fans with open corners.
Just make sure your case has the standard holes ,perfectly aligned with the actual fan's holes, (if it is Antec's, then it does) and is not using fan holders with different hole orientation (like Thermaltake cases).
If your fan is close-cornered (like the Nexus) or your case uses fan holders with different hole placement, then their installation would involve some modding.Check this http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=18368 for the first situation and for the senond situation there is a thread on SPCR that might be of help but I can't find it right now.
I have got a Thermaltae Tsunami which has fan brackets for the front and rear 120mm fans, any help with the ideal method of using noise dampeners would be greatly appreciated.

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:44 pm

The brackets in the Tsunami have a different hole pattern than the 120mm fans. So the methods in this thread won't work. But have a look at the Zip-Tie Fan Mount Method....DIY by Bluefront.

And aumimk:
Welcome to SPCR

aumimk

Post by aumimk » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:07 pm

Thanks Tibors,

That's certainly an ingenious solution. I'm giong to mount evercool fans so i'm not sure if they'd be to heavy for that solution to be practical. Given their weight is it ever worthwhile going for a grommet solution?

I'd like to avoid drilling new holes if I can.