Noisy Fan Controller?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

quizzicus

Noisy Fan Controller?

Post by quizzicus » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:28 am

I was trying to root out this pesky whine emanating from my computer, and eventually noticed that it diminished and disappeared as I turned the voltages up on my Vantec Nexus fan controller (though the fans get louder at the same time, so this isn't a solution.) After removing a few parts and listening around, I have come to the conclusion that it is the potentiometers themselves that are responsible for the noise. Is this possible? If this is indeed the case, is there anything I can do to fix the problem?

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:37 pm

The Nexus uses pulse width modulation to reduce the output voltage. With some fans, this causes noise problems. If this is indeed the problem (it might not be), then using a Zalman Fanmate II on the offending fan will eliminate the problem. The Fanmate uses linear, not switching, circuitry to reduce the voltage.

I had believed that Nexus used L-C filtering on its output to minimize the problem you're describing. It's possible that your particular model does not have this, or that for some reason (bad cap?) the filtering is ineffective.

I believe the Fanmate will likely solve your problem.

quizzicus

Post by quizzicus » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:53 pm

The combined knowledge of the SPCR user base never ceases to amaze me.

I own a fanmate, but am looking for something that will allow me to control the voltage externally. Do you know if any of these drive bay devices use the linear circuitry you described?

Al

Post by Al » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:59 pm

It is possible to add such a filter inline with your current fan controller, to replace the faulty/non-existent one in your Nexus; if, as Felger Carbon rightly states, that is indeed the problem... mCubed make one, they call it an "Attenuator" or something like that.

Bobthebuilder

Post by Bobthebuilder » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:17 am

I have the same problem it's driving me nuts :(

Thing was bloody louder than my entire pc :lol:

I noticed it after like a few months when I began silencing .. before my pc was so loud i couldn't tell lol!

So now I can't rma it anymore =(

Im getting the zalman fancontroller reviews are always good and it's basicly 4 fanmates so it should work well with all my fans *jay*