Dead mCubed T-Balancer

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

rperezlo

Dead mCubed T-Balancer

Post by rperezlo » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:54 am

One month ago I turned on my computer after a long weekend off and I immediately noticed that the fans connected to my T-Balancer didn't make the usual turn on noises (stop - full speed for a few seconds - stop). Instead, the fans stayed at full speed all the time.

When trying to connect with the software I get a 'Timeout while reading system answer' error. However, the unit is detected and identified correctly in the Hardware part of the Control Panel.

I've tried both drivers and several versions of the software with no success. Firmware update mode neither works, it says it can't open the connection to the unit. I have also disconnected all fans and temperature sensors for if a short existed somewhere without success.

Any idea on how to solve this problem? mCubed used to be very responsive but I've sent them two emails in the last 3 weeks with no answer.

sundevil_1997

Post by sundevil_1997 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:57 am

Well, from a lack of other ideas, have you tried plugging it into a different USB port? Stranger things have happened.....

mrzadoc

Post by mrzadoc » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:02 am

Have you tried starting it with the T-Balancer unplugged from the USB?

My understanding is that the connection to the USB and the software/drivers is only for the purpose of changing settings. Once your settings have been made then the card can "satndalone". I don't have a T-Balancer ... yet (rubs hands together anxiously while awaiting delivery).

If it works properly after unplugging, then you know the fault is in commonications/software.

rperezlo

Post by rperezlo » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:51 pm

Thanks for your ideas, but I have had no success so far. I've tried in different USB 2.0 ports, through a USB 1.1 hub (I read somewhere that the T-Balancer doesn't like USB 2.0 ports) and with a laptop that only has USB 1.1. The result is always the same.

And when unplugged, the fans stay always at 100%, no way to change it.

Any other ideas? I think this unit will have to go back to mCubed to be reprogrammed. At least this possibility is offered in their web page, although I haven't received an answer from them yet.

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:02 pm

[ranting mode]For some reason mCubed has become much less responsive lately - may be there're many products now but not enough manpower to handle? victim of their own success?[/ranting mode]

Sorry about the rant - back to your problem. I think the USB 1.1/2.0 thingy doesn't really matter. Yours sounds like it's either a software/drivers mess-up problem or a hardware (microprocessor) problem. If it's the latter, only mCubed can solve it.

To ensure that it's not the software/drivers issue, here's my usual checklist before sending it to mCubed (yes, I have to send it back to mCubed once :wink: ):

1. Use only external USB cable, unplug the USB cable.
2. Uninstall all drivers (API,VCP) based on mCubed's instruction.
3. Uninstall software, restart Window (I'm superstitious :lol: ).
4. Plug in the USB cable, don't install any driver yet - visual check the LED lights, red LED for USB connectivity, 4 amber LEDs for T-balancer initialization which should stay on for a while and then blinking.
5. Check in Window's Device Manager whether the drivers have magically reinstall itself (seriously, this happened to me a few times with T-balancer) - if yes, uninstall it from Device Manager again.
6. If all clear, unplug the USB cable and then install software (I would use the latest version) then proceed as if this is your first time with T-balancer i.e. start with VCP drivers, firmware update, API Drivers. Normally, I'll set new profiles and not use the saved ones.

These steps has helped me to identify issues with T-balancer. Hope it helps you too. Good Luck.

rperezlo

Post by rperezlo » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:47 pm

Thanks again for your answer.

I've done all that you suggest and more in terms of software and USB but I didn't remember what was the power up LED sequence. In mine only the USB LED lights when plugged to USB, all the other LEDs in the T-Balancer are off even at start up. The LEDs in the temperature sensors are ON all the time.

I guess it's dead and should go back for repair. I hope mCubed answers soon and that shipment isn't too expensive.

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:34 am

rperezlo wrote:.., all the other LEDs in the T-Balancer are off even at start up....
Ouch...that's exactly what happened in my case when I have to send it to mCubed.

rperezlo

Post by rperezlo » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:58 am

I just got an email from Maik asking me to send it back to Austria. They will check, repair and reprogram it.

patord

Post by patord » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:28 pm

Hmm. I own a bunch of these t-balancers, and wondered if I ever had to get warranty work done... how much of a pain it would be to ship it off to a distant far off land (with me being in the USA).

Did it cost any of you an arm and leg to get it shipped to Austria, enough to justify just buying another one outright? How fast was mCubed's turnaround - for those that had ones already repaired?

TIA

rperezlo

Post by rperezlo » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:38 pm

Shipping from Spain to Austria was 8 € (about $10). This is the cheapest rate and delivery takes three days.

I can't tell you about turnaround yet, I hope it doesn't take too long.

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:31 am

IIRC, it cost me about the same i.e. USD 10 to ship via registered airmail (in bubble envelope).

It took almost a month from the day I sent it out to the day I got it back - not too bad considering airmail normally take 10 days to arrive, one way. :)

rperezlo

Post by rperezlo » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:52 am

My t-Balancer is now back and fixed! It seems to be working well and I'd say it is a refurbished unit, not the one I sent (no problem at all with being refurbished as long as it works).

I sent it on January 19th and it came back yesterday, that means 19 days turn around time. It was sent forth and back using regular mail, so that I guess it stayed no more than 4 or 5 working days in the mCubed office.

Thanks Maik & mCubed...