CPU Temperature Measuring

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

sando

CPU Temperature Measuring

Post by sando » Wed May 17, 2006 2:33 am

Not sure if this is the right forum, but seemed more related to monitoring than the main cpu forum...

I was just wondering a little bit about how the cpu temp behaves, how it's measured, what's normal.

The reason I ask is that I'm not sure whether the readings I'm getting from my cpu are realistic.

I have a 2 GHz Celeron (Northwood) and at idle temperatures of around 25C are reported, which rises in the space of a couple of minutes to about 40 ish if stressed with CPUburn.

Is this normal? Those temps seem quite low to me. I have a Zalman CNPS 9500, but I remember getting very similar resutls with the stock cooler, though the fan on that was running at full speed.

Also, on my PC at work (just for comparisson), a P III 1 GHz (coppermine), produced idle temps of 40C which jump immediately to 65C when stressed. Has this difference got something to with an IHS or lack of?

I'm somewhat confused on the subject, and any information would be appreciated, however, my most important question is: Can I trust the temperatures indicated for my home machine, and if not, how would you suggest I go about monitoring them? (as cheaply as possible)

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Wed May 17, 2006 2:54 am

Reading the SPCR article Calibrate Your CPU Temp Reporting will answer most of what you ask above.

sando

Post by sando » Wed May 17, 2006 4:10 am

Cheers, looks like it should help lots.