Any solution re: Antec Tricool intermittent clicking noise?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

davidstone28

Any solution re: Antec Tricool intermittent clicking noise?

Post by davidstone28 » Fri May 19, 2006 10:54 am

Alas, one of the Tricools in my P180 has caught the dreaded intermittent clicking disease.

Happens about 10% - 20% of the time. Increasing or lowering the RPM doesn't solve the problem. Sometimes the clicking disappears of its own accord. Other times, its a case of turning off the desktop and using the laptop....

Did a search of the forums, but only came up with various posts where people have reported the problem.

Any suggestions for possible solutions?

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Fri May 19, 2006 1:07 pm

Any suggestions for possible solutions?
I'm not being sarcastic, but have you thought about getting a new fan? Yate Loon 120mm are available from Silencio on Ebay for less than £10, the Thermaltake Silent Wheel is cheap and supposed to be very quiet.

nomoon

Post by nomoon » Fri May 19, 2006 2:24 pm

I have a hair-brained theory about the intermittant clicking in the Antec Tricool fans. I had this same problem with my Tricools in my P180 which I replaced with Globalwins. Once I removed the Tricools, I noticed that the back of each fan has a sticker. The sticker on both of my fans were partially attached. This wasn't obvious until I removed the fan. I wondered it the clicking may have been caused by the sticker rubbing against the grill. The clicking noise had a quality that was similar to the clicking sound my flicking the sticker with my finger. A quick test for you would be to remove the fan and see if your stickers are loose. If they are, then remove them and then reattach the fan.

Beside the clicking sound, the other reason that I replaced them was because the Antecs do not have an RPM monitor. My system is much quieter now with my GlobalWins because I use Speedfan which allows me to run them as slow as possible.

Jason

nomoon

Post by nomoon » Tue May 23, 2006 9:33 am

Any updates on eliminating the clicking noise? Is the "sticker" theory valid?