Need a good 80mm fan

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DontMakeMeEatU

Need a good 80mm fan

Post by DontMakeMeEatU » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:42 pm

Since my case has a 80mm fan slot behind the harddrives, I decided to get a little cooling for them. I need it to be pretty quiet at full speed and still have a decent cfm.

kesv

Re: Need a good 80mm fan

Post by kesv » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:21 am

DontMakeMeEatU wrote:Since my case has a 80mm fan slot behind the harddrives, I decided to get a little cooling for them. I need it to be pretty quiet at full speed and still have a decent cfm.
The fans listed in the recommended section are still good: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page2.html

Note that any airflow over the drives is better than none, so even a low speed fan will improve the cooling. 20 cfm will be plenty. Apart from the SPCR recommended fans, there are some user recommendations in the fans section of the forum.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:01 pm

Hello,

I just got a couple of the Enermax "Enlobal" bearing 80mm fans today, and they are pretty good, indeed. Compared to my four+ year old NMB fans, they are very similar. The NMB's are 18CFM and rated at 18dBA, and I'd guess the Enlobal is 19-20dBA? I am comparing them at 12v.

I'll also put in a good word for the Enermax with the thermistor control on it -- at it's minimum speed, it is quieter than the above two fans, though obviously it is not running at 12v.Image