Replace Lian Li 80 mm case fans??

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Lkdog

Replace Lian Li 80 mm case fans??

Post by Lkdog » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:24 pm

Have done a good bit of reading here and really enjoy the articles and the forum info here.

I recently replaced my stock Intel HSF with an Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro 7 with great cooling results and it is much quieter.

Now I am getting interested in making my computer more quiet.
The LIAN Li case is one of their standard mid size ones.
It has two front Adda 80 mm intake fans, a top 80 mm exhaust fan, and a rear 80 mm exhaust fan. I also have an Antec TP II 550 power supply which has an exhaust fan.

Is it worth replacing the Lian Li case fans?

I think if i recall they are rated at around 23 db and 26 CFM or something close to that at full speed. The Lian Li does have a regulator for the Top blowhole fan or maybe the two intake fans-I can't tell) which must change the voltage from 12 to 9 to 7 or something. I have them set on the low setting.

The case rings a bit as it is aluminum. (ANy cheap DIY solutions welcome here :) )

Any suggestions for 80 mm fans which would be quieter and still do the job?

In Speed Fan 4.29 my:

My CPU temp is 16 C at idle and gets over 22-23 C with load in Prime 95.
HD temps are 31 C idle
Mobo temp is 32 C idle.

The Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro 7 is quite a product (and only $21!!) at least in my setup with this CPU. Idle CPU temps were 39-40 C before. I was shocked at the change. Actually I thought something was wrong.
I went into BIOS to doublecheck and it said 25 C which made sense as the BIOS CPU temp reads 10 C higher than Speed Fan. I am able to lower the Arctic CPU fan to 60% and it is very quiet and still keeps the CPU at 18-19 C at idle then.

Any input is welcome.
Last edited by Lkdog on Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Noni

Post by Noni » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:31 pm

Hi there,

I would remove the top blowhole fan, as the PSU is working better and it would yeild the same temps with lower noise.

Undervolt the fans, find a good noise/performance ratio and stick with it :).

Thanks.

Lkdog

Post by Lkdog » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:17 pm

Undervolt the fans, find a good noise/performance ratio and stick with it
Ok, I am going to sound stupid. How does one undervolt the fans? The rear one goes into the mobo.
The other three connect to std Molex connectors but the two front intakes have three pin connectors that connect it to some converter for the spped control thingies.

Noni

Post by Noni » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:20 pm

In that case it might be worth getting a Zalman fanmate 2 or slimilar.

Check here :)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... itesearch=

Be careful, if done wrong it might kill your PSU.

Thanks.

the_smell
Patron of SPCR

Post by the_smell » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:14 am

Sounds like your Lian Li cases has a switch on the front which controls the voltage of the front two fans. I would seriously consider replacing the fans though in the long run if they're anything like the original ones in the PC-60 I had. Also if the rear exhaust grill is very airflow restrictive it would be useful to chop it out any maybe even get a 80-120mm duct and have a bigger fan.

Lkdog

Post by Lkdog » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:53 pm

I figured out the switch does control the front two fans.
It must change the voltage to them as they get quieter on the lowest setting.
The mobo temp and CPU temps go up a little when I have the top fan off, and the front fans on low setting, and the CPU fan at 70%.
CPU goes up to 19-20 C.
Mobo temp goes up to 33-34 C.
Still happy with that.

They are Adda AD0812LB-A76GL fans.
26.4 CFM and 23 DB at full voltage according to some specs I found.

The rear exhaust is the same fan.

ecto

Re: Replace Lian Li 80 mm case fans??

Post by ecto » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:22 am

Lkdog wrote:Is it worth replacing the Lian Li case fans?
Imo it is, yes. I have the same case and replaced three fans (I don't use the top one, I covered that hole up) with Panaflo L1A's. It made a big difference for me. And considering your temps are so low I guess you could run all your fans at 5 volts without fearing high temperatures.

Lkdog

Post by Lkdog » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:06 am

Ecto-

Thanks for the reply.
I checked and it is a PC-60 case. I went and looked at the box in my backroom. :D

Will check into the Panaflo 80 mm fans.

I am still shocked at what the Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro 7 did with the CPU.
I gives me soem options I think in terms of making the system quieter.
Apparently these Pentium D CPU's are notorious for heat and I certainly was not crazy about the idle and load temps I was getting with the stock Intel HSF.

Am also going to try some case dampening stuff. Off to the hardware store for something cheap!

:)

qviri

Post by qviri » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:44 am

I am sorry, but a sensor that reads 20*C idle and 30*C for load of a Pentium D with an AC Freezer is incorrect.

Lkdog

Post by Lkdog » Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:45 pm

I am sorry, but a sensor that reads 20*C idle and 30*C for load of a Pentium D with an AC Freezer is incorrect.
Actually the CPU temp in the BIOS is 26-30 C at idle.
Before the Arctic Cooler I was getting 39-40 C at idle in Smart Fan in Windows and 50 C in the BIOS at idle. The BIOS reads 10 C higher. I am guessing it reads from a different place or uses a different method.

I am getting the same exact temps in Windows using Asus Probe also.
I am as surprised as anyone.

Jerry

Post by Jerry » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:14 pm

Lkdog wrote:
Actually the CPU temp in the BIOS is 26-30 C at idle.
Before the Arctic Cooler I was getting 39-40 C at idle in Smart Fan in Windows and 50 C in the BIOS at idle. The BIOS reads 10 C higher. I am guessing it reads from a different place or uses a different method.

I am getting the same exact temps in Windows using Asus Probe also.
I am as surprised as anyone.
I'd use the BIOS reading...

Lkdog

Post by Lkdog » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:43 am

I'd use the BIOS reading...
I wonder when people report temps which they use. I see people using SmartFan, Asus Probe, Motherboard Monitor, and even other special programs that allegedly read different sensors than the popularly available ones noted.

I have also read that the BIOS reading reports a temp representing under load in the ASUS AMI Bios and that is why it is higher, but that is just some guy's theory.

Before I bought this fan I went through the 250+ user reviews (FWIW) on Newegg. Most people reported modest improvements, a few reported pretty low temps with Penium D Chips similar to mine.
I thought they were a little off in their reporting also.

In any event it matches up well with this CPU (stepping (C) which is supposed to require less power so maybe less heat) in my system.

You never know about some stuff in your setup until you give it a try sometimes. This had been a pleasant surprise and now it looks like I can turn off, turn down, or replace some of these noisy fans.

:D