Strip casing off of fanmate

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

quielb

Strip casing off of fanmate

Post by quielb » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:40 pm

I like my fanmate controllers. But they are to ugly to put on the outside of the case. And I can't adjust fanspeed when they are in the inside of the case.

I was thinking I could strip off the plastic casing. The insides look about the width of a pci slot. Drill some holes in a pci slot cover and attach.

Has anyone stripped a fanmate case before? It looks like its just glued together.

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by ultraboy » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:17 am

It's not glued, just snap on cover. Using small flathead screwdriver, you should be able to open it.

There's a heatsink inside - so I don't think you can just drill a hole in pci slot for the adjustment knob. Why not just stick it at the back of your case if you don't want to see it.

quielb

Post by quielb » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:42 am

2 reasons.

My case is not really tucked away under a desk. So you can see the sides and the abck.

That and just sticking them on the back doens't really have any cool factor.

If I isulate the internals of the fanmate from the pci slot cover I should be ok?

The adjustment knob should be long enough?

dfrost

Post by dfrost » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:45 am

Here's a Fanmate attached to the inside of a blank 5.25 drive bay cover. It's attached with several small pieces of the doublestick foam tape that comes with a Fanmate.