Yate Loon vs Nexus

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

pyogenes

Yate Loon vs Nexus

Post by pyogenes » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:41 pm

I currently have 3 Yate Loon 120mm fans in my system undervolted at around 7V, but my system is still louder than I would like. For those of you with experienece with both fans, do you think it'd be worthwhile to replace my YL fans with Nexus fans? I'm fairly certain that a lower RPM will meet my cooling needs.

I also have a few Antec Tricools that came with my P180B and a scythe fan that came with my Ninja if anyobe thinks those might be a good alternative

ultraboy
*Lifetime Patron*

Re: Yate Loon vs Nexus

Post by ultraboy » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:22 pm

pyogenes wrote:I currently have 3 Yate Loon 120mm fans in my system undervolted at around 7V, but my system is still louder than I would like.
I don't think replacing YateLoon (low speed) with Nexus fan would bring any significant noise reduction, if at all.

Depending on how you control your fan speed, you can slow down YateLoon further, says 5V. At that voltage YL will still spin reliably, though you may need to check whether it will start at that low voltage. Mine do. 8)

jwoolen01

Post by jwoolen01 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:07 am

I agree with ultraboy. I have had several yate loon and nexus fans and the only difference in them was the speed.

Roughly a yate loon @ 5v = a nexus @ 7v.

In order to have effective cooling with my nexus fans, I've had to run them @ 7v. So I'd say that the yate loons are the way to go. They offer better cooling potential at lower voltage.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:06 am

ultraboy wrote:Depending on how you control your fan speed, you can slow down YateLoon further, says 5V. At that voltage YL will still spin reliably, though you may need to check whether it will start at that low voltage. Mine do. 8)
I've done some tests in which I measured the actual minimum starting voltage, and the actual running voltage @ 1028RPM. My YL needed 4.94V to start, so 5V is perilously close for regular operations (with my unit).

However, what is being discussed here is low noise, and noise is directly related to RPM. If you want a quiet fan with a low starting RPM I recommend the Enermax Enlobal. I've tested 4 of these, and they all start at @6V so 7V will be safe, and since the 12V RPM is nominally 1000, the RPM at 7V will be very low and the noise inaudible unless you hold the fan inches from your ear.

outoftune

Post by outoftune » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:31 am

pyogenes wrote:I currently have 3 Yate Loon 120mm fans in my system undervolted at around 7V, but my system is still louder than I would like. For those of you with experienece with both fans, do you think it'd be worthwhile to replace my YL fans with Nexus fans? I'm fairly certain that a lower RPM will meet my cooling needs.

I also have a few Antec Tricools that came with my P180B and a scythe fan that came with my Ninja if anyobe thinks those might be a good alternative
you may also want to try to improve the airflow as much as you can and see if you can get away with less fans.
are your YL's the orange D12-SL's? if you have other YL's that could be why they are loud. i have a YL D12SL that starts reliably at 5v (modded molex) and the nexus i have wouldnt always start at 5V.

pyogenes

Post by pyogenes » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:18 pm

Thanks everyone for the info so far. lots of stuff to ponder.

outoftune wrote: you may also want to try to improve the airflow as much as you can and see if you can get away with less fans.
I doubt I can reduce the number of fans any further for my system. E6600 overclocked to 3.3GHz @1.4V so cooling the northbridge is mandatory. That means minimum of 2 fans.

I partioned off the video card and southbridge to keep the CPU running cooler (made me stable at a lower voltage which resulted in lower temps and much lower fan speeds), but that made the southbridge and video card run hotter so I needed to add the third fan.

are your YL's the orange D12-SL's? if you have other YL's that could be why they are loud. i have a YL D12SL that starts reliably at 5v (modded molex) and the nexus i have wouldnt always start at 5V.
I had no idea the orange ones were quieter and bought the black ones. :o I should point out that the fans aren't loud - just not as quiet as I would like.

outoftune

Post by outoftune » Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:54 pm

what are the rest of the components in your system?
the orange YL D12 SL fans are pretty cheap, if the noise is really bugging you , it might be worth grabbing a few.

how did you do the partitioning? im curious....

pyogenes

Post by pyogenes » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:30 pm

ultraboy wrote: Depending on how you control your fan speed, you can slow down YateLoon further, says 5V. At that voltage YL will still spin reliably, though you may need to check whether it will start at that low voltage. Mine do. 8)
Ah ha! That did the trick. I had been using a fan controller since my previous fans (tricools that came with the case) didn't have an rpm sensor and didnt bother hooking up the newer fans to the motherboard. Just tried using the motherboard connections and speedfan and no longer can hear the 3 fans at all.

pyogenes

Post by pyogenes » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:50 pm

Cardboard for now. I didn't want to invest in more expensive materials until I did some proof of concept work. That and cardboard is good for getting perfect sizes if you have the patience to constantly trim.

The cardboard runs between the video card and the northbridge. The fan for the lower section spills over a bit to the CPU/northbridge section and gives the northbridge all teh airflow it needs. The cardboard is separated enough from teh video card to allow airflow between the cardboard and the card. The uppermost slot cover is open to let the air in this narrow section pass through freely.

outoftune

Post by outoftune » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:59 pm

pyogenes wrote:
Cardboard for now. I didn't want to invest in more expensive materials until I did some proof of concept work. That and cardboard is good for getting perfect sizes if you have the patience to constantly trim.

The cardboard runs between the video card and the northbridge. The fan for the lower section spills over a bit to the CPU/northbridge section and gives the northbridge all teh airflow it needs. The cardboard is separated enough from teh video card to allow airflow between the cardboard and the card. The uppermost slot cover is open to let the air in this narrow section pass through freely.
sounds interesting...do you have a pic?

pyogenes

Post by pyogenes » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:56 pm

outoftune wrote:sounds interesting...do you have a pic?
I'll try to take one tomorrow when I have some sunlight to work with (I can't find my tripod and loath using flashes computer pics)

outoftune

Post by outoftune » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:25 pm

pyogenes wrote:
outoftune wrote:sounds interesting...do you have a pic?
I'll try to take one tomorrow when I have some sunlight to work with (I can't find my tripod and loath using flashes computer pics)
i can understand. i look forward to seeing the pic....