So what is the conclusion ?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

UK-Bob

So what is the conclusion ?

Post by UK-Bob » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:29 am

So this is my question and it seems many others. I have spent days reading through separate threads about various fans but feel that none actually answer the question but do give a good account of all the variables involved.
Has anyone yet posted up a test of each fan that I see time and time again being posted about ?
And was this test of each fan carried out with the same conditions for each fan, preferably the same person with the same test gear etc rather than two very different reports that would have no common benchmark. If this test has been done, then could someone be kind enough to link me to it ?
Oh yes, the question.......simply, what is the quietest fan ! (@12v /)(still quiet if >12v) ?

Cheers, Bob

Tibors
Patron of SPCR

Post by Tibors » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:33 pm

There are three articles on the frontpage at the moment, that explain this is not done yet. But they just started on this mega project.

UK-Bob

Post by UK-Bob » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:38 pm

Cheers Tibors, I did read that yes article yes and then wondered if id missed all the fun ! I must be more patiant LoL :lol:
I cant wait for the results personly as it needs a test like that to give a firm base from which others can draw their conclusions on whats best suites them ;)

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:13 pm

Bob......you have to judge these fans by more than which is the quietest. The most important thing to consider is cfm (cubic feet a minute). There are plenty of quiet fans that don't blow much air. Nexus is an example. There is a CoolerMaster 120mm that peaks at about 800rpms, but only blows about 12cfm. I'm sure it's quiet, but fairly useless.

The ideal way to judge a fan......pick an arbitrary cfm, say 50. Then determine how quiet each fan is at that cfm. Hell I could make the quietest fan by disabling the motor. Really quiet, but no cfm.
:lol:

UK-Bob

Post by UK-Bob » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:50 pm

Ha ha yes Bluefront, with no motor / no rotation, would be very quiet !
But, quote
"Oh yes, the question.......simply, what is the quietest fan ! (@12v /)(still quiet if >12v) ?
"
So sorry the motor has to be connected.
Yes the cfm is a major factor as you point out that a 12 cfm fan may be useless but very quiet !

So for me, I want a fan that has enough cfm to be worth being there but also quiet @ 12V with what ever rpm that may be for that fan. You see there are all those variables again. No straight answer. So should the test be

1- Fan out of box
2- Fit fan and connect to 12v supply
3- measure speed / cfm / dba
4- results

Any variable can be looked at after this has taken place as the linear and non-linear relations between these figures just causes confusion if talked about to soon.

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:16 pm

So for me, I want a fan that has enough cfm to be worth being there but also quiet @ 12V with what ever rpm that may be for that fan. You see there are all those variables again. No straight answer.
No test will ever give you the answer to this question; each installation is unique and the performance and noise signature of the fan will be affected by airflow impedance, restrictions at the inlet/outlet, how close it is to the heatsink, static pressure, etc etc.

How much is "enough" CFM?

How much is quiet "enough"?

These are all subjective requirements. No amount of objective testing will help you with these, they are the result of personal preferences.

You can only know this by experimenting yourself and seeing what other people are doing with a similar setup.

Try these for starters:

Madshrimps 17-fan roundup

Madshrimps 4 of the best roundup

UK-Bob

Post by UK-Bob » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:22 pm

Nice links, thanks very much. :wink:

Though what Im saying is that if these test conditions were met then they would give a base from where to start. Everything reacts different when in different surroundings, but to only say this means that every one is just starting from scratch and would make any test irrelevant ?
Most things are tested under strict conditions so that the variables do not get in the way. This then gives you the hard figures from which you can then determine your own conclusions for your individual conditions.