Do you really need an exhaust fan

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

falcon26

Do you really need an exhaust fan

Post by falcon26 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:29 pm

Do you really need an exhaust fan in your case if your temps are already pretty good? Would not having one make a big difference on temps? I would like less noise and getting rid of the exhaust fan would help.....

spookmineer
Patron of SPCR

Post by spookmineer » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:39 pm

From what I've read, most here strive for as less fans as possible (and the ones left over, undervolted).

Only one way to find out... Try and see if temps don't increase by too much.
When taking out fans, front and side fans are the first to go (read in different threads here, tried myself, works good).
Normally, the rear fan(s) stay in, undervolted if possible.

PopCorn

Post by PopCorn » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:29 pm

yep.... u hear the frot fan more than the back fan. so i i where you id take out the side and front fans 1st

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:45 pm

Generaly the exhaust fan help the cpu to cool and prevent that the psu has to exhaust the heat and thereby ramp up.
But there is nothing that says there has to be an exhaust fan. You will not die atleast :wink:

falcon26

Post by falcon26 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:47 pm

Yeah after much thought I'll keep the exhaust fan. It does too much I guess to get rid of it, and its not that bad noise wise....

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:01 pm

Hello,

What is the fan, and how fast is it running? How restrictive is the grill, and the intake on the case?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:41 am

I can say with 100% certainty......you do not need exhaust fans, any exhaust fans, if you design the setup to work that way. All it takes is a positive pressure case, like this modded Gateway. It has two intake fans, no exhaust fans, not even a PSU fan. And it's super quiet.

There are a few cases that might work like this without modification.....but it probably requires mods to work like this with a moderately hot-running computer.

You're talking positive pressure here......which works just fine if designed properly.

pcy
-- Vendor --

Post by pcy » Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:00 am

Hi,

As Bluefront suggests, it all depends on the case layout and airflow design.

The important thing is that hot air is coming off the CPU cooler; and you have to have some means to make sure that a good proportion of that hot air goes out of the case. Otherwise the inside of the case wil just get hotter and hotter...

Peter