Which Panaflo is Whinier than the Other?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DuckTape

Which Panaflo is Whinier than the Other?

Post by DuckTape » Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:13 pm

Hello folks.

In the "Recommended Fans" section at this website, it states the following about the "Low Speed" version of the 80mm model of the Panaflo fan (FBA08A12L1A):

"It's quiet but a bit whiny at 12V. As voltage is dropped, noise drops smoothly with very little bearing noise. Very consistent reliable performer."

Have you found that this same scenario holds true for all of the Panaflo Fans?

Including the following?: 80mm (L1A, M1A, H1A), 92mm (L1A, M1A, H1A), 120mm (L1A, M1A, H1A)

Also, have you found that certain sizes or speeds of the Panaflo fans are less whinier than others?

(For example: At their default voltages, are the 92mm's generally less whinier than the 80mm's? Are the Medium Speed 80mm fans generally more whinier than the Low Speed 80mm fans? etc.)

Oh, and if anyone, based on their personal experiences, would be so kind as to rank the various Panaflo models, sizes, speeds, and voltage levels from most whiniest down to least whiniest, I'd be very interested in seeing such a chart.

As always, any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Best wishes,
DuckTape

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Re: Which Panaflo is Whinier than the Other?

Post by ez2remember » Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:37 pm

DuckTape wrote:Hello folks.
"It's quiet but a bit whiny at 12V. As voltage is dropped, noise drops smoothly with very little bearing noise. Very consistent reliable performer."
Yep the 80mm L1A is whiney at 12v but less whiney than most fans I have come across at the same voltage. At low voltages the panaflo becomes inaudible in free air at 2 feet away. It has a very smooth broadband sound, very quiet indeed.

However my experience of 80mm H1A differs, its pretty whiney at 12v and when I drop the voltage I get other side effects. Kind of screetches a little, the sound is not as smooth. Too noisy for me, I don't recommend this fan.

Not much of a database, but I hope it encourages others to give a view of their Panaflo fans. D

DuckTape

Post by DuckTape » Wed Mar 19, 2003 1:29 pm

Hello folks.

Thanks for your reply, ez2remember!

Here are a couple related questions regarding the Panaflo fans...

Anyone experience the 92mm and/or the 120mm fans...

- to have a generally lower pitched whine (at least at the default voltage of 12 volts) than the 80mm fans?

- to be more "whooshier", as well as less "whinier", (including at the default voltage of 12 volts) than the 80mm fans?

Thanks again!
DuckTape

Ralf Hutter
SPCR Reviewer

Post by Ralf Hutter » Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:43 am

DuckTape wrote:Here are a couple related questions regarding the Panaflo fans...

Anyone experience the 92mm and/or the 120mm fans...

- to have a generally lower pitched whine (at least at the default voltage of 12 volts) than the 80mm fans?

- to be more "whooshier", as well as less "whinier", (including at the default voltage of 12 volts) than the 80mm fans?

Thanks again!
DuckTape
A definite "yes" to each question for both the 92mm and the 120mm L1As.

jcdenton

Post by jcdenton » Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:07 pm

My understanding of the different Panaflos models is that for a given size, they're all mechanically identical. The only difference between a high speed and low speed is the spin rate of the rotors. I definitely can't tell the difference between my 80mm medium speed and 80mm high speed from looking at them, that's for sure.

With that assumption in mind, obviously if you run a Panaflo at a certain RPM it doesn't matter if it was an L1A, U1A, etc. So an undervolted U1A running at L1A speed should have identical characteristics to a real L1A.

Of course the larger sizes are definitely lower in pitch. I have a 120mm U1A hooked up to a 7-12v rheobus and at 7v it's basically a medium pitched "whooshing" sound, just the sound of the air and no sound from the motor as far as I can tell. It's only once I get to around 10-12v that I can hear the "whining" from the motor itself.

jcdenton

Post by jcdenton » Thu Mar 20, 2003 2:24 pm

One more thing, I guess I should have said "identical size and thickness" since I believe "thin" versions also exist. Presumably the thin versions would have different characteristics at a given RPM compared to the regular versions.

DuckTape

Post by DuckTape » Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:04 pm

Thanks for your replies folks.

jcdenton wrote: << One more thing, I guess I should have said "identical size and thickness" since I believe "thin" versions also exist. Presumably the thin versions would have different characteristics at a given RPM compared to the regular versions. >>

Hmm, anyone have any experiences (to share) with comparing the sound of the thin versions of the Panaflo fans to that of the thick versions?

Thanks again!
DuckTape

DuckTape

Post by DuckTape » Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:19 pm

Hello again.

Here is a web page which leads to web pages for fans by Panasonic:

http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/app ... s_home.htm

Best wishes,
DuckTape