Mod Arctic Cooling 120mm to support HW monitoring?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

haywire

Mod Arctic Cooling 120mm to support HW monitoring?

Post by haywire » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:38 am

I purchased an Arctic Cooling AF12025 (120mm) case fan because it appeared to be a cheaper FDB alternative to the Scythe S-Flex. However, when connected to my ASUS P5B mobo, I discovered it does not support Hardware Monitoring because I can't monitor or control the fan speed via QFan or SpeedFan, in spite of the fact it has a 3 pin molex plug that connects directly to the mobo.

I looked at the wiring and sure enough, there are only *2* wires leading from the fan to molex.

I hate to give up on this thing and go buy a new fan that supports hw monitoring, so my question is this:

Can this fan be modified without too much trouble, to support HW monitoring? Has anybody done this successfully? Any suggestions or howto's?

Keep in mind, I'm not an electrician, but I don't mind doing a little modding if I have good instructions.

Thanks,

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:28 pm

Hello & welcome to SPCR!

I don't think that the RPM monitoring wire can be added to a fan. Another issue is that some motherboards (Asus included) do not work with fans under a certain RPM (say 1000RPM) -- they have just assumed that no fan will ever run that slowly.

If it is quiet enough, then I would just let it be, as is.