Quiet Pentium fan

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

trader

Quiet Pentium fan

Post by trader » Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:21 am

I am planning to run a P4 2.4 GHz. I don't think I will overclock it much or at all since a stable system is very important to me.

What are the best quiet fans available that gives value for money?

Thanks for your help!

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:32 am

Vantec Stealth, Panaflos, NMB are highly regarded as very quiet fans. I like the Panaflo 80mm L1A it is very quiet indeed, quieter than the other models of Panaflo. :D

trader

Post by trader » Mon Mar 31, 2003 2:53 pm

ez2remember,
unfortunately it seems like the models you mentioned are hard to find in sweden. Can you recommend any other more famous models?

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Mon Mar 31, 2003 4:49 pm

How about Papst? Do they sell it over there. :roll:

Also any fan undervolted will be considerably quieter, it really depends what level of quietness you are looking for. A lot of fans @5v will be regarded as very quiet or even inaudible by some. :D

RaffeS

Post by RaffeS » Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:28 pm

Boomerang Rapido

Post by Boomerang Rapido » Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:04 am

Trader... I live in Denmark and I couldn't find the Panaflo fans locally either. So I went for a pabst fan for my CPU heasink. I bought the 19db version, which puts out about 26 CFM, and I'm very happy with it. Keeps my 2.4 nice and cool together with an Alpha 8942 heatsink. I run it at 12 volts, but I think I could easily get away with undervolting it, if I wanted to.

Well to make it short, I'm very happy with the pabst fan and I wouldn't hestitate to recommend it!

trader

Post by trader » Tue Apr 01, 2003 2:55 am

Howabout this one,

Noise Control P4 PAPST 2050 (80 watt)http://www.whynoi.se/shop/product.asp?intProdID=139

The fan is a 80mm, modell 8412N from PAPST. Airflow: 45m3/h
Noice: 13-19dB(A)
There is a regulator (NMT2) that makes the fan go between 5 and 12 volts depending on temperature.

The "thing" where the fan is put on is from Verax.

What you say?

SpyderCat

Post by SpyderCat » Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:13 am

Trader,

Panaflo fans ARE available, see for your self.
http://forums.silentpcreview.com//viewtopic.php?t=3817
And they are cheaper than Papst fans.

At the moment I have a Papst 19 dBA fan, and will replace it with a Panaflo.
Don't repeat the same mistakes others have made.

Han.

trader

Post by trader » Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:28 am

I know they are available, but not in Sweden.

If anyone knows a place in Sweden who sells Panaflo fans let me know.

The Noisecontrol solution with the papst fan I showed you wasn't that expensive. I don't mind paying an extra premium.

trader

Post by trader » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:11 am

Ok, Now I found a place where they sell Panaflo!

http://www.overclockers.se/catalog/defa ... me=Fläktar

However, it says that the Panaflo is 21dB, while the PAPST is at 12dB!

The Papst is significally more quiet than the Panaflo.

Boomerang Rapido

Post by Boomerang Rapido » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:56 am

Looking at the specs yes, but you can't always trust the specs. For example.. with my case I got 4 case fans that were rated at 21db. But when I run them at 12 volts they make so much noise I can't stand to be around them. I guess these specs should sometimes be taken with a grain of salt.

Some would probably say that the 12 db pabst fan promises a little more than it can keep. Never tried it myself so I can't say for sure.

People around here seem to favor the panaflo fans. Check the recommended fans page for an overview.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Tue Apr 01, 2003 5:41 am

trader wrote:Ok, Now I found a place where they sell Panaflo!

http://www.overclockers.se/catalog/defa ... me=Fläktar

However, it says that the Panaflo is 21dB, while the PAPST is at 12dB!

The Papst is significally more quiet than the Panaflo.
No, the Panaflo 21dBA is probably more of a true representitive of the noise it makes, no way is the Papst 12dBA. Anyway the Papst is quieter at 12v but their are suggestion of anormalities, some says it has a clicking sound when undervolted or even not undervolted. This can be more annoying than the fan noise itself. A panaflo @12v, it's default voltage is too whiney, but lower the voltage and it becomes inaudible in free air.

I run most of my Panaflos at 5v and it is exceptionally quiet. I don't think you will be disappointed with the Panaflo, if I were you, buy one of each first and try for yourself to see which sound you prefer. You can always have a combination of panaflos and papst so none goes to waste. :D
Last edited by ez2remember on Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trader

Post by trader » Tue Apr 01, 2003 6:59 am

Thanks for input!

But you shouldn't run 2 fans on 1 processor, right?

Doesn't the fans come temperature regulated? I'd seen a fan called NoiseControl that was temperature regulated so it automatically went down in voltage when the temp was low. This is much more convenient compared to manually control to fan.

I'd like to have an all-in-all solution were I buy a fan with heatzink and temp regulator.

It's hard to find good solutions though.

Maybe I just stick with the fan that is included with the P4 to begin with and than upgrade.

RaffeS

Post by RaffeS » Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:05 am

Boomerang Rapido, I got a Papst-fan 80x80cm rated 12 db. and it's very quiet. :D

"For example.. with my case I got 4 case fans that were rated at 21db. "

the more fans, the more noise.
all the fans together doesn't sound like 21db, they make a lot of more noise together.

NeilBlanchard

The Pabst is pretty quiet

Post by NeilBlanchard » Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:34 am

Hello:

The Pabst is pretty quiet, but it doesn't move much air. And very often if you try to undervolt a Pabst (the louder ones), they click. I think the NMB 18dBA (http://www.svc.com/80nmb253pinf.html) or the PC Power & Cooling Silencer fan (http://www.pcpowerandcooling.com/produc ... /index.htm) are a better balance of noise to airflow.

Raygun

Post by Raygun » Tue Apr 01, 2003 11:58 am

Haven't experienced any noticeable clicking from the 120mm Pabst 4412FGL undervolted, or is it outgunned by the TruePower PSU fan?

Which is the preferred low noise/non whining 80mm ~25cfm fan? The Pabst 19dB, Panaflo others? Since I would like that much airflow from this particular fan (CPU) undervolting is not really an option(?)

Raygun

Post by Raygun » Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:31 pm

Hmm, update. Now I HAVE noticed the clicking. :x

Should stop reading this forum never would have noticed it otherwise... :wink:

Anyway it is not really bothering me because there are still other noises present from my computer that drowns the clicking.

ez2remember
Friend of SPCR

Post by ez2remember » Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:31 pm

Raygun wrote:Hmm, update. Now I HAVE noticed the clicking. :x

Should stop reading this forum never would have noticed it otherwise... :wink:

Anyway it is not really bothering me because there are still other noises present from my computer that drowns the clicking.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yep! "Sounds that don't exist will exist after a few doses of SPCR". :wink:

Boomerang Rapido

Post by Boomerang Rapido » Fri Apr 04, 2003 4:41 am

RaffeS wrote:Boomerang Rapido, I got a Papst-fan 80x80cm rated 12 db. and it's very quiet. :D
I never claimed it wasn't ;) I have the 19db pabst fan myself and I'm VERY happy with it. Easily quiet enough for my taste, and I never heard any clicking noises.
RaffeS wrote: "For example.. with my case I got 4 case fans that were rated at 21db. "

the more fans, the more noise.
all the fans together doesn't sound like 21db, they make a lot of more noise together.
Heh... I actually started out with all 4. Then one by one I disconnected them cause they were too noisy. ANd when there was only one left it was still horrible. That one single TT fan which was supposed to be 21db is noisier than the rest of my fans together.

I ended up running two of them at 5 volts... problem solved :)