Low Humming on Scyche D-Flex

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

DanW

Low Humming on Scyche D-Flex

Post by DanW » Tue May 01, 2007 3:04 am

Does anyone else get a really anoying hum on their scythe d-flex (or which ever flex that comes with the ninja)?

The hum seesm to be a lot more apparent at 6v (or whatever my fan controller recudes the voltage to), however I think the noise of the fan at higher speed hides it.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue May 01, 2007 5:05 am

How do you have the fan mounted? Could it be vibration from hard mounting?

Or is it fan buzz/growl? If it's from the fan itself, not much to be done there except RMA.

DanW

Post by DanW » Tue May 01, 2007 7:23 am

jhhoffma wrote:How do you have the fan mounted? Could it be vibration from hard mounting?

Or is it fan buzz/growl? If it's from the fan itself, not much to be done there except RMA.
It's mounted at the top of my P180 instead of the in comparison, noisy Tri-Cool (which like everyone else, eventually found way too noisy).
I don't think it's likely to be he mounting, as the tri-cool didn't make this anoying noise. If I stop it with my hand or slow it down even more with my finger it goes away. It's like it doesn't enjoy being used vertically.

Gah, I think I'll just buy another Alkasa fan (which seems to be quieter than it anyway) rather than RMA'ing the 4th thing in a month!

Cheers,
Dan

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue May 01, 2007 8:51 am

DanW wrote:It's like it doesn't enjoy being used vertically.
You mean horizontally? Then yes, some sleeve bearing fans do not like being mounted horizontally, particularly in high heat environments. Even if they do last, some produce more noise (humming) when mounted this way.

The tricools are ball-bearing fans, and while usually louder overall, do not suffer from these nuances.

I'm pretty sure the fan that comes with the Ninja is, in fact, sleeve bearing unlike the fluid bearings in the S-Flex.

DanW

Post by DanW » Tue May 01, 2007 11:42 pm

jhhoffma wrote:
DanW wrote:It's like it doesn't enjoy being used vertically.
You mean horizontally? Then yes, some sleeve bearing fans do not like being mounted horizontally, particularly in high heat environments. Even if they do last, some produce more noise (humming) when mounted this way.
Well the fan casing is Horizonal, but it's blowing vertically :lol:
The tricools are ball-bearing fans, and while usually louder overall, do not suffer from these nuances.

I'm pretty sure the fan that comes with the Ninja is, in fact, sleeve bearing unlike the fluid bearings in the S-Flex.
Hopefully the new fans I've ordered wil be fairly quiet, even though they're dual-ball-bearing...

Cheers for the info!

bumthology
Friend of SPCR

Post by bumthology » Thu May 24, 2007 7:23 am

i'm having this same problem,
instead i put the scythe ninja fan on the back