250mm fans - where to get? (europe)

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Neiro

250mm fans - where to get? (europe)

Post by Neiro » Tue May 08, 2007 1:26 pm

Hello. I'm in the process of building a slightly special pc. I don't want to go into details here, but in short. I'm looking for a 250mm (or 220mm as they turn out to be) 12VDC fan that can suck air out of the top of a chassis without generating much noise.
In denmark there's seemingly only a single vendor who supplies fans in that size, and they only offer a single one - the bzerk that the swede already mentioned in the '5 new vendors 250mm blah blah' thread. That one's rated at up to 35dba which I find disturbingly high. Do anyone have experience with that fan ? can it be persuaded to run more silent without losing it's effect (it's going to passively cool an athlon xp beneath a ninja). Or are there alternatives? Basicly I'm looking for any place in EU (has to do with taxes and shipping cost) that sells better fans than the local option?

Is it true that there are only 2-3 fans to chose from (seeing as bzerk appears to be the same as another of teh 5 fans)

Sorry about my single first post being a request for help, but apart from this place I hardly can think of a place to ask for help on this subject.

Felger Carbon

Re: 250mm fans - where to get? (europe)

Post by Felger Carbon » Tue May 08, 2007 3:38 pm

Neiro wrote:That one's rated at up to 35dba which I find disturbingly high.
All of these big fans are easily undervoltable. The most common is the 13-blade fan with ball bearings. This fan starts reliably at 3-3.1V, so it can be safely run at 3.6V, which is what you get from 5V and two power diodes at .7V each. You probably will be happy with plain old 5V; I'd suggest you try that first (although if sleeve bearings, the fan may not start at that low voltage).

Everybody, encountering these big fans for the first time, is amazed how quiet they are once the fan is undervolted to provide the usual cooling CFM. Good luck! :D

Neiro

Post by Neiro » Tue May 08, 2007 11:07 pm

http://www.studiedata.dk/product_info.p ... 13b0a5f58f

Above's a link to the one we have available in denmark. Glideleje it sais, which is sleeve - how little voltage would be sufficient? 7V? 5V?

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Wed May 09, 2007 1:02 am

Neiro wrote:http://www.studiedata.dk/product_info.p ... 13b0a5f58f

Above's a link to the one we have available in denmark. Glideleje it sais, which is sleeve - how little voltage would be sufficient? 7V? 5V?
Sorry, the site is in Danish and wants me to log in before showing any product. Sleeve fans do need a higher starting voltage than ball-bearing fans, which is IMHO the only advantage of ball bearings. :cry:

Neiro

Post by Neiro » Wed May 09, 2007 1:33 am

Oh. Well it doesn't ask for password at my place, but I guess I've already got an active session.

Anyhow, Here's what it looks like:

Here's a translated specs list:

Properties
Color : Transparent
Weight: 400 gram
Width : 220 mm
Height : 220 mm
Depth : 30 mm
Packaging : Bulk

Other
Connector : 4-pins
Temp controlled : No
Includes fan control : Yes
UV-reactive : No
Includes screws : Yes
Cord length : 50 cm

Motor
Power usage : 0.3 A
Effect usage : 3.6 W
Norminel voltage : 12 V
work voltage : 10.2 - 13.8 V
Airflow : 102 - 163 m³/hour
Revolutions : 650 - 850 rpms
Noise level : 19 - 35 dB(A)
Rev counter : No
Bearing type : Sleeve

What do you experts do with this info ? is that good enough?

My concrete plans is having this as an exchaust vent at the top of a cylindrical case that draws air (and dust) up from the floor and out the top. Hopefully everything else is passively cooled except the psu

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Wed May 09, 2007 5:35 am

Neiro wrote: Revolutions : 650 - 850 rpms
Bearing type : Sleeve - is that good enough?
Current production of the TT Kandalf side panel big fan is the 600RPM version of that, drawing .15A, not .3A, and it starts at 4.4V. The higher RPM fan should start even lower, so you're good at 5V. The fan will be very quiet at 5V. Good luck with your project! :D

Neiro

Post by Neiro » Wed May 09, 2007 5:49 am

Felger Carbon wrote:
Neiro wrote: Revolutions : 650 - 850 rpms
Bearing type : Sleeve - is that good enough?
Current production of the TT Kandalf side panel big fan is the 600RPM version of that, drawing .15A, not .3A, and it starts at 4.4V. The higher RPM fan should start even lower, so you're good at 5V. The fan will be very quiet at 5V. Good luck with your project! :D
Thanks for the input man. Appreaciate it.
I've asked the retailer check if he can get hold of a ball bearing model, but if he hasn't found one in a weeks time, I'll just order the transparent one.

AuraAllan
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by AuraAllan » Wed May 09, 2007 12:20 pm

You could also buy the Xclio2 and scavenge the fan.

Available in DK here. :)

Sylph-DS

Post by Sylph-DS » Thu May 10, 2007 3:17 am

So they're only available in Denmark? :(

I blame the vikings :D

McBanjo

Post by McBanjo » Thu May 10, 2007 6:21 am

My bZerk fan was a little broken I think, it was unbalanced (that happens) but I could shut of the fan with the provided fancontroller. I don't have a clue on what V that was but not below 8V. Not sure if those LEDs did anything to that

The 35dBA is all airrush, even at the high V i was forced to run it on it was rather ok. Definatly below 25dBA, around 22-23 maby but I'm guessing

So 1 big fan at 3-4V is definatly quiet.

I still blame Felger for being an inspiration. Shame on you...I can't afford it :P