Big Fan Arrival! **Now with some pics**

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

psiu

Big Fan Arrival! **Now with some pics**

Post by psiu » Fri Jun 01, 2007 6:34 pm

Just got my big fan from Performance PCs. LOL this thing is like a table fan!

Going to take some pics of my pile of junk that is slowly coming together for it and will post tomorrow (and yes, they will be reduced in size for the dial-up victims among you).

Preview:

Red oak cube, roughly 10x10x10, with notebook slot load DVD mounted vertically near right front edge, power button with blue ring and amber HD LED on front. Probably Barracuda IV for system drive and will pipe video and music via wireless...maybe a second drive for PVR purposes also. Probably some form of Linux (MythTV or maybe XBMC).

Naked power supply on one side of internal divider, microatx socket-A mobo on the other side, mounted to old mounting plate. Going to use 1 ft adapters for everything and bundle and run out the rear (my very own DONGLE ;) ). Power, USB, VGA, PS2, audio, video out, and coax in for TV tuner.

Crappy WinTV-Go for tuner card, Radeon 9700 Pro with ZM-80D cooler, Athlon XP 1800 with Aerocool HT-101jr--this may be naked with the plastic fan mount removed or with a adapter attached to it to help my funnel attachment (for more airflow through actual heatsink).

And one big honking fan on the open bottom. Vents on the upper sides and rear.

This is basically my SPCR thesis project I guess :P
Last edited by psiu on Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

samuelmorris

Post by samuelmorris » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:51 am

I was seriously considering purchasing one of those as a desk fan. I've seen one in person and they're vast, even dwarfing the 200mm fan in my Antec case. The 105CFM seemed a little disappointing considering the size and rpm, but my instincts tell me that a 250mm 820rpm fan versus 200mm 800rpm is going to push more air, figures aside.
I recently spotted the Xclio 3060 and it's 36cm fan. Now if you could only find one of those in a decent looking case!

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:36 am

I'm interested in how this turns out, having considered such a design for a while. I'd probably put a laptop drive in the thing, for the sake of less heat, less noise, less current, and for less impact on airflow.

Red Oak.....beautiful wood. I've used in in many projects, not just computers. The stain is critical for the looks. For sure try out some sufficiently large scrap pieces before you do the final pieces. The stained wood looks different inside under artificial lighting than it does outside or in a workshop. As stain dries it looks different....the number of coats matters. Practice is the key here.....you can't undo a stain. :lol:

psiu

pics of preliminary junkheap!

Post by psiu » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:14 am

okay, pics as promised, resized and compressed ;)

the uatx backplate I'm using, will probably be trimming some off the lower edge for fit

shows the airflow exhaust--the rear is open at the top while the sides have the angled back exhausts

fan in bottom--figure it will end up mostly under the mobo and other stuff, with just a portion in the isolated psu chamber

the nifty looking button for it, with some mobo components for scale

the front, showing general idea of button, led, and optical placement, buttons may end up more on the right though because of the central fdivider

inside of the front, showing where the wood has been cut back for the optical, I will put a slot in depending on the exact placement

the test mobo--non-operational. note the flashy and up-to-date AMD 760 chipset. no cpu actually in socket either

test psu, will use for fitting purposes

the real psu, still half-dressed ;)

I forgot to take pics of the central divider, its the same "not full height" as the rear panel--which you can see propped up on some scrap in some pics. Will probably end up with a figure 8 rear cable exit using a couple paddle bits. The fan (and hopefully filter) will end up on a bracket which will slide in the lower grooves (just visible in pics, they are 1" high).

Obviously I just started sanding down rough edges--Bluefront, any suggestions on a good stain?

psiu

Post by psiu » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:18 am

Forgot to mention that obviously there will be a cover over the top of it, same red oak as the rest. Central divider is piece of red oak, will be going diagonal from left front side to rear panel, probably about 1/3 back from front and 1/3 back from right side. Considering a nice aluminium foil shield over the interior for EMI considerations.

edit: and was definitely thinking laptop drive...until I bought the Cuda IV and V from hmsrolst here. I'll figure something out for the drives...thinking of a suspension of sorts perhaps (couple screws sticking out inside, with some elastic running between), or maybe just a firm mounting against some foam.

I also picked up an 80-->92mm fan adapter, depending on the orientation of heatsink on final system, I may attach that and devise a funnel to get the spot cpu cooling effect (well, definitely devising a funnel--just it would be easier if it worked out that way).

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:21 pm

Tough call on the stain. It depends on if you want to match the other woods in the room....if any. Maybe a contrast would be better. It's easier. And it depends if you want the grain to show, and how much. If the grain looks good, you might want a lighter stain. A dark stain like this Olympic Ebony #41553 is oil-based, reasonably fast drying, and covers well. One coat is all that's needed if you want to see grain. You need to stain a big piece of the wood, and just sit it in your room. Look at it for a few days.....might give you a clue. Here's the ebony stain (two layers) on some oak plywood. Inside the house it looks darker.

Here's the same ebony using one layer.....on oak again.

Let me say one thing about this design....it will require some sort of acoustic dampening on the inner walls that are exposed. If this is not done, the finished project might well become a sound amplifier, sort-of like a bass port. The more stuff in the chamber, the less this effect will be evident. But the airflow suffers if the case is crammed too much. I have used 4mm acoustic foam with some success. I like the Spire brand from Jab-tech....but there are other brands.

psiu

Post by psiu » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:06 pm

I still have some of my Acoustipack laying around, plus some nice eggcrate foam that a HD came in. Probably try the Acoustipack first, and will be doing my best to dampen HD and Optical drive, possibly the fan as well. Also have some Nexus drive bay foam, the really interesting thing about it is how well it responds to being carved--can probably help the airflow with it.

I just temprarily rejected the idea of a 5GB 1.8" system drive (available at Geeks.com for $15)....mmmm...aaarrr. The mobo I'm eyeballing on eBay as adustable HD idle/power settings too...could have 1.8 running while PVR drive is generally idle.

Probably go for either a *healthy* red or nice hot blonde...for the stain ;)

Project "Take All Summer Long" is progressing, sleeving PSU cables and sanding some more.

ronrem

Post by ronrem » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:22 pm

I like Red Oak stain with my old trusty Man-O-War spar gloss,tough,no fuss,but looks plush. Works great for our kitchen table.

psiu

Post by psiu » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:59 am

Updates:

Slotload dvd/cdrw is in, tested working in laptop.
Waiting on adapter for it from China.
Slight change in plans for whats running it now--Going socket-754 with a Sempron 2600 (Palermo), including a mobo with Sata and Firewire...yummy.
Slowly sanding a little bit and sleeving here and there while plowing through brother-in-laws House DVDs for a couple weeks with my wife.

Think I'm definitely going the Ubuntu/MythTV route with this one. Should be interesting.

jessekopelman

Post by jessekopelman » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:19 pm

psiu wrote:I just temprarily rejected the idea of a 5GB 1.8" system drive (available at Geeks.com for $15)
What is the interface on this drive (IDE or something else)? I see lots of people selling it, but no decent item description . . . Toshiba MK5004MAL . . .

psiu

Post by psiu » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:32 am

jessekopelman wrote:
psiu wrote:I just temprarily rejected the idea of a 5GB 1.8" system drive (available at Geeks.com for $15)
What is the interface on this drive (IDE or something else)? I see lots of people selling it, but no decent item description . . . Toshiba MK5004MAL . . .
It's the kind of interface you go buy an adapter for :D I saw the adapters on eBay while I was looking for the notebook DVD adapter.

here:
http://stores.ebay.com/PointingMouse-Mo ... -Convertor

there are apparently 2 different connectors to look out for, the drive at Geeks has the ZIF one.