problem with 1U cooler

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Palindroman

problem with 1U cooler

Post by Palindroman » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:47 am

I hope you guys can help me out with this one. I'm building a 1U rackmountable server for someone. Het wants it to be low power so I'm building it with the stuff I know will make it low power. Of course I had to buy a special 1U cooler and fan. I bought this cooler and this fan.

Now my problem was that it was really difficult to get the screws in the little plate under the motherboard. I actually had to exert quite a bit of force to get all four of them in. Immediately afterwards I experienced trouble with the board, ie Windows wouldn't start due to an error in window\system32\config\system. I reinstalled windows but then couldn't get the driver for the SM Bus Controller and PCI Bridge device to work. Only when I replaced the motherboard and CPU I got everything to work again. Put the cooler back on as carefully as I could, but now windows won't fully load again (it's stuck at the part where you have those blue dots go from left to right).

Here's a picture:

Now this cooler is for AM2 Opteron or Athlon 64. I use a Sempron but that shouldn't make a difference, right? Is it normal that one has to push real hard to get those screws in? As you see, there is a bit of a distance to cover there and those springs don't budge much.

Did I do anything wrong (aside from obviously pushing too hard)?
Did I screw up my mobo's and procs or can I salvage them by clearing CMOS and installing Windows again?

Palindroman

Post by Palindroman » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:15 pm

Update: I shortened the springs and now everything fits. I cleared CMOS, reinstalled windows, had a few hiccups (the screen even froze twice during restarts) but all devices seem to be recognized and nothing showed up on the tests I ran. Hopefully it remains like this, so there's hope for my other motherboard.

Too bad I come up with solutions after 48 hours (ie shortening the springs). It might have saved me a lot of trouble. But I still find it weird that it's so hard to install this cooler. I must've done something wrong.