Looking for a fan. Maybe you can help me

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Ozkar

Looking for a fan. Maybe you can help me

Post by Ozkar » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:29 pm

I need a 120mm fan. However, it has to push a lot of air because my computer is running extremely hot, because of the weather. I'm not too worried about the noise right now, as long as it's not too loud.

I had the Aluminum Enermax 120mm fan. It was pretty good, but maybe there are other options out there.

Thanks for your help.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:21 am

Hello Ozkar,

Most of the decent 120mm fans need to be undervolted to be quiet, so if you run them at 12v, they will move a lot more air -- and they won't be quiet.

Yate Loon medium speed.
Enermax Enlobal.
GlobalWin NCB.

What is your case, and what heatsinks are you using? Cooler temps can be had with less restricted air flow, and/or with better heatsinks. In fact, adding a faster fan w/o helping the case may not help very much at all.

sitalchauhan

Post by sitalchauhan » Fri Jul 06, 2007 3:29 am

I would say the Yate Loon D12SM-12 fans would be good for your situation.

Ozkar

Post by Ozkar » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:08 am

This is what I currently have:

Antec 3700BQE, with the back grill cut off
Pentium 4 3.2 GHZ Northwood
Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu Cooler with fanmate.
Seasonic S12-430 PSU
Case fan: Nexus fan

It's very quiet and the temperatures are ok most of the time. However, I don't have AC in my room and the ambient temperature gets around 85 degrees in the summer. In addition, i'm running SETI@home 24/7. The CPU temperature gets up to 75-78 degrees celsius.

I'm looking for a temporary solution. I don't mind a little noise during the summer. I already have two room fans running in my room, so the noise is not really a problem.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:12 am

Hello Ozkar,

Can you undervolt the P4, possibly? If so, this would help a lot. Or, you could get a more efficient HSF -- the 7000 is very good, but there are at least 3 or 4 that would be much better. The Scythe Ninja comes immediately to mind as nearly the best overall, and definitely the best with low air flow.

Could you fit the Ninja in your machine?

Ozkar

Post by Ozkar » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:14 pm

I really don't want to change the heatsink since this computer is about 3 years old and I don't want to spend any more money silencing it. I'm pretty happy with the sound level I've achieved by following all your recommendations. I've already spent a lot buying all the parts recommended on this wonderful website. Thanks for your recommendation.

I think I will get the Yate Loon D12SM-12. It's pretty cheap. When summer is over, I'll remove it and put the Nexus fan, which is an excellent silent fan. By next summer I'll have a new computer anyways.

Thanks to all.