Rod M
-- Vendor --

(((Noiseblocker)))-UltraSilentFan,

Post by Rod M » Sun Apr 20, 2003 8:45 pm

Hi Guys,

I am looking at noiseblocker fans,
http://www.blacknoise.de/

but not only for my own use,
I have a small online shop retailing in low noise cooling gear www.lownoisepc.com , based in Sydney Australia,

what I need to know is are these fans any good compared to the Papst and Panaflo's that I already retail, would it be worth it for me to import these.

any feedback from users who have used both the Noiseblocker and Papst/Panaflo and can make a comparision would be greatly appreciated,

I remember reading on these forums a few months ago (cannot find thread) that the Noiseblocker fans are just a rebadged fan from another manufacturer, is this true?,

does anyone know where these fans are actually manufactured? and who manufactures them,

thanks for any responses,

Rod M
-- Vendor --

Post by Rod M » Mon Apr 21, 2003 2:24 am

thanks for the reply,

I doubt that they are manufactured by papst (I have a few contacts at papst)

anyone else have any info?

Rod M
-- Vendor --

Post by Rod M » Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:58 am

that is exactly what I am trying to find out,

1, if they are just rebadged $2 fans from China
2, and if they are any good compared to the similar priced Panaflo and Papst fans

as far as I know only Papst and verax are made in Germany (many of the Papst fans are assembled in Hungary)
Last edited by Rod M on Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kostik
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Kostik » Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:59 am

Many PC silencing addicts use these fans in france. They seem to be good fans, thought I never tested them myself.

Poorly translated reviews follow :

Noiseblocker S2 :
http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... uage_tools

Noiseblocker S3 :

Noiseblocker S4 :

Noiseblocker T1 :

NeilBlanchard

Excellent links!

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:05 am

Hello:

These are certainly the best links I have seen on the NoiseBlocker fans. If I can extract the most basic info:

S2 @ 12V = 2000RPM, 29CFM, 19dBA :o
S3 @ 12V = 2600RPM, 38CFM, 26dBA
S4 @ 12V = 3200RPM, 44CFM, 32dBA
T1 is essentially an S3 with a thermistor that speeds it from a low of 1400RPM (below 30C) and linearly increases it up to 2600RPM @ 50C

And the blue/clear version on the S2 (at least) has a potentiometer, and the T1 is the only one not available in the blue/clear -- only black.

Nice stuff. The S2 *may* best the Panaflo L1A by being both quieter and move a bit more air! No mean feat if it's true! And the S3 may fit into the M1A range?

So, here's a fan that those in Europe can get and us North Americans will have to search high and low to find!

Rod M
-- Vendor --

Re: Excellent links!

Post by Rod M » Mon Apr 21, 2003 6:33 am

NeilBlanchard wrote: S2 @ 12V = 2000RPM, 29CFM, 19dBA :o
S3 @ 12V = 2600RPM, 38CFM, 26dBA
S4 @ 12V = 3200RPM, 44CFM, 32dBA
yes the specs look very good (a bit too good for my liking)

that is why I am asking about them,

they dont claim to be the actual manufacturer, so where do these fans come from?

SpyderCat

Post by SpyderCat » Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:02 am

Rod M wrote:yes the specs look very good (a bit too good for my liking) that is why I am asking about them,

they dont claim to be the actual manufacturer, so where do these fans come from?
Hi Rod M,
10 days ago I ordered a few S2, S3 (NoiseBlocker), some Papst fans, and I have a few Panaflo's A12L's.
Once they have arrived I can give you some answers, and at least compare them.
Funny, the fans are cheaper here at http://www.perfect-systems.nl than at Noiseblocker.de :roll:
The dutch site won't ship international.

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:04 am

SpyderCat wrote:10 days ago I ordered ... Once they have arrived
wow SpyderCat - I thought NL was first world? You could get right across your country on a bicycle in 10 days: How do those guys deliver - the genuine snailmail :D

Just looking at the 120mm Noiseblocker it could be a Delta (and 34dB(A), 126m3/h is not convincing for a silent 120mm fan).

SpyderCat

Post by SpyderCat » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:59 am

dukla2000 wrote:
SpyderCat wrote:10 days ago I ordered ... Once they have arrived
wow SpyderCat - I thought NL was first world? You could get right across your country on a bicycle in 10 days: How do those guys deliver - the genuine snailmail :D
Rub it in, Dukla, keep rubbing it in ! :(
You can cross the country from east to west in a wheelchair in 3 days! :lol:
Yeah, it's sad.
The shop is only 60 km away, and they can't deliver what they offer for sale.
I must say (in their defence) that several goods were marked 'out of stock' after I ordered; so perhaps I depleated their stock. :shock:
I'm really anxious to find out how the AX-7 heatsink performs in sucking mode.

Regards, Han.

Rod M
-- Vendor --

Post by Rod M » Mon Apr 21, 2003 11:19 pm

thanks SpyderCat, that would be great to know,

Boolean

S2 Noiseblocker Fan

Post by Boolean » Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:45 am

I've got 2 S2 Noiseblocker fans.

Noiseblocker is a reputable company here in the german speaking world, so I figure you can trust them.

The S2 is very quiet in normal mode, and very very quiet (what some would call inaudible some feet away) when the potentiometer is turned down.

I paid 12 euros each (about 11 USD).

I never heard the Panaflo, but I doubt this could be more silent. Any more silence than this, and there would be no airflow ;)

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:50 am

Has anybody found a source in EU that ships everywhere within EU?

The German sites listed only ship to Germany, Dutch only to Holland, etc.

I need a supplier who can send to Finland.

regards,
Halcyon

Boolean

Getting S2 Fan

Post by Boolean » Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:21 am

You could try a vendor on ebay.de. A quick search revealed there is currently one who ships worldwide. 14 Euros/piece..

SpyderCat

Post by SpyderCat » Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:34 am

halcyon wrote:Has anybody found a source in EU that ships everywhere within EU?

regards,
Halcyon
http://www.dirkvader.de has a list with online-shops, and
http://www.noisemagic.de ships to Finland and accepts Paypal.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:40 am

SpyderCat,

thanks! I'll check them out.

BTW, I consider VISA to be about 1 000 000 times safer than the Federal banking scheme rip off they call PayPal :)

So many people I know have lost money on that system that I've lost count. Better stay away from it :)

regards,
Halcyon

aristide1
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aristide1 » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:11 am

I'm really anxious to find out how the AX-7 heatsink performs in sucking mode.
I was wondering what you were going to use for a heat sink. Good choice.

mynci
Friend of SPCR

Post by mynci » Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:31 pm

i have jsut today recieved three of the panaflo lia's. i previously had 4 S2's running in my sytem and a zalman 120mm @ 3.5v.
i have to say that the panaflos seem to push much more air at much less noise at a higher voltage.

initially i had 1 S2 on a front intake blowing over 2 'cudas mounted in a home made foam device. one pointing directly at (taking up a pci slot) my stock geforce sink (ti 4200) with the fan removed. and then one exaust fan and a heavily modded psu with one S2 mounted on the outside of the back and the other fan hole (pointing the cpu) is closed off. lastly the 120mm zalman was pointed over the cpu on a standard bracket.
i had resonable temps the hdd's @~40oC case~34oC and cpu about 40-43 while folding.
all ran at 5v except the zalman which seemed happy with a curious botch of mine that got it down to about 3.2V - it started fine and became almost bareable in noise.
all were also mounted (where possible) on either earplugs or foam and duck tape= they were certainly mechanically decoupled.
however the noise was, for me, unsatisfactory. perhaps its a little quite here or im a little sensitive. either way i could clearly here the system during the day (albeit while quite and away from roads) from up to 5 meters away. dont get me wrong, it was very quiet but not silent.
the main problem was the zalman - quite a whine, and the exhaust fans. the psu one made an almost chug chug noise. and the exhaust was a whooshing noise.
i have since replaced the psu and exhaust fan with 80m panaflos along with the cpu fan. i have an s2 as the intake fan and it seems to like this position and is almost completely silent a few inches away. and the graphics card cooler(a s2), which for some reason doesn't even become audible untill about 7v.
the sytem is much more quite there is more airflow and about as cool (hdd's are running at a better temp ~37deg). the air from the psu seems much cooler too.
i can know only *just* here the system from a few meters away, and i suspect that the low frequency rumble i can here is due to the hdd's.

the moral of the story - the S2's look a little nicer and are certainly nicely packaged - the molex's included along with pots and alu nobs makes it a nice package and they are quiet if the conditions suit them.
however if you can get them (as we now seem to be able to in the uk from a lady called dorothy on ebay) the panaflos are cheaper (£6.50) (granted none of the extra kit) and they lack a tacho (if you care) and dont start at lower voltages (but dont really need to) i would strongly recommend the panaflos.

please excuse the misuse of quite and quiet,, im either dislexic or lazy.

cheers
mynci.

Rod M
-- Vendor --

Post by Rod M » Thu Apr 24, 2003 6:33 am

thanks for the analysis mynci
, much appreciated,

it looks like I will not import the NoiseBlocker Fans,

mynci
Friend of SPCR

Post by mynci » Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:40 am

you make a fair point, however i did use a noiseblocker for a time in place of the zalman(which is a 92mm fan not 120mm - i dont know where i got that from!!) and the main noise source was without a shadow of a doubt the exhaust and the psu exhaust (@5v).
the noise blocker i have running currently as an intake fan @5v is almost silent - i cant hear it over the other fans/hdd.

i think my point should have been - noise blockers are good, but (subjectively at least) make more noise at lower voltages and push less air that a panaflo. all i meant was i would go for panaflos every time now.
however the fact i bought the retail packs meant i got all to cool pots and stuff - they have their place but i wouldnt recommend them over a panflo.

ghowarth
Friend of SPCR

Post by ghowarth » Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:54 pm

halcyon wrote:Has anybody found a source in EU that ships everywhere within EU?

regards,
Halcyon
They delivered direct to me when I was in the UK.

I ordered an S2 to replace my Papst NGML, which I had on my processor heatsink, as that had a 4-pin connector. The S2 is notably louder at 12v than the Papst - but is very, very quiet below 7v. I can only hear it if I stick my head inside my case!

As an aside, I also ordered a 300W silent PSU from them that contained similar quietened fans inside it. I also recommend this, apart from it is a little pricey.

Graham

SpyderCat

Compared: NoiseBlockers S2, S3, Panaflo A12L, Papst 8412 N/2

Post by SpyderCat » Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:05 am

I promised to give you my impressions of NoiseBlocker and other (low power) 80 mm fans.

Papst 8412 N/2GL: Wires 30 cm, rpm sensing.
NoiseBlocker S2 & S3 fans: Nice package, long wires with rpm sensing, comes with speed-control.
Panaflo A12L: 2 wires, 30 cm long

At 4.95 Volts:
Papst drew 27 mA; airflow felt on my face at a distance of 10 cm.
Panaflo A12L drew 35 mA; airflow felt on my face at a distance of 20 cm.
NoiseBlocker S2 drew 43 mA; airflow felt on my face at a distance of 40 cm.
NoiseBlocker S3 drew 61 mA; airflow felt on my face at a distance of 55 cm.
The NoiseBlocker fans produced a faint whiny sound; a sound absolutly not present with the other fans.

With my arm stretched in front of me, holding the fans in my hand, how many volts could I give before I could hear the fan?
NoiseBlocker S3: 6.3 volts, airflow felt on my face at a distance of 70 cm.
NoiseBlocker S2: 8.2 volts, airflow felt on my face at a distance of 60 cm.
Papst 8412 N/2GL: 10.2 volts, airflow felt on my face at a distance of 55 cm.
Panaflo A12L: 9 volts, airflow felt on my face at a distance of 60 cm.

All fans were also tested at 12 volts.
Both NoiseBlockers produced a pronounced whining sound.
The S3 could clearly be heard more than 6 meter away.
The S2 could be heard at 6 meter.
Panaflo A12L could be heard at 5 meter.
Papst 8412 N/2GL could be heard at 4 meter.

Conclusion:
NoiseBlockers are powerful but useless for us as they produce a very annoying sound.
The Papst 8412 N/2GL is almost silent but not more quiet than the Panaflo A12L when both fans are asked to produce the same cooling power.
As the Panaflo A12L is able cool better than the Papst at 12 volts I say: Panaflo A12L RULEZ

Ad:
I have for sale: Noiseblockers S2 & S3
Will ship international ! :lol:

Regards, Han.

cliche

Post by cliche » Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:12 am

Good info Spydercat
Will use that info to buy Panaflos :D

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Re: Compared: NoiseBlockers S2, S3, Panaflo A12L, Papst 8412

Post by halcyon » Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:18 am

Spydercat,

excellent review! And you found a way to beat the lack of testing equipment really intuitively.

Now if you could just purchase a couple of fans from Power Fluid and do another test like that :)

cheers,
Halcyon

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Mon May 19, 2003 7:02 am

Apparenly the Noiseblocker fans are made by or are the same fan as sold under the name Sharkoon:

http://www.easy-mod.de/emcontent/defaul ... oon_silent

cheers,
Halcyon