How to hook up fan controller outside Computer?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

preti9cboi

How to hook up fan controller outside Computer?

Post by preti9cboi » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:13 pm

Can anyone tell me how to hook a fan controller outside of a computer?

The reason is because i placed my computer inside of a box shelf for a clean look and it's heating up. I need to creat some holes around my wooden casing and place fans with a fan controller in it. Any suggestions?

zistu

Post by zistu » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:21 pm

How many fans are we talking about? The Zalman Fanmate 2 has very long cables but it will only be good for controlling one or at most 2 fans.

If you need to control more fans, the easiest thing to do would be to get some extension wires for both the fans and the power connection on the controller.

Or you could use some other 12 volt power adapter, connect that to the fan controller to power it, but you'd still need extension wires for the fans then.

How many fans do you want to control in total, and what distance do you need to cover?

preti9cboi

Post by preti9cboi » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:27 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I want to do two fans and it's for a friend.

For some reason he doesnt want the fans to be connected to the computer itself incase he ever needs to take it out so i find it to be a bit of a problem. But the only way i see we can do it is to install a fan controller inside of the computer and make an extension.