Best fan for an SLK-900?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Liquidated

Best fan for an SLK-900?

Post by Liquidated » Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:43 pm

ok first post so please excuse if this is the wrong forum as I spent a good half min waffling between fans and heatsinks.

For my first new PC in more than 3 years, I just want the bloody thing to be quiet. I have 2 60mm screamers for the cpu alone in my current box and wow is this thing noisy

going for either a 2500+ barton or a p4 2.4-800 canterwood depending how long I can hold out =)

For heatsink have decided on the thermalright slk900 for the ability to install a 92mm fan for lower rpms and therein lies my question.

For the 92mm fan what's a good choice?
The talk I hear is all about the panaflo L1A's but I hear alot about the pabsts like the one at http://www.plycon.com/fans/papst92.htm

If you could lend me your wisdom regarding a low noise/high heat disipation fan, I'm all ears..

p.intended

Cheers!
-Liq
Last edited by Liquidated on Thu May 01, 2003 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Thu May 01, 2003 12:14 am

Well, I'd recommend the Panaflo FBA09A12L1BX (if you can find one) only because it supports RPM monitoring and it's very quiet. You should have no problem with airflow at all with this fan.
I don't have experience with the Pabst fans but I hear they are good as well.

Any other ideas?

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Thu May 01, 2003 1:18 am

I wouldn't rush to put a 92mm fan on an SLK900. Yes it fits, yes it is quieter (for the same airflow), but a lot of that air spills down the sides of the SLK. Realistically, unless you are seriously overclocking, a well focussed 20cfm will do you just fine.

Say you CPU is 80W (peak), then the basic aircooling theory says your temp rise (with 20cfm) is
dt = (80 * 1.76)/20 = 7C
OK, so this assumes a perfect heatsink, but looking at http://www.overclockers.com/articles698/ even if your C/W drops to 0.50 with a 20cfm fan, your 80W CPU will peak 40C above ambient (25 ambient = 65 CPU) which is OK, and next to silent. Note 0.50 is an horrendous assumption, with a 19cfm Papst 80mm on my SLK-800 my CPU peaks about 24C above ambient.

The main point is 80mm fans are easy and cheap to find, 70mm & 92mm are a little off the track and there is no such thing as a quiet 60mm! On my setup an undervolted 80mm Panaflo L1A was struggling (+-16cfm) - with an SLK-900 you may just get away with it, depends on your ambient temps. Definately for silence you want the best heatsink you can afford/find, so the SLK is a good choice. After that you will have the luxury of choosing a quiet fan, my view is an 80mm may be best.

Vector

Post by Vector » Thu May 01, 2003 3:58 am

Well I agree with dukla2000, except for the non-existent quiet 60mm fan thing. I have a 60mm that came with my cheap CompUSA case and it is absolutely dead silent. Inaudible even when you put it right up against your ear! Granted it only spins at 1000RPM, but for a 60mm, that's not too shabby. I'm gonna have to find out who makes these things and get more of them. It says "Globe" on the sticker, but I've never heard of a company called Globe before. Maybe I'll do some searching on the Net.

Anyway, I can personally attest to his comments on the SLK900. I have an 80mm Panaflo L1A on it, and it cools my P4 extremely well. Any bigger fan would be useless.

Vector

Post by Vector » Thu May 01, 2003 4:05 am

Wow!!!

I've found them:

http://www.globefan.com/DC.htm

These are the silent 60mm fans that I referred to in my previous post, for anyone who's interested. The quietest one on there is 17db at 2500RPM. I'm not sure why the one I have isn't listed on there. Mine maxes out at about 1200RPM.

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Thu May 01, 2003 6:44 am

On the other hand, the 92mm fan the spills over on the side is very desirable in some situations.

In my D8000 rig, the 92mm fan sends some extra air directly onto the GPU heatsink and the motherboard northbridge heatsink.

With this setup, there is no need for one of those zalman fan brackets and extra fan for the GPU heatsink.

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Thu May 01, 2003 7:02 am

I have personally had VERY good results with a 120mm -> 80mm adapter on my SLK-800 and a Papst 120mm fan.

I originally had a 80mm Papst on it, but it was not sufficient to cool the heatsink nor did it cool down the nearby caps or northbridge.

So, I fitted a fan adapter on the SLK-800 and put a silent 120mm Papst with a fan controller on it.

I was able to get the same amount of noise, much lower cpu temps and the mb temp went down as well (I'm guessing the sensor is somewhere nearby the sink or northbridge).

So, by all means look into 92mm or even 120mm fans, if you can build yourself an adapter.

regards,
Halcyon
Last edited by halcyon on Wed May 21, 2003 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GamingGod

Post by GamingGod » Thu May 01, 2003 8:38 am

Can we see a picture of your adapter?

betty

Post by betty » Thu May 01, 2003 4:16 pm

The SLK seems like a huge heatsink. Would it be possible to get away with using it without any fan at all if you're not overclocking?

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Thu May 01, 2003 4:53 pm

betty wrote:The SLK seems like a huge heatsink. Would it be possible to get away with using it without any fan at all if you're not overclocking?
Not really: there is another thread just started about some guy with an undervolted XP1700, but reading his report, when he started Prime his temps only stopped rising when he killed Prime. Any current AMD or Intel processor just dissipates too much power for (easy) passive cooling. On the other hand, a Via Epia can get away with a lot smaller passive sink than an SLK.

Hey Katana Man - nice tidy setup. But it demands the smartass comment, does that Panaflo 92mm exhaust over the struts? And under your optical disk, is that just foam to damp the disk rack vibrations?

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Thu May 01, 2003 5:41 pm

dukla2000 wrote:Hey Katana Man - nice tidy setup. But it demands the smartass comment, does that Panaflo 92mm exhaust over the struts? And under your optical disk, is that just foam to damp the disk rack vibrations?
Struts? Do you mean the heat sink fins?
The foam is part of the AcoutisPack deluxe. It helps to reduce noise even further.

Liquidated

yeah

Post by Liquidated » Thu May 01, 2003 10:15 pm

Actually I have to admit to have studied Katana's rig there and pretty much adopted his setup with the exception of case. Going with that globalwin 61F1 there san wheels since it's gotten so cheap.... relatively =)

I actually wanted overhang for the fan so it could double as my northbridge cooler though I'm rather dubious it'll help the old graphics card much.

As for the cpu fan Katana, does the panaflo you use do the job well or were you planning on replacing it with something else?

Regardless, this site and forum are simply amazing. So much good information here it's sucked up most of my free time reading and revising my upcoming pc.

Now if I can just hold out for that upcoming 2.4 GHz canterwood solution..... erk. To help me wait I get to playaround with the case before I even look at cpu prices.

Cheers!
-Liq

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Fri May 02, 2003 1:03 am

Katana Man wrote:Struts? Do you mean the heat sink fins?
No, the bits of the fan that hold the hub to the frame (and that the fan power wires run along 1 of)?

The pic shows your hsf 'flo struts up, and most fans exhaust over the struts. (Which would imply at the time of your pic at least your fan was sucking from the sink, not blowing! Except I know there are exceptions to the 'exhaust over the struts' rule, eg Papst 41xx, and suspect your answer is that the 92mm 'flo is one of the?)

Mr_Smartepants

Post by Mr_Smartepants » Fri May 02, 2003 1:10 am

Yeah, you're right! KatanaMan's got his HSF in 'suck' mode.:lol:

If that's the case, how does it blow onto the northbridge? The CPU waste heat is immediately sucked out by the two 120mm fans.

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Re: yeah

Post by Katana Man » Fri May 02, 2003 6:38 am

Liquidated wrote:Actually I have to admit to have studied Katana's rig there and pretty much adopted his setup with the exception of case. Going with that globalwin 61F1 there san wheels since it's gotten so cheap.... relatively =)
*Insert Homer Simpson drooling*
I love the globalwin 61F1. I'd like to have that case next. Best price I found was $145 at computernerd.

Hmm... I must have wired my Panaflo backwards. It is currently blowing on the heatsink. That's what I love about the SLK900U, it'll take 3 seconds to switch the fan around (after I fix the polarity issue).

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Fri May 02, 2003 6:56 am

Wow, I had it in suck mode! I must have put it on wrong during my recent updates. It's now blowing, and my temps dropped another degree for the CPU and motherboard. CPU is now at 35C and the Motherboard is 22C :D
Thanks for the catch guys.

For a test, I cranked up the fans to 12V and the best I can get is 35C/21C. I've cut the voltages to a fraction, (somewhere around 4-5V) and my temps only rise to 36C/22C. With the stock bezel on, temps went up 3C. After I did the mesh mod, it breathes easy once again. This just confirms my point about good airflow with 120mm case fans.

Liquidated

as the pc turns...

Post by Liquidated » Fri May 02, 2003 12:40 pm

well got the globalwin (um 61f1) from computernerd just this morning. I was taking the dog out for a bath when the ups truck pulled up... um yeah It was hard, but I washed the dog first=p

it's was the afor mentioned $145 w/o psu model and since the store is local took like a day to ship ups ground.

Got home opened the box up and the case was fine; no dings no broken bits.

bag of nibbly bits, some casters which I'll not use and this puzzling 5.25 inch bay bus thing that has a center mount lcd.... um I'll hit google to figure out what the heck that thing is.

The rear fan installed was a:
Sunon KD1212PTB2-6A

I'm assuming those will get replaced my a few panapabsts (i.e. no idea yet which brand)

The one thing that puzzled me was a paper wrapped sheet included. Opened it up and there in all it's glory was an acryic replacement for the left side. I went so far as to fit it to make sure it was intended as a replacement.

I'm guessing it's an easy way to add a window but I personally have no use for it so back in the bag it goes. I just want a quiet pc as my old pc sits next to me, waking the neighbors.

Only thing I noticed omitted was a back plate for the psu... I have a few laying around the house from old pc's so it's not an issue but been out of the loop so long, not sure if it's supposed to be there.

An amazing case though it's got a few sharp edges I'll fix. Very light for it's oversized midtower form.

hehe sorry, back to fans.

Cheers!
-Liq

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Fri May 02, 2003 1:04 pm

Hehe, yeah this topic has had a casual/lazy wandering on and off topic again. I'd love to see pics of your case when it's done. I would think there currently is no better mid tower out there.

dukla2000
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by dukla2000 » Fri May 02, 2003 1:28 pm

Coming back on topic (I just scrolled to the top again as I wasn't sure what thread this was) ...

Noticed you looking at the Papst 3412NGL (missed that first time round!) Got a couple of them myself, close to silent at 7V, too noisy for me at 12V. Which coincides with my earlier rabbiting on: I think my ears have a 20cfm tolerance. The 3412NGL at 7V is 20.9cfm and OK with me, the 8412NGL at 12V is 19.4cfm and OK, and an 80mm 'flo L1A at 12V is 24cfm - too noisy for me but OK at 7V (14cfm).

The 7V 3412NGL is quieter than the 8412NGL at 12v (both theoretically and subjectively).