The ultimate multimedia mobo does not control fan speed?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Rebellious

The ultimate multimedia mobo does not control fan speed?

Post by Rebellious » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:04 pm

I just built a new machine based on the new Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H. This motherboard does NOT control fan speed. The system fan is always on and running at full speed (1200rpm), it's even on when the machine is suspended! The fan is a 120mm 3-pin Scythe S-FLEX SFF21E. The BIOS monitors case temperature and reports the correct RPM. I fiddled with BIOS but I can't fix it. Any ideas?

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:26 pm

Normally there's a setting in the BIOS that refers to fan control. It's found in different sections with different machines. If it's not there, chances are there's no control....only a straight 12V.

Try loading Speedfan, and play around with the fan settings. See if the RPM changes.

Shukuteki

Post by Shukuteki » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:32 pm

The GA-MA69G-S3H that I have, which is the full ATX version of the board you have, exhibits this same behavior. The Yate Loon 120mm I have hooked up runs at 1500(ish) rpm no matter what I do.

Rebellious

Post by Rebellious » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:36 pm

No way, I didn't think there was a mobo nowadays that can't control the fans. It suspends (S1) and leaves the fan running at full blast, WTF. It shuts down at S3 but no blinking LED.

I'll try undervolting. Two 12cm fans running at 5v are quieter than 1 fan at full blast 12V? How do I rewire the 4-pin molex for 5 volt? Just cut the 12v line? Is it possible that some fans are PWM-enabled and some aren't? Maybe I just need a different fan. BTW, Speedfan can't control this mobo either.

I'll return the Gigabyte if fan control won't work. That's a deal-breaker, without thermostatic control this machine will fry. Can somebody recommend a mobo with decent fan control?

Thanks for the replies, I'll post a photo of my build after dinner

Michael Sandstrom

Post by Michael Sandstrom » Sun Dec 09, 2007 4:43 pm

For a three pin fan like your 120mm unit you could order a $5 Zalman Fanmate which can vary between 5 and 12 volts. If you are running a four prong fan and want to switch from 12 volts to 5 volts you can modify the molex connector by swithcing the 12 and five volt leads. A sharp pointed pin is used to modify molex connectors.

CountChoculaBot

Post by CountChoculaBot » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:25 pm

have you tried sticking the 3 pin connector in other fan headers? On a few mobos, they have it so that some fan connectors allow speed regulation while others dont, for some reason.

Shukuteki

Post by Shukuteki » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:39 pm

CountChoculaBot wrote:have you tried sticking the 3 pin connector in other fan headers? On a few mobos, they have it so that some fan connectors allow speed regulation while others dont, for some reason.
There aren't any other fan headers.

Rebellious

photos

Post by Rebellious » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:45 pm

A photo midway through the build

http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGE ... 774_25.JPG

I had 2 sets of leftover wires that didn't seem to belong anywhere. The F_AUDIO connector has an AC'97 attached to it but there's no header for it on the mobo so I just left it hanging.

http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGE ... 787_25.JPG

Same thing with the 1394, it has a bunch of small connectors that likewise I bundled and left unconnected.

http://zcxg8s2v5qpgt.home.att.net/IMAGE ... 785_25.JPG

Sizzle
Patron of SPCR

Post by Sizzle » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:47 am

Not sure if it applies to this board or not, but I was looking at a Gigabyte mobo the other day, downloaded the manual to look at the fan control section, and it only appears that the CPU fan can be controled from the BIOS. I found that very disappointing.

I may be wrong, but I think if you load their EasyTune 5 application, you can control the fans via Windows.