Yate Loon 12SL or Scythe SFlexE (Both at 7V)?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Yate Loon 12SL or Scythe SFlexE (Both at 7V)?

Post by thetoad30 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:43 pm

All,

I've been trying to bone up on new air cooling technology since I've been water cooling for the past two or three years.

In the old days Nexus was the fan of choice, until the YL became more previlant in the retail channels.

Now, however, I'm stuck with a conundrum. I am not sure if I should run YL 12SL at 7V, or if I should get a Scythe Sflex E and run it at 7V?

Which is quieter?

I will be using these fans in the P182. Two for the top and rear exhaust, one in the lower bay, and maybe one on my AC Accelero S1 and Ninja Plus B.

Are the YL ok for this? Or should I invest in the newer Scythe fans for almost twice the price?

Can I undervolt the SFlex to 7V? I've read that it is internally reduced in voltage to get to the RPMs that are advertised, and I just want to make sure I don't stall the fan after spending the cash on them.

Currently have an E6700 and an 8800GT SSC from EVGA (700mhz core).

Thanks, all.

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:31 pm

Just what sort of fan control will you use? The YL will be turning more rpms at the same voltage than the Scythe. In order to get the YL quieter, you need to run less voltage.

If your controller uses PWM, the fans usually will start ok at low voltages, but each fan suffers from PWM induced noise, with many different PWM controllers.

You might consider a Scythe SlipStream....quieter than an S-Flex, and cheaper.

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by thetoad30 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:44 pm

Bluefront wrote:Just what sort of fan control will you use? The YL will be turning more rpms at the same voltage than the Scythe. In order to get the YL quieter, you need to run less voltage.

If your controller uses PWM, the fans usually will start ok at low voltages, but each fan suffers from PWM induced noise, with many different PWM controllers.

You might consider a Scythe SlipStream....quieter than an S-Flex, and cheaper.
There is no fan controller. 7V trick using an adapter from Jab-Tech.

I will be using these as exhaust fans, as well as intake and heatsink fans.

I was under the impression that the SlipStream fans were at a higher pitch with less blade area, meaning that static pressure was lower and thus not suitable for the needs that I was looking for. Does that hold?

Thanks for the reply.

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:50 pm

I have both fans at home and I don`t think you should notice a difference at similar rpm. Getting the yate loons will save you enough money for a fan controller so why not go this route.

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by thetoad30 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:49 pm

Honestly, I don't really want to use a fan controller. It's more to wire up, more to fail, and the only one I would get would be the one from Scythe, but I cannot find one locally that ships for a reasonable price...

But I have thought about that... I just wish it were feasible for me...

Thanks for the thoughts!

ntavlas

Post by ntavlas » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:59 pm

If you don`t use a fan controller, the yate loons will need about 5 volts to match the speed of the skythe fans @ 7v which is possible using the 5v adaptors by zalman.

KenAF

Post by KenAF » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:18 am

If you haven't already bought a motherboard, some feature built-in fan control to reduce the voltage on every fan header during idle.

One example would be the Abit IP35 Pro.

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by thetoad30 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:40 am

Ok.

So the YL push more air then at 7V than the SFlex do?

Again, I'm trying to get these fans running at 7V using the 7V adapter trick. No motherboard connections, no fan controllers, etc.

I was just wondering if the SFlex were pushing more air or not at 7V compared to the YL, and if they did, if they were quieter. The specs show that they push a lot more air at 12V and 1200 RPM than the YL do at 1100-1200 RPM, and that they do it about 4dBa quieter.

Just trying to figure out if they are worth the money or not. I need relatively high airflow at quiet speeds (and by high, I mean compared to most SPCR people as I have VRMs and other things to cool semi-passively with case-only fans).

Does that help explain the situation a little better?

Thanks all.

newschool

Post by newschool » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:14 pm

bro just get the slipstream. its the best at the moment. only the noctuas are as quiet , its a different kind of noise. but they are 3x less cheap.

thetoad30
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by thetoad30 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:51 pm

I always thought that the Noctua was found to not push as much air with back pressure, such as mounted as exhaust and HS fans, which I plan on using these fans for.

Does this hold true for the slipstreams?

Thank you

MikeC
Site Admin

Post by MikeC » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:53 pm

thetoad30 wrote:Does this hold true for the slipstreams?
No, though my usage has not been exhaustive and no tests have really been done. The main thing is that at the same rpm, these things make less tonal noise than any other fan I've tried. In actual use, I ignore CFM issues -- the temps are all I need to know; my ears tell me the rest.