Time for new Fans :)

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Volkswagen

Time for new Fans :)

Post by Volkswagen » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:38 am

I have a P182 with Zalman ZM F3 Fans on a Ultra 3.5" Fan Controller. These fans spin up to 1800 rpm and push a serious amount of air but I have them on the lowest setting on the controler which is 7V. I estimate them to be arround 1200rpm or so which is not QUIET! They are defenatly better then the stock fans I bought them localy and got a great deal on them :) I want to get some new fans to make this system c;pse to silent or quieter then it is right now. I have been considering these fans:

120mm Scythe SFF21D S-FLEXâ„¢ Case Fan (33.5 CFM/8.7 dBA)

Seems like it spins at 800rpm which defenatly should be quieter then my current fans and I could slow it down if needed. I have the F version on my Ultra 120 Extreme HSF and even at full blast they are not louder then my over all system.

or

120mm Scythe SY1225SL12L "Slip Stream" Case Fan (40.17 CFM, 10.7 dBA)

120mm Scythe SY1225SL12SL "Slip Stream" Case Fan (24.5 CFM, 7.5 dBA)

First one is a 500 RPM version and second one is 800RPM.

How are these Slip Streams? Is it really what it says they are spec wise? I guess the Low ( 500 ) RPM should be perfect for the lower part of the case for the hdd's ( got 2 x 250 GB Segates 7200.10's in there )

I will keep the Sflex F on my HSF because I have a Q6600 @ 9x 400 to keep it kool when needed.

I can get 2 of the slip streams for the price of one SFLEX fan but if the SFLEX is that much better I will get them.

Antec P182
Corsair HX 620W PSU
Q6600 @ 9x400 with Ultra 120 Extreme with Sflex F 120mm
Abit IP35-Pro
4 GB DDR2 800 G.Skill
eVga 8800GT ( Waiting for the new S1 to get in stock )
2 x 250 GB Segate 7200.10 HDD

Now I just need quieter fans :)

Would it be possible for me to eliminate some of the fans? If so which ones? I also cut off the grills on the back and top of the case along with the front and did that door mod so that the swinging doors aren't that restrictive.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:43 am

You'd be ok with the 800rpm Slipstreams, they are very quiet at 800rpm and push a decent amount of air for their speed. You can at least get rid of one, probably two fans, in that case.

Try creating a duct for your CPU HSF back to the rear exhaust and removing the CPU fan. If it gets too warm you can always put it back on. After that, I'd look at removing that fan in front of the video card, it doesn't really look like it's doing anything other than throwing cool air toward the videocard, which you'd be getting with negative pressure anyway (and if you're going with an S1, you'd want to do this so the airflow works properly). The top exhaust fan could probably go too.

You may want to try running the bottom chamber without the fan too, just to see how your temps are with that. TIP: don't remove the fans to test, just unplug them at first and see what happens. If it gets too hot with the obstruction of a fan, it's probably too close to the thermal limits of that setup and you'd be better off with a fan blowing there.

Volkswagen

Post by Volkswagen » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:41 am

Yeah either the 500 or the 800 rpm version of the Slipstreams would be great. I can't monitor my hdd's temperature because they are in raid and that dosn't let you monitor their temperatures. I don't know if runing the HSF without a fan would be a good idea because it might get warm....I guess I could just set the fans to turn on if the cpu gets past 50c or something along those lines. I do want to eliminate as much fans as I can.

Volkswagen

Post by Volkswagen » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:43 am

if i do run without the hdd fan is there anything in the back of the case that i need to tape up so the psu exhausts the air?

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:10 am

Well, by creating a duct for the CPU HSF it will still get all of the airflow from the rear exhaust fan and exhaust some hot air at the same time. Basically your exhaust fan is doing two jobs at once. Plenty of other here do the same thing (maybe search in the CPU Cooling) forum for duct ideas.

Here's a really good one from an HTPC so you get the idea.

AFAIK, you shouldn't need to block anything for the PSU to exhaust the air from the lower chamber. You can always use your hand to feel if the drive is warmer than usual.

Volkswagen

Post by Volkswagen » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:16 pm

orderd today

2 x 800 rpm Slipstreams
2 x 500 rpm slipstreams
1 x S1 Rev 2 VGA cooler
1 x Sycthe Kama Bay

I plan on using the Kama Bay with no fan, the 500 rpm will try in the lower hdd bay then I will use an 800rpm on my vga and I will try the ducting idea using the SFLEX F fan that I have right now just because It has the option to push some nice air if needed when gaming and then being quiet when not doing heavy cpu tasks. I will keep you guys updated and of course post some pictures once done :)

Volkswagen

Post by Volkswagen » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:55 am

wow :shock:

What a difference with these new slipstream fans :shock: My pc is very very quiet if not silent with the same amout of fans as before. I still need to get in the kama bay and slap on the S1 on the 8800GT but wow I was supprised. I also picked up a WestingHouse 24" LCD over the weekend and when you turn down the brightness on it it starts to make a buzzing noise which is louder then my pc :evil: My temps remained about the same so I am a veryy happy :) I will post some pics once I get in the S1 and the kama bay. I have 2 x 500 rpm slipstreams ( top intake and hdd fan ) and 1 800rpm exhaust. The Sflex can be heard when on full speed while gaming but other then that at 7v its silent and blends right in with the rest of the system :)

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:37 am

Volkswagen wrote:wow :shock:

What a difference with these new slipstream fans :shock: My pc is very very quiet if not silent with the same amout of fans as before. I still need to get in the kama bay and slap on the S1 on the 8800GT but wow I was supprised. I also picked up a WestingHouse 24" LCD over the weekend and when you turn down the brightness on it it starts to make a buzzing noise which is louder then my pc :evil: My temps remained about the same so I am a veryy happy :) I will post some pics once I get in the S1 and the kama bay. I have 2 x 500 rpm slipstreams ( top intake and hdd fan ) and 1 800rpm exhaust. The Sflex can be heard when on full speed while gaming but other then that at 7v its silent and blends right in with the rest of the system :)
Good to hear about the fan choice.

Now you know why Westinghouse is so cheap...it's crap.

Should have mentioned you were looking at an LCD, we could have warned you! :oops:

In the Off Topic forum, they'll discuss quiet/noisy LCD monitors from time to time.

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:43 am

Well my samsung 950B is making lound noice also in low bright settings...