[AcoustiFan] Silicon Fan Gaskets?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

D Incorporated

[AcoustiFan] Silicon Fan Gaskets?

Post by D Incorporated » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:29 am

So I'm digging through EndPCNoise.com and I come across these silicon fan gaskets from AcoustiFan - 80mm, 92mm, 120mm.

I already have a Scythe S-FLEX E 120mm for the front of the PC, and I was going to order 2 Nexus Real Silent 80mms for case side and 1 Nexus Real Silent 92mm for rear exhaust. Are these gaskets useful, or at least worth the price? I don't intend to spend a whole day driving to hardware stores and assembling some supreme custom-mount, I just want something I can unpack and use.

(If it makes any difference, I believe the Nexus fans come with rubber plugs instead of screws anyway.)

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:23 am

in my experience, rubber plugs are better, since with silicone gasket you still need to use screws. Which mean hard attachment. metal screw the fan and against the case. It won't do much good as it won't decouple fan like rubber plugs.

D Incorporated

Post by D Incorporated » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:38 am

By "decouple", you mean hold the fan out so it's not pressing against the case?

And does that also mean those rubber plugs that come with the Nexus aren't compatible with those gaskets?

I just thought the gaskets would be better since they seal the fans against the case so there's no gaps thus ensuring proper airflow.

(I hadn't wanted to do this, but I actually do have a silicon tube I could use to seal the fans if they're being held away from the case at a slight distance.)

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:40 am

Yea i just used soft plugs to mount it. The fan doesnt touch the case and its much easier to remove the fans than when using conventional screws. Most silicon plugs wont work with these soft gaskets, although it would be overkill anyway.

D Incorporated

Post by D Incorporated » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:05 pm

Yeah I skipped the gaskets. Thanks for saving me enough money to finally get my Alien3 CD :D

cmthomson

Post by cmthomson » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:52 pm

The Acoustifan gaskets work quite well; I've used them for years. The 120mm gaskets are quite difficult to install though, as they are a bit too small and very floppy. I use a couple of pieces of tape to hold them in place during installation.