AOpen AK77-8XN and Silenttek

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

mahkum2

Post by mahkum2 » Sun May 18, 2003 6:02 am

britannica -- Thanks for the extensive report. I am still :x awaiting delivery of my AOpen motherboard (AK79D MAX). When I get it I'll post my experiences here as well. I've been wondering whether it is possible to use3 Pin Y Splitter to control additional fans using the Silenttek supporting fan headers. Have you tried this in any way? I would appreciate your comment/ experience on this.

aphonos
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by aphonos » Mon May 19, 2003 8:36 am

I have yet to see any report on this site where someone is using an AOpen board that does not have bugs (such as the SilentTek and Matrox issues you are facing).

As I have posted elsewhere, my AOpen AX4GPro, though the AOpen site says it supports SilentTek, does not support SilentTek. I can use the software to monitor temps, but not to control the fan speed. AOpen's response to my email was to say their engineers are working on it, but digging through their forums, it looks like they've been aware of the problem for a while, but no patch yet. In fact, with this board, they have removed the SilentTek BIOS features in the BIOS flash updates. That, IMO, points to a bug.
Reading through their forums, it seems that most of the SilentTek boards have some type of issue (not always with SilentTek) and it is not simply a case of ignorant users.

SilentTek looks like a great idea, but AOpen is having a hard time getting it to work yet. It would be nice if one of the manufacturers of the boards that are historically more stable (ABit or Asus) would try something along these lines. AOpen does seem more friendly toward underclocking, though, than any other manufacturer.

If you are considering an AOpen board, just do your homework before purchasing (as is the case with any product).

[/rant]

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Mon May 19, 2003 12:47 pm

I currently own 3 of the most recent Aopen boards, and so far, I absolutely love them. I haven't had any problems so far, and I think Aopen is under rated. 2 of the 3 boards use a heatsink on the northbridge which makes me happy.

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Mon May 19, 2003 12:57 pm

The AX4PER and the AK75 are the 2 with heatsinks. There are probably more.
You'll have to read up if they can do Vcore, multiplier , etc.. I have not messed with those. But I think they can.