another way to undervolt a fan

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

jcuesico

another way to undervolt a fan

Post by jcuesico » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:17 pm

I've seen the 7V trick by putting the fan between the +12V and +5V line.
Some people have concern if this will damage the PS since there is current flowing into the +5V of the PS.

I am wondering if anyone else has tried what I've done to undervolt a fan with tach/speed sensor.

I connect the +12V to the red wire, same as before. But now, instead of connecting the GND of the PS to the GND of the fan, I connect the GND of the PS to the tach/speed sensor. I leave the GND of the fan unconnected.

The fan will work, but now it will be a lot quieter. I measured the voltage between the +12V and GND of the FAN. I get approximately 6.5V.

So it's as if the fan was connected to 6.5V instead of 12V.

Has anyone else tried this?

cpemma

Re: another way to undervolt a fan

Post by cpemma » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:38 pm

jcuesico wrote:Has anyone else tried this?
No, and I'm not going to. :shock:

NeilBlanchard

Re: another way to undervolt a fan

Post by NeilBlanchard » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:05 pm

Hello,
jcuesico wrote:I've seen the 7V trick by putting the fan between the +12V and +5V line.
Some people have concern if this will damage the PS since there is current flowing into the +5V of the PS.
In theory, this could be problematic -- but in practice, there are no problems that I have heard of.

You can also run a fan from the 5v line. You can plug it into a motherboard header and control it in the BIOS. You can buy a Zalman FanMate 2 (about $5) and get ~5-11.5v. And you can buy a fancier fan controller. You can put a resistor or diode(s) on the 12v line.