Magnetic fans?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Hello-

Magnetic fans?

Post by Hello- » Thu May 01, 2008 8:57 am

I just recently heard about these, are they any good?

http://www.enermaxusa.com/catalog/produ ... cts_id=101

From the specs it shows 17dba @ 1000rpm I assume? Isn't this pretty loud for something claiming to be noiseless compared to the other fans enermax offers which push more air and run with only 8-14dba?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu May 01, 2008 9:24 am

Best fans in the market can produce about 20 to 23 dba at 1000 rpm's 8 120mm fan ) anything else is lying. Measuring 8 - 12 dba's is practically impossible. So its just marketing. However those magnetic fans have good changes of being quiet.

Felger Carbon

Re: Magnetic fans?

Post by Felger Carbon » Thu May 01, 2008 10:11 am

Hello- wrote:I just recently heard about these, are they any good?
Be advised that the promoted "noise levels" in the US of A are total fantasy. In Italy, Enermax puts some actual measured (at 100% RPM) noise levels on them... which are vastly higher.

I reviewed the Cluster (PWM) and Magma recently in the User Reviews forum. I'd like to see some measured performance data on the new fans under controlled air-impedance values... but there are no such measurements available anywhere (sigh).

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Thu May 01, 2008 11:06 am

I own two of these, had them in a Lian Li A05b. Used them for a positive pressure airflow scheme. They were incredibly quiet. Couldn't hear them over the idle/seeks of a Raptor drive. Their specifications say they're rated for 1000rpm, but all the monitoring software, and the BIOS for my motherboard say the fans spin at a max of ~950rpm with 12v. At that speed I really can't hear from ~2 feet away.

Aris

Post by Aris » Thu May 01, 2008 11:30 am

You'll always have the noise of the air being moved, and with quality fans, this is all you hear now.

The benefit with this technology would be that your fans wont "wear out" over time, since theirs no actual physical contact whatsoever between the motor and fan.

The Technology is still new, and will likely be improved upon before its perfected, but its a good step in the right direction.

ryboto
Friend of SPCR

Post by ryboto » Thu May 01, 2008 3:07 pm

Aris wrote:You'll always have the noise of the air being moved, and with quality fans, this is all you hear now.
Even a high quality fan will show some bearing noise at higher speeds. These magnetic fans have the benefit of zero bearing noise at all speeds. The one issue I have with them is their power draw, it's a bit high, probably why they don't spin exactly at 1000rpm.

Felger Carbon

Re: Magnetic fans?

Post by Felger Carbon » Thu May 01, 2008 3:12 pm

Hello- wrote:I just recently heard about these, are they any good?

http://www.enermaxusa.com/catalog/produ ... cts_id=101

From the specs it shows 17dba @ 1000rpm I assume? Isn't this pretty loud for something claiming to be noiseless compared to the other fans enermax offers which push more air and run with only 8-14dba?
I misspoke. Since you just recently heard about an enermax fan, I (incorrectly) assumed you were writing about the new Twister line.

The Marathon has been around for over a year. In my equal-airflow tests, it's the quietest 7-blade fan, and second only to the new 9-blade Slipstream for noise at equal airflow. Warning: there apparently is some sample variance, because SPCR's tests on the same fan showed a single-tone noise that my samples (3ea) don't have.

continuum
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by continuum » Thu May 01, 2008 9:33 pm

Hmm, interesting... previous to the Enermax Marathons the only magnetic bearing fans I'd used were high reliability/high flow (hence high noise) ones from Sunon targeted at server use.