What's a good starting point for target temps?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

floepie

What's a good starting point for target temps?

Post by floepie » Tue May 13, 2008 5:22 pm

First-time builder here. I have the Abit IP35 Pro, which has an amazing set of fan controls. However, I'm wondering what might be a good starting point for target temps for the CPU and System/Case temps. I have 2 80mm exhaust case fans, and 1 92mm CPU fan.

I've set the voltages to range from 6V-12V for all three fans. I've assigned the case fans to correlate with the System/Case temp, and the CPU fan to the CPU naturally.

So, for the System/Case temp, I set the low voltage/speed for 35C, and high speed for 50C. For the CPU temp, I set the low speed for 45C and high speed for 55C. Do those sound like good values to start with? This is for an HTPC case with a cool E2220 processor.

tehfire

Post by tehfire » Tue May 13, 2008 6:42 pm

Your CPU is good to about 73C, so I would set the fan to 100% at 70C. Low speed at 35C sounds pretty good, as long as it's quiet enough for you.

As for case temps, I never have had fan controls on based on it, so I can't speak much for it. Someone else would have to answer on that one...

dhanson865

Post by dhanson865 » Tue May 13, 2008 7:40 pm

The lowest temp I'm seeing in speedfan on my system right now is 25c. Its coming from the IT8712F-J so it's technically part of the motherboard's temps but since it's the coolest sensor in my case I label it "Case". I live in an air conditioned apartment so it's not hard to keep my "case" temp below 30c even in heavy usage.

If you lived in a tropical or subtropical environment or didn't have air conditioning for some reason your idea of a reasonable case temp would be much higher than mine.

Most parts are designed for 20c to 40c ambient. There is an old rule of thumb about every 10c increase in ambient cuts the life of a component. It's generally true but it just depends on the component quality how accurate the finishing part of the rule of thumb is.

Here is a random example of that rule of thumb from a google search I just did:
Lower temperature rise transformers will have longer life expectancies than hotter units providing that the insulation system rating remains constant. For a given insulation system rating, every 10-15 oC cooler the transformers temperature rise is, the transformers life expectancy is doubled. The lower watts loss of the cooler operating transformer may extend the life of other components inside the panel as well.
another random quote
Besides destruction, the lifetime of a transformer is determined by its highest temperature (so-called hot-spot temperature). For an oil-cooled transformer according to IEC 60354, lifetime is reduced by a factor 2 for every 6 degrees increase in hot-spot temperature. For dry transformers, according to IEC 60905, the increase is 10 degrees.
Every part in your PC will be affected by heat at a different rate so it just depends on which way you want to pay. Would you rather pay with noise or with cost of replacing parts? Luckily the Choice isn't black and white, you can choose some of both.

Some people clean dust out of the case and replace sleeve bearing fans several times a year just because they like to tinker and/or can't stand the noise of anything over minimal cooling.

Some people put up with faster fans and never clean the dust out.

Some go for as few fans as possible as an absolute goal. Others go for trying every possible combination of fans they can until they find the best possible scenario.

As to the hard drives I like to keep them below 40c, as I write this mine is bouncing around at 31 to 33c. It's been as high as 37c in the last hour or so.

I don't mind them being below 30c as I let them spin down. Some people freak about lower temps on HDs after the Google study but that study was server farms where the drive never spun down and there are several other reasons why it isn't relevant for the way people try to use that data on this conversation. Point being that as long as you avoid sudden temp changes, avoid condensation (dew, water, ice), you are better off with a cool drive than a hot drive and the cooler the better until a certain point. The argument is between people that only read the two graphs in the Google study and say anything below 40c kills hard drives and people that can think for themselves and understand the world is a complicated place with many variables.[/quote]