120 mm quiet fans with 3 wire RPM sensing?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

dem

120 mm quiet fans with 3 wire RPM sensing?

Post by dem » Tue May 20, 2003 12:38 pm

Hi, I'm new!

I'm still researching all my options on building a new silent machine or two.

I'm intrigued by the AOpen SilentTek fan control, and I'm also interested in the D8000/CompuCase LXA19 modified by coolcases.com.

These cases use 120 mm fans, and (apparently) for full functionality of the AOpen SilentTek, you need an RPM sensing fan.

So, after that long explanation: Are there any low output/low noise 120 mm fans that are 3 wire with RPM sensing?

Thanks.
dem

JimK

Post by JimK » Tue May 20, 2003 12:49 pm

Not the answer you are looking for but the only Panaflo BX (RPM sensor) 120mm listed on digikey.com is the H1BX - High Speed. Looks like another brand other than Panasonic is the answer. I don't know what that would be but some folks around here like the Pabst.

Edit: They also like the Papst fans! :lol:
Last edited by JimK on Thu May 22, 2003 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dem

Post by dem » Tue May 20, 2003 2:55 pm

Ah-ha. More googling after eating lunch lead to:
http://www.plycon.com/fans/stealth120.htm
"Stealth SF1202Sl, 53 CFM @ 28 dBA, 1500 RPM, 3 Pin.RPM Sensing: Yes"

The Pabst 120 is 4 wire, no RPM sensing. But that Vantec Stealth looks like it will do.

Lame to answer my own question from my very first post.. ah well!

mahkum2

Post by mahkum2 » Tue May 20, 2003 3:25 pm

dem -- but those Stealth fans have a terribble reputation. See this

http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=4403

miker
Patron of SPCR

Post by miker » Tue May 20, 2003 5:34 pm

Yeah those Vantec Stealths are anything but Stealthy

dem

Post by dem » Tue May 20, 2003 6:49 pm

I guess I should explain myself.. my goal is to not have that front fan run at all in normal use.

I plan to configure the case with the SilenX power supply and the JMC/jameco 120mm rheostat controlled exhaust fan.

Then I will have the AOpen motherboard control the CPU fan (SLK900 + panaflow probably) and have the motherboard set to only kick in the extra front intake fan in case of emergencies.

In other words, I'm hoping to adjust the exhaust fan to the lowest speed the computer will run without making the power supply fan spin too fast and noisy, or having the motherboard firing off the front intake fan.

Since I have no air conditioning, there are 2 or 3 weeks/year when it gets 100+ and I'm seduced by completely automated solutions (rather than having all manual fan controls, turning off the fans in the winter, back on in the summer, etc.)

However, if the front fan does need to run regularly (because of heat, or the power supply and/or rear exhaust fan having to run noisy) I'll put the JMC back in and control it via rheostat.

So, we'll see. Of course if JMC/Panaflow/et al want to come out with a quiet 3 wire RPM sensing 120mm fan, that'd be ideal! The only other one I've found is the Enermax, and that one seems even worse. heh.

dago
Patron of SPCR

Post by dago » Wed May 21, 2003 12:55 am

Both the enermax and papst 120mm fans I use have rpm-sensing 3pin connectors. I prefer the enermax.

Feel free to have a look/comment this page

halcyon
Patron of SPCR

Post by halcyon » Wed May 21, 2003 1:35 am

dago,

you have compared the most silent Papst against most silent Enermax in 120mm size? The Enermax was better both at lower voltages (5-7) and at 12 volts?

I've been trying to source Hypro or Panaflo 120 mm fans (the lowest speeds) in EU, but they are impossible to find.

I'm not very happy with my 120mm Papst fans and I need something more silent.

regards,
Halcyon
Last edited by halcyon on Wed May 21, 2003 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SZ
Patron of SPCR

about SilentTek

Post by SZ » Wed May 21, 2003 1:56 am

This is not about fans, but I think you should read this if haven't already read. I also thought about SilentTek and AX4PE MAX but after reading AOpen forums I do not want to buy it anymore, seems that AOpen software quality is not so good as AOpen claims.

Read this:

http://club.aopen.com.tw/forum/search.a ... ion=Search

by the way also seems that there are constant problems with the onboard sound, at least on AX4PE MAX.

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Wed May 21, 2003 4:43 am

Even if SilenTek is buggy (so far, all of mine are fine), the Aopen motherboards have been outstanding lately, in my opinion. Don't let Silentek stop you. (I don't have a AX4PE MAX)

SZ
Patron of SPCR

Post by SZ » Wed May 21, 2003 4:46 am

>Don't let Silentek stop you
:) Too late, I just received Intel 845PEBT2.

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Wed May 21, 2003 5:26 am

Intel is also a great choice. Very stable boards.

dem

Post by dem » Wed May 21, 2003 6:41 am

[quote="dago"]Both the enermax and papst 120mm fans I use have rpm-sensing 3pin connectors. I prefer the enermax.
[/quote]

Hm, that Enermax has a integrated pot for adjusting voltage - I wonder if the motherboard would care about that. It does seem available in the US, so I will buy it too and compare.

The Pabst 4412FGL does not seem to be available from any obvious vendors in the US, unless it has other names.

I also wonder a bit about running a big 120 off the motherboard fan headers in general. Maybe I will avoid the whole issue and just stick to manual control + intel motherboard. Decisions decisions...

Thanks for the replies everyone.

dago
Patron of SPCR

Post by dago » Wed May 21, 2003 9:08 am

Easy question first : I ran both 120 fans off the motherboard, full speed without any problems

Enermax integrated pot : I didn't worry too much about the motherboard. I just set it down to my needs and it works. I don't think it'll change something, you just divide the voltage applied to the fan. From the motherboard point of view, it's the same.

Papst vs Enermax (when plugged on my antec psu fan-only connector) : for me, enermax wins for quietness - papst for cfm. Measurement made by my loyal right hand and both ears. Added bonus to the enermax for the rheostat. Hopefully, my papst only click when my ear is <5 cm from the fan, which is pretty dangerous ;)

Katana Man
Patron of SPCR

Post by Katana Man » Wed May 21, 2003 9:15 am

dem wrote:The Pabst 4412FGL does not seem to be available from any obvious vendors in the US, unless it has other names.
Maybe because you are searching for "Pabst" instead of "Papst". I'm curious, why is it sometimes spelled "Pabst" overseas? That doesn't make sense to me since it's a company name. A company name should be spelled the same way regardless of where you live.

Here's 2 places to buy it in the USA:

http://www.plycon.com/fans/papst120.htm
http://www.directron.com/4412fgl.html

dago
Patron of SPCR

Post by dago » Wed May 21, 2003 9:45 am

not when you talk with a stupid (bad) german accent :

it becomes "babst" ;)

dem

Post by dem » Wed May 21, 2003 10:03 am

Katana Man wrote:
dem wrote:The Pabst 4412FGL does not seem to be available from any obvious vendors in the US, unless it has other names.
Maybe because you are searching for "Pabst" instead of "Papst". I'm curious, why is it sometimes spelled "Pabst" overseas? That doesn't make sense to me since it's a company name. A company name should be spelled the same way regardless of where you live.

Here's 2 places to buy it in the USA:

http://www.plycon.com/fans/papst120.htm
http://www.directron.com/4412fgl.html
Ah-ha. I had seen that fan on Plycon, but their web page says "4 wire, no RPM sensing" and the Directron page had a normal molex on the picture and no explicit labeling. However, the zoomed in picture on Directron is most definitely 3 wire. duh.

As for mis-spelling Papst.. well.. my parents ARE both from Germany.. heh!

Thanks again guys. I'm definitely gaining confidence that I can put this thing together..

dem

dago
Patron of SPCR

Post by dago » Wed May 21, 2003 11:53 am

my parents ARE both from Germany.. heh!
for punishment, record their native prononciation of "pabst ist keine papst" and listen to it in loop for 1 hour :twisted:

seriously, most papst fans are available in 3 pins (incl. sensing) or 4 pins.
maybe look the specs on papst.de (where did I put this PDF) , but, from what I see
Papst 4412 FGL : 120 mm, quiet, 4 pins connector
Papst 4412 F/2GL : 120 mm, quiet, 3 pins connector (the one I have)

:?: not sure -> to be verified ...