How do I slow down my 200mm Antec Big Boy?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Moogles

How do I slow down my 200mm Antec Big Boy?

Post by Moogles » Sun May 25, 2008 6:28 am

I got my mini P180 a few days ago and immediately removed the 200mm fan before I even installed my system because I assumed the noise it produced would be too much compared to 400RPM SlipStreams. Unfortunately my GPU started getting a little too hot and I decided to try the Big Boy. Its noise characteristic at low (400RPM) isn't that bad. Some mild clicking, but generally I only hear a mild whooshing sound that's not annoying, but definitely audible. Even at 400RPM it moves a significant amount of air, definitely more than necessary so I'd like to slow it down a bit. The Big Boy however only has a molex connector and an attached 3 speed fan controller. My Scythe SlipStreams came with a molex to 3 pin connector and I tried hooking that up to the 200mm fan but it didn't work at all.

Any ideas as to how I can slow this beast down? Preferably without stripping any wires.

Btw, does anyone know if the 200mm fans Silverstone uses in their new case are any good?

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun May 25, 2008 7:22 am

One way would be getting 4-pin -> 3-pin adapter ( not the regular 3-pin -> 4-pin connector you get with almost every fan ) and control it with Fanmate. I had similar adapter in CoolerMaster Musketeer and I easily could control 4 pin fan with Fanmate thanks to it. I haven't paid attention if you can buy such adapters but I think you should be able.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun May 25, 2008 6:50 pm

Hello,

If you have a small straight screwdriver, you can swap the pins around in Molex plug and get either 5v or 7v -- or use a Molex 'Y' and get both. Then you can use the 3-speed switch to adjust it down from there...

Moogles

Post by Moogles » Mon May 26, 2008 5:01 am

Thanks for the help!

I've been looking for the 4 pin -> 3 pin adapter but can't seem to find any locally. They do exist because Newegg carries them.

NeilBlanchard: I'll try your suggestion!

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:49 am

Post follow up with results. I'm currently considering getting Mini P180 for my new build, so I will face the same thing eventually, if I decide to get it.

nervx

Post by nervx » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:07 am

any update on this? i would like to slow mine down as well but cant find the cable adapter needed.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:15 am

One choice is to put Big boy on maximum and hit it on PSU's fan only connector. Too bad not many PSU have such things. But I am not sure if that helps getting it lower than 400 rpm's...

DIY peoples can start soldiering wires and make 4pin -> 3-pin adapter allowing usage of fan mate.

Agent_N

Post by Agent_N » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:00 am

Well, I bought one of these Sunbeam 4 port fan controllers and I like it a lot! You can also get a Silver one if you don't like black.

The LED's are kinda bright, but the knobs adjust from ~12v all the way down to 0V (off). So you aren't limited to 7v or 5v if you want to go down to 4v or 3v if the fan can handle the low voltage for startup (check by touching the fan at low speed to stall it and see if it starts rotating again, if not, turn the knob up higher). It's a cheap ($), simple, no frills fan controller that I like so much I'm tempted to get another one! It can handle 20 watts per channel so you can add several low powered fans to one channel assuming you have the right cables and connectors wired to your fans to do so.

It's $14.99 + shipping at Xoxide.com. I've shopped there before and have not had any problems. If you live in Canada you can look for it at your favorite PC e-tailer websites.

Erssa

Post by Erssa » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:38 am

I don't think the knobs fit under the closed door of Antec Mini P-180.

Felger Carbon

Post by Felger Carbon » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:51 pm

Agent_N wrote:The LED's are kinda bright...
The LEDs plug into 3-pin sockets. Unplug the center pin of the LED and it goes dark. Do it four times to turn all 4 LEDs off. This is a non-destructive modification, to get your bright LEDs back just plug wires back in. :wink:

Agent_N

Post by Agent_N » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:07 pm

Felger Carbon wrote:
Agent_N wrote:The LED's are kinda bright...
The LEDs plug into 3-pin sockets. Unplug the center pin of the LED and it goes dark. Do it four times to turn all 4 LEDs off. This is a non-destructive modification, to get your bright LEDs back just plug wires back in. :wink:
I don't mind the brightness, but mine are hard wired so I would have to cut the metal strip connected to the PCB. Perhaps you have a different version or a different production year.