Nexus Silent 120mm + Fan Controller problem *solved*

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Qbah

Nexus Silent 120mm + Fan Controller problem *solved*

Post by Qbah » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:41 am

Hello SPCR!

Long time reader here, first time posting (never had problems before now...).

Just to start, I always carefully follow SPCR's recommendations for a silent running PC. Obviously, I add some personal experience decisions, but usually you guys are right on the spot :)

Anyway, I recently put together a new rig for myself. Everything's running smooth, no problems with stability or anything. However... I bought the Antec P182 and a TRUE for my CPU. And bought 4 Nexus 120mm Silent fans to go together with it (3 for the case, 1 for the CPU cooler). Now, at 12V those things run at 1000RPM and are quiet, sure, but I can hear 'em clearly. It's not an issue when I'm working on the machine and music is running in the background or when I'm playing something. However, during night time this is an issue for me. So I wanted to drop the RPMs on it, bought a Zalman ZM MFC1 Plus fan controller first. To my surprise the fans didn't want to drop below 1000RPM, no matter what settings I set on the panel. So I started reading a bit on the Zalman and, to my surprise, it seemes there are two variables: the voltage won't drop below 5V (that's cool) and it won't allow the fans to spin slower than 1000RPM (which is my 12V speed...). So the fans are still running at top speed all the time, no matter the settings on the controller.

So, I started looking for another fan controller. Found one (Akasa something, nice looking, blue LCD and LEDs). I read that the alarm triggers at 600RPM hence I figured it will allow me to drop sub-1000RPM. But... that's not the case. No matter the settings I put on the controller, the fans are zooming at ~1000RPM all the time.

So here's the question. Is there any easy way to drop them even to 800RPM? 700? I am now stuck with two fan controllers, both of 'em not working the way I want them to. I connected the fans to the pins of the controller. And obviously the controller to a regular power plug from the PSU.

So, any advise? I'm desperate to drop them thingies even by 20%.

Thanks in advance! :)
Last edited by Qbah on Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:43 am

Try Akasa Fancontroller JR. It on ly controls three channels but moboheader should be able to control 4th one. FanController JR works perfectly with Nexus and gets it down to 6 volts no problem. I have used one for nearly 2 years and it has worked well. Unlike its bigger brother it has no lights or alarms, making it stealth one, fitting in 3,5" place and is as fool proof as AK-47.

Qbah

Post by Qbah » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:57 am

Thank you for the swift answer :)

However, I feel really stupid right now. By some twisted, unexplainable force I... can't say it... I plugged both the controller plugs *and* the 4 pin giant plugs (obviously for 12V permanent supply) to each of the fans :oops: And, what is more funny, I haven't noticed it until like 5 minutes ago when I gave up and started to put the whole rig apart. I put everything back in place, *didn't* plug the big ones in and voila, it works! :) On the Akasa one. the Zalman probably won't let me drop sub-1000RPM either way.

Anyway, sorry for bothering and thanks for any input/thought that could be dropped into this matter :) Which is now solved :P

EDIT: It lets me drop the speed down to a crawly 450RPM! Finally, everything's working as it should be and the rig is dead silent.

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:07 am

That happends to us all sometimes. We all do silly mistakes. No worries. Welcome to the SPCR!! by the way ^^

HAHA

Overkill ?

Post by HAHA » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:14 am

You have a surprising amount of fans for a P182.
You don't mention your hardware but it seems completely overkill.
I recently built a machine around the P182 with a 3 GHz 65 nm Core Duo, a passive 8600 GT, one 74 GB Raptor and two 500 GB Samsungs.

The CPU is cooled passively and I manage to keep everything within generous safety margins with just one 120 mm Nexus at 800 rpm (plus the one in the PSU). The fan is undervolted through a standard Zalman resistor.
The TriCool fans have been discarded and some tape has been used to cover some holes in the chassi in order to better guide the air. I also cut away the perforated grill for the rear outlet in order to increase flow and cut noise. The top blow hole has been covered completely. The machine is inaudible in a quiet room.

JaYp146

Post by JaYp146 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:47 am

thejamppa wrote:Try Akasa Fancontroller JR. It on ly controls three channels but moboheader should be able to control 4th one. FanController JR works perfectly with Nexus and gets it down to 6 volts no problem. I have used one for nearly 2 years and it has worked well. Unlike its bigger brother it has no lights or alarms, making it stealth one, fitting in 3,5" place and is as fool proof as AK-47.
I have the same exact fan controller myself. No issues with the Yate Loon 120mm fans I've plugged in. Better yet, it was $3.99 at Geeks.com whenever I got it in 2006. :D