Noctua NF-P12, question, better?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

RaptorZX3

Noctua NF-P12, question, better?

Post by RaptorZX3 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:00 pm

ok since i've CUT the back honeycomb grill for the exhaust fan of my Sonata 2, i've been wondering...

i know a lot of peoples said that the Noctua NF-P12 "howls" with resistance in front of it

what i want to know is, will the cooling be better for me if i use a Noctua NF-P12 instead of the NF-S12-1200 for exhaust? And the "howl" won't be present? (since i removed the back grill).

and i still have the 120mm fan that came with my Scythe Ninja.

RaptorZX3

Post by RaptorZX3 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:55 pm

i'm surprised no one answered me yet :lol:

Ethyriel

Post by Ethyriel » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:31 pm

I see no reason for you to use the P12 instead of the S12-1200, considering you don't have any back pressure. If you already have the S12, try it and find out. Every situation is a little different, so only you can answer if the cooling vs noise tradeoff is worth it to your ears. If not, I don't think it's worth the cost. In fact, as someone who has a ton of Noctuas, I'd probably get a Slipstream instead, which also has the benefit of being cheaper.

I haven't used a Slipstream yet (I'm waiting to order them until the T-Rad comes out), but I gather that they handle back pressure somewhere between the S12 and P12, and don't seem to have the annoying whine in that kind of situation (someone with one correct me if I'm wrong)