Dust Filter questions

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

AVT

Dust Filter questions

Post by AVT » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:53 am

Good morning, I'm building a custom case, a few questions:

1) How much of a CFM drop per fan would I see if I install S-Flex 800rpm 33cfm fans, and the following filters, if the fan is also behind speaker-mesh? http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductRe ... 6811999208

2) Does speaker-mesh actually help filter dust at all? I seem to always see dust on it in my case.

Thanks in advance!

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:42 am

If you REALLY want to keep dust out of your case, you need to go out and cut down a purpose-made filter (3M Filtrete or the like). Everything else will let something through. Also, if you have a strong negative pressure in your case, you need to either make the rest of your case air-tight (as dust will come in from all the nooks and crannies) or switch to a positive pressure system.

But for the casual PC builder, these aren't real options so speaker-cloth or other slightly restrictive materials will do an adequate job of filtering the air, but you will still end up cleaning our your case AND the filter in the end.

mkk

Post by mkk » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:05 pm

Makeshift/unrestrictive air filters needs to be cleaned more oftenly to remain effective. If the current filters are on the inside of the case it would be effective to put some thin open mesh cloth or other improvised filter on the outside, to be much more easily cleaned or even replaced from time to time as the larger dust particles will stick there. As long as you don't mind the look of some cloth hanging on the outside. ;)

Bluefront
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by Bluefront » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:33 am

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:17 am

Grandmaster of Filters, relentless enemy of Dust and protector of Dust free computer has spoken. I don't think anyone else no as much filtering computer air as Bluefront... Not in this forum anyway.