ZOMG San Ace Galore

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

cyberspyder

ZOMG San Ace Galore

Post by cyberspyder » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:47 am

After countless days of digging around...I have a complete set of San Aces for my entire case...

120mm x 38mm
-109R1212H1131
-109R1212H1151
-109R1212H1021 (metal-framed :shock: )*
*has a different blade structure, probably pushes a bit less CFM...

92mm x 25mm
-109P0912H401
-109P0812F402

Image Image Image Image Image

Cheers, Brendan

FartingBob
Patron of SPCR

Post by FartingBob » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:10 pm

Ive never heard of san aces, are they as good as scythe's and nexus offerings?

cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:18 pm

Actually, better. The bigger one pulls an EXACT 102CFM at EXACTLY 39Dba...undervolt it and it'll still beat the Nexus...plus it's not a sleeve bearing fan, rather a dual ball bearing so it has a pretty long life. One thing it does better than other fans it the ridiculous amount of static pressure.

Brendan

jaganath

Post by jaganath » Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:33 am

The bigger one pulls an EXACT 102CFM at EXACTLY 39Dba
since I doubt you have access to an AMCA 210 chamber, these are the manufacturer' specs, yes?

cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:52 am

My friend tested them...his dba scale:
The dBA scale is, again, an artificial adjustment of raw data to 'consumerize' the data to numbers that we are more familiar with. My 30dBA is not exactly the same as Company A's 30dBA. Then again, Company A's 30dBA isn't the same as any other company's anyway I have used data from a few fans with known-good dBAs and come up with a simple linear conversion for the data....neither the order nor magnitude of differences is changed! Because the environment has changed from Round 1, so has the adjustment method. Again, it's not at all exact science, but it does make the numbers appear friendlier without actually changing them
I trust his findings...Full showdown here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/sho ... p?t=170224

Brendan

KlaymenDK

Post by KlaymenDK » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:40 pm

How very nice of you to post a link to where these fans are to be had ... oh wait, where'd it go? :wink: :D
Last edited by KlaymenDK on Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:22 pm

I'm sorry cyberspider but I simply cant believe any claims of silence from someone with 12 fans in a single PC.

To put that in perspective: my server, main rig, and media centre PC have a total fan count of 10.

San Ace may make excelent super quiet fans, but until SPCR review them I wont touch or reccomend them to anyone.

Andy

cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:39 pm

They are all undervolted.

Wibla
Friend of SPCR

Post by Wibla » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:56 pm

I dont see an issue with having lots of fans, the end result can still be silence. my P182 has six fans counting the psu fan, and the noisiest components are the Seagate harddrives.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:32 am

They are all undervolted.
So are all of mine.
I dont see an issue with having lots of fans, the end result can still be silence. my P182 has six fans counting the psu fan, and the noisiest components are the Seagate harddrives.
6 is very different from 12, and Seagate HDD's are not exactly a mark of silence.

Yes it is true that having many fans can be quiet, but it has also been talked about many times and is now understood that 1x fan @ 20Db "sounds" quieter to human ears than 3x fans @ 20Db even if it does not measure any differently on the Db scale, and I totally agree with that having done some testing myself.

Either way there is no real proof that these fans are actually quiet by SPCR standards, and "sound" good. Also have a read down the list of recommended fans and let me know how many use BB's.

Andy

frankgehry

Post by frankgehry » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:12 pm

If you are limited to what's already been reviewed by spcr, what contribution can you possibly make to the forum? Furthermore, because spcr relies on donated products for reviews, their recommended lists are far from comprehensive. You can't ignore the possibility that manufacturers hand pick samples they submit.

Have you even searched for sanyo denki or sans ace in the fan forum? The sans ace 80x15mm has a user recommendation, so why not post in that thread?

Emyr

Post by Emyr » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:36 pm

frankgehry wrote:If you are limited to what's already been reviewed by spcr, what contribution can you possibly make to the forum?
I think his point was not that thse fans haven't been tested, but that fans of this type, which use ball bearings, have not performed well.

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:45 pm

Frank, as Emyr pointed out, you simply missed my point.

BB fans are generally loud compared to sleve bearing fans, and having looked at the many graphs stating how great these "San Ace" fans are I concluded that they are all beyond crap for low sound levels.

The "proof" that they are good simply does not exist on those graphs, indeed they seem to be "very good" at pushing lots of air, and are quieter than other dust busters, but they simply vanish from graphs at lower CFM/Db graphs. So that proof has actually done quite a good job of prooving that the fans are not intened for silent use, they are intended for high CFM.

Feel free to scour the net and find some real proof that these (120mm) fans are quieter subjectivley and measured than any of the fans in SPCR's top-5 at under 30 CFM and then I will be interested, and no-doubt SPCR will have their interest piqued and will review a sample to show us how great they are.
If you are limited to what's already been reviewed by spcr, what contribution can you possibly make to the forum?
My contribution to these forum's in this post is pointing out that these fans look pretty turd for the average SPCR reader judging by the evidence presented to me on these forums, your contribution is to prove me wrong by finding evidence to the contrary, at which point I will admit that I am wrong and state that these fans are not turd, but are actually good for silent PC Enthusiasts.

Andy