Looking for good fan controller

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

java_ed

Looking for good fan controller

Post by java_ed » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:37 pm

I have a Sunbeamtech.com Chromatic Windmill fan controller. It lasted about 6 months. After a few months of usage, it managed to lose the settings on Mondays if I didn't turn it on on weekends(I have changed the battery twice) Then, couple weeks ago, during lunch time when I wasn't next to the machine, it turned off all the fans and my CPU throttle kill kicked in due to extreme high temperature. The HDD temp sensor recorded 104c (I don't know if it is correct) All the lights are on so the contoller gets its power but it couldn't control the fans anymore. I plugged all the fans back to mobo and they seem to be working.

Would anyone recommend a reliable fan controller?

!_Nike_!

Post by !_Nike_! » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:08 pm

well why do you want to buy a new one? use your warranty or something like that....

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:30 am

Akasa FanControl JR has lasted for me reliable over a year but has no lights or temperature display. That I think is in Akasa FanControl models which is 5,25" and not 2,5" like Jr

java_ed

Post by java_ed » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:07 pm

With the experience of this controller, I may not just want to get a replacement. I did call them for rma and still trying to decide whether to ship it back or not. Plus, they don't have any unit in my color. Also a bit of post traumatic experience.. :( don't want to be burnt twice..

Since many readers in this forum have fan controller, I thought it may be a good idea to ask for a recommendation this time. Spcr don't seem to have a fan controller recommended list.

JaYp146

Post by JaYp146 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:06 pm

thejamppa wrote:Akasa FanControl JR has lasted for me reliable over a year but has no lights or temperature display. That I think is in Akasa FanControl models which is 5,25" and not 2,5" like Jr
I, too, have the 2.5" model, and it's been exemplary. Unlike many fan controllers, it goes all the way down to 5v .... Geeks.com used to have this model for $4.99 + shipping, but they don't carry it anymore. :(

thejamppa
Location: Missing in Finnish wilderness, howling to moon with wolf brethren and walking with brother bears

Post by thejamppa » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:51 am

IMHO Akasa FanControl Jr is like an Ak-47... you just cannot make simplier, sturdier little thing. Its not fancy with bling and lights. Just purely utilitarian goodness. Only weakeness is its somewhat limited availability these days.

Zalman ZM-MFC1 Plus seems nice. I have regular MFC1 and it orked beautifully which only downside and Zalman's trade sin is the bright blue bling. In Plus version its not as bad as regular but it works fine.

didi

Post by didi » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:24 am

Has anyone got experience with the (new) Sythe Kaza Master fan controllers ? They exist in 3.5" and 5.25".

Mrc112

Post by Mrc112 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:39 am

didi wrote:Has anyone got experience with the (new) Sythe Kaza Master fan controllers ? They exist in 3.5" and 5.25".
I have the 5"25 & i'm very happy with it.
buttons are sturdy & don't keep spinning (there is a certain start & end position on the buttons), it gives the option to turn of the fan, it does an accurate job & imho it looks nice :)