Fan Controller for 4-pin power connection

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Joshman

Fan Controller for 4-pin power connection

Post by Joshman » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:55 am

Hi! I have a fan with a 4-pin power connection. I think they call it a Molex connector. I looked around a little bit but could not find a fan controller for my fan. I found some 3-pin fan controllers but not 4-pin. Do they make those type of controllers?

If not, could I buy a 4-pin to 3-pin adapter then attach it to a 3-pin controller? Is that possible and will the 3-pin fan controller still work?

I am trying to add a little bit more cooling to my passively cooled S1 cooler by using an old slot fan I have lying around. But it seems noisy when I power it up. So I was hoping to slow it down a bit.

Thanks for the help.

sitalchauhan

Post by sitalchauhan » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:41 pm

you can buy the 3pin fan controllers.
then buy the fan connector converter cable. converts the 4pin connection of your fans to 3pin, and then they work perfect with the fan controller.
Have done exactly that myself.

Make sure you get the converter cable the right way round, as there are "3pin to 4pin" and "4pin to 3pin", which both have different male/female sockets

Joshman

Post by Joshman » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:21 pm

Thanks for the help.

I guess you had no luck in finding a 4-pin power connector fan controller either, eh. I will try what you mentioned.

Thanks again.

sitalchauhan

Post by sitalchauhan » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:04 pm

Joshman wrote:Thanks for the help.

I guess you had no luck in finding a 4-pin power connector fan controller either, eh. I will try what you mentioned.

Thanks again.
To be honest I didnt bother searching. Because there is such a good range of 3pin controllers available, if you went for a 4pin controller if you found one it would almost definately be more expensive and maybe have less features than a similar 3pin controller.

I bought the Sunbean Rheobus, which comes with the 4pin to 3pin fan controller adaptors. And can control all the way from gfan off (0v) to 12v directly controlling the voltage, not pwm. I strongly recommend it, amazing fan controller

nici

Post by nici » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:06 pm

Just make sure you order some welding goggles with the Rheobus.. :mrgreen: