How would you put a fan to cool the hard drive in this case?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Happy Hopping

How would you put a fan to cool the hard drive in this case?

Post by Happy Hopping » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:48 pm

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/6749/inside1yv4.jpg

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/5693/inside2sj3.jpg

EDIT BY ADMIN -- PICS TOO BIG! RESIZE OR LINK ONLY!!

I want to put a cooling fan to cool the hard drive, but this case is not build to fit a fan at the hard drive area.

Obviously, I can't fit the fan at the cable connection area because I can't close the case. So the only chance to squeeze in a fan is at the side.

But even w/ cable ties, I can only fit a cable at the top, there is nothing at the bottom to put any cable ties in. What would you do?

KlaymenDK

Post by KlaymenDK » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:57 am

That is tight, not sure if you can succeed. Also, very big pics break the forum layout! :wink:

I would consider placing a fan to the left (in your pics) of the hard drive brackets. That is, if you take out the disks, is there any room for drilling holes in the side of the bracket? Then you could place a fan there to blow in through the holes, but with the tightness of the disks I don't know if it would do much good (be worth the trouble).

Can you put (some of) your disks somewhere else? for instance, put one of the middle disks on the bottom of the case (lenghtwise, as opposed to orthogonal like they are now), or mounted/suspended in a 5" bay? That should give more room to let a, say, 80mm fan blow air in between the remaining disks.

I would consider fewer or smaller disks, or a bigger case.

Happy Hopping

Post by Happy Hopping » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:43 am

I can't drill a hole as that's exactly the hard disk is. Just behind those metal is the side of the hard disk.

There is gap between ea. hard drive, so as long as I can get a fan there, I can blow the hot air out. The question remain how to secure a fan there?

I can put 1 of the drive on an empty bay at the top. But that would only have space to put 1 fan vertically on top of ONE of the hard drive. The other 2 would still be hot. Not to mention the one I put on the 5.25" bay would also be hot.

The solution is to get a fan(s) to cool all 4 drives

Sooty

Post by Sooty » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:56 am

Like on the Sonata:

As long as you’ve got vent holes in the front of the case, if not, drill some.

Happy Hopping

Post by Happy Hopping » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:42 pm

Neat trick. Thanks for the tip

andyb
Patron of SPCR

Post by andyb » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:35 am

I would just buy a new case.

And fix the messy wiring at the same time :wink:

Andy