Scythe Gentle Typhoon Fans by Nidec Servo Corp

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

Compddd

Post by Compddd » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:56 am

I see you have 3 S Flex at 800RPM, how noisy is it running 3 of them? Thats how many case fans I have in my case.

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:07 am

Total fans in my case:
3 800rpm S-Flex (2 in 1 out)
1 1600rpm Kama-Flex (92mm thermostatically controlled, idle around 700rpm)
1 80mm in the PSU
1 stock GPU cooler

At idle I can only hear it if I turn everything else off, even then it is a gentle hum and I have to be trying to hear it, it very quickly fades out. Any increase in the ambient noise of the room, opening a window, turning on the overhead fan, turning on the tv, listening to music, turning on my laptop, and it becomes completely inaudible to me.

CyberDog

Post by CyberDog » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:16 am

It depends lot of the environment where you listen your comp. I have 3 noctuas spinning about 600 rpm at the moment on P182. One at the front, one at the middle of lower chamber and one at the CPU. Case is on floor behind/side of my desk and I can still hear the fans. Gentle hum. I try at the future cut all mesh from the opening if it helps. But I doubt that.

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:22 am

Yeah, I never said I had the most quiet environment ever, I live on the 3rd floor of an apartment building and my window faces the parking lot. Though it is quiet for me. I am still tinkering with it to see how much more I can do 8)

I am really interested in these fans, we should get some reviews stat :wink:

C. Zoui

Post by C. Zoui » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:43 am

zgundam wrote:uh... I put a topic up about this about two months ago with impressions of these fans + did some quickie testing:

Scythe Gentle Typhoon - 120mm - pics and impressions

I've had two of the 1450rpm models on my PA120.3 radiator (pull config) so far and I must say @7v they're def. quieter than the Slipstream 1200rpm also @7v, although they seem to push slightly less air. They are definitely quieter than the S-Flex Medium's @7v imho. Very happy with them so far.

Dunno about the lower rpm models, but don't bother with the 1850rpm variant - it's noticeably louder @ 7v compard to the 1450rpm model.
Thank you for your impressions!

I wonder what the increased hub size does for the airflow characteristics of these fans (i.e. whether or not the strength of the flow is higher near the hub than it is on fans with smaller hubs, or whether or not it works more efficiently against resistance and back pressure. It looks to be about as wide as a Panaflo FBA12G12W in diameter, much wider than the Scythe slipstream, Old Orange Nexus©, and even the 140mm Yate Loon I'm using now in various rigs.

Compddd

Post by Compddd » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:59 am

If ZG says the 1450 RPM Typhoon is pretty quiet at 12V, then the 1150 RPM Typhoon should be perfect to run at 12V as a case fan?

zgundam

Post by zgundam » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:10 pm

Compddd wrote:Do the new Typhoons push more CFM, RPM for RPM compared to the other Scythes?
Ok, here's a quick (subjective!) summary b/w the 3 major/new Scythe fan models. Comparison is based on 1200rpm Slipstream, 1600rpm S-Flex and 1450rpm Typhoon, vertical fan position.

I don't bother @ 12v because NO fans are whisper-quiet at > 1000rpm in general imho. Sorry, should have clarified that in my previous posts

I generally prefer getting fans ~1200-1700rpm and undervolting them. More flexibility for additional cooling on those hot summer days!

Low Airflow restriction = no obstructions at all
Med = Mesh Alu fan grill / PA120.3 (yes it's a radiator, but the holes are quite large so I consider it only med. restriction)
High = Fan is 1/2 blocked by solid barrier (like case door) / Solid Alu plate with grill holes stamped into it (like the grills seen on TJ07)

Best Rating -> Lowest Rating
Low Airflow Restriction, CFM @ 7v: Slipstream, S-Flex, Typhoon
Low Airflow Restriction, NOISE @7v: Slipstream, Typhoon, S-Flex

Med Airflow Restriction, CFM @ 7v: S-Flex, Typhoon, SlipStream
Med Airflow Restriction, NOISE @ 7v:Typhoon, SlipStream, S-Flex

High Airflow Restriction, CFM @ 7v: S-Flex & Typhoon (too close to tell!), SlipStream
High Airflow Restriction, Noise @ 7v:S-Flex, Typhoon, SlipStream

In open air (low restriction), the SlipStream is noticeably quieter than either Sflex or Typhoon; The Typhoon IS quiet, but you will hear more than just a "whoosh" of air (a hum, but one which is very smooth and easy to ignore) vs the SlipStream.

At med restriction (on air intake side) the Typhoon is basically inaudible (over my MCP-350 pump, which is already cushioned to not vibrate against the case)

I find both the SlipStream and Typhoon make a low-volume but annoying "hum" in high restriction environment (when restricted on the exhaust side anyways); the S-Flex I just hear fan motor noise so that's acceptable.

Hope this helps you make a better decision!

EDIT: comparisons performed in my comp room which faces the backyard, furthest away from the road so there's basically no ambient noise unless it's windy outside and/or there are kids/possums around.

Aris

Post by Aris » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:18 pm

Zgundum, those tests are basically meaningless unless you compare all three at the same RPM, not the same volage.

7v sflex 1600rpm is 800rpm
7v slipstream 1200rpm is 600rpm
7v typhoon 1450rpm is 725rpm

Of course the slipstream is the quietest in open air, its the slowest moving fan. Its not a fair comparison.

Put the Sflex at 7v, the slipstream at 8v and the typhoon at 6.62v and they will all be spinning 800rpm. Then you can make a fair comparison. And make sure to use a multimeter to verify the voltages.

bgiddins

Post by bgiddins » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:13 am

Aris wrote:Zgundum, those tests are basically meaningless unless you compare all three at the same RPM, not the same volage.
I would disagree - the majority of folk without a fan controller are going to run these fans either at 12V or 7V. So the 7V test is valid from a practical perspective, i.e. real world application.

Aris

Post by Aris » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:29 pm

bgiddins wrote:
Aris wrote:Zgundum, those tests are basically meaningless unless you compare all three at the same RPM, not the same volage.
I would disagree - the majority of folk without a fan controller are going to run these fans either at 12V or 7V. So the 7V test is valid from a practical perspective, i.e. real world application.
I know of no one that undervolts fans and doesnt use some sort of fan controller, either software or hardware. Either they run them at 12v, or they have some sort of fan controller. So while a comparitive test at 12v may be applicable, the 7v test really isnt.

Also the original question was "Do the new Typhoons push more CFM, RPM for RPM compared to the other Scythes?", not which is quieter at 7v. We want to find out which fan is actually quieter based on physical construction and operation, and to do that you have to compare them all running at the same RPM.

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:21 am

I've used 5v mods before, 5v and 7v require very little work and don't need controllers.

ekerazha

Post by ekerazha » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:53 am

Very interesting fans, I hope they will be reviewed by SPCR soon

zgundam

Post by zgundam » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:00 pm

Aris wrote:I know of no one that undervolts fans and doesnt use some sort of fan controller, either software or hardware. Either they run them at 12v, or they have some sort of fan controller. So while a comparitive test at 12v may be applicable, the 7v test really isnt.

Also the original question was "Do the new Typhoons push more CFM, RPM for RPM compared to the other Scythes?", not which is quieter at 7v. We want to find out which fan is actually quieter based on physical construction and operation, and to do that you have to compare them all running at the same RPM.
You do have a point - but I *did* say that my tests were subjective :wink:

Unfortunately I don't have anything to measure CFM with so even if I did setup the fans to all run at the same/similar RPM for measurement I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to give a completely scientific, non-biased, definitive "which is the best fan" answer.

Personally I dislike giving those kinds of answers anyways because I find certain fans more suitable for certain situations (as I outlined in my subjective comparison above); it just depends on whether you want performance or silence.

As practically everyone is saying on this thread, let's hope there's an official SPCR review soon!!

Oh, for those who don't know, just noticed the Typhoons are avaliable for $14.95ea @ Performance PCs now.

ekerazha

Post by ekerazha » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:56 am

Actually, here in Italy, all I can find is

Nidec Servo Corporation GentleTyphoon 120mm - 1850rpm
Nidec Servo Corporation GentleTyphoon 120mm - 1150rpm

They don't seem to be branded Scythe.

bgiddins

Post by bgiddins » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:19 am

Aris wrote:I know of no one that undervolts fans and doesnt use some sort of fan controller, either software or hardware. Either they run them at 12v, or they have some sort of fan controller. So while a comparitive test at 12v may be applicable, the 7v test really isnt.
...I would have thought there were a few people that would have found the 7V comparo of interest - I'm sure more than a few people have followed these instructions: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article6-page1.html

Moot anyway, my next fans will be run at 12v.

zgundam

Post by zgundam » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:09 pm

ekerazha wrote:Actually, here in Italy, all I can find is

Nidec Servo Corporation GentleTyphoon 120mm - 1850rpm
Nidec Servo Corporation GentleTyphoon 120mm - 1150rpm

They don't seem to be branded Scythe.
That sucks. Avoid the 1850rpm like the plague, it's not quiet even when undervolted vs the 1450rpm.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:38 pm

Hi,

Are these for sale at a retail online seller?

elpibe10

Post by elpibe10 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:29 pm

NeilBlanchard wrote:Hi,

Are these for sale at a retail online seller?
http://www.aerocooler.com/

http://www.performance-pcs.com

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:08 pm

Hi,

I found someone who has tried these (the 1450 and 1850RPM models, anyway), right here on SPCR:

viewtopic.php?t=50226&start=0&postdays= ... highlight=

Also, another retailer that I've heard of before:

http://www.ncixus.com/products/35016/D1 ... 12/Scythe/

redsun

translated review

Post by redsun » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:37 am

derekva

Post by derekva » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:57 am

While they aren't up on their web site yet, Coolerguys has the 120mm Gentle Typhoon fans as well (http://www.coolerguys.com). You can call them directly (I live a few miles away from their HQ so I picked one up in person yesterday).

-D

gb115b
*Lifetime Patron*

Post by gb115b » Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:08 am

has mike got any plans to review these fans?

I've got 4 fans in my system (SR107)

2 intake fans (med-high restriction - as they're pulling air through the front of the case over harddrives / through filters etc)

1 exhaust fan (low - med restriction i guess)

1 cpu fan (pushing through a HR01 / Ultra 120 - high restriction?)

the recommendations seem to point to going for S-flex fans for almost all the fans except for the exhaust where is should go for a slipstream?

any thoughts?

FuturePastNow

Post by FuturePastNow » Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:23 am

I bought the 2150RPM 92mm Gentle Typhoon from Newegg, at 5V (on a Fanmate) it runs at exactly 1000RPM and is silent to my ears. Doesn't seem to move much air, though, but good enough to cool hard drives.

slimeballzz

Post by slimeballzz » Tue May 05, 2009 12:37 am

I have 4x 1450rpm models on 2x PA120.2s controlled by speedfan.

I chose them over the S-Flex hoping they will last longer as they are ball bearing fans and are mounted horizontally.

Ch0z3n

Post by Ch0z3n » Tue May 05, 2009 3:25 am

S-Flex are S-FDB fans, I didn't think they had any problems being mounted in any direction.

CocoBryce

Post by CocoBryce » Tue May 05, 2009 7:05 am

Ch0z3n wrote:S-Flex are S-FDB fans, I didn't think they had any problems being mounted in any direction.
they don't. :)

slimeballzz, can you share some thoughts about the fans also?

slimeballzz

Post by slimeballzz » Wed May 06, 2009 9:25 am

CocoBryce wrote:
Ch0z3n wrote:S-Flex are S-FDB fans, I didn't think they had any problems being mounted in any direction.
they don't. :)

slimeballzz, can you share some thoughts about the fans also?
zgundam pretty much summarized everything in the above post.

For low to no airflow restriction get the Slipstream.

For med or high airflow restriction you can't really go wrong with either the Typhoon or S-Flex. The differences may be too small to notice.

But everyone swears by the S-Flex so if I had the choice I would try out the S-Flex. I also found this link http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php ... 1033312159 which favours the S-Flex as well.

NT

Post by NT » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:22 am

So is the GT AP-15 still the bad-ass fan for rads if you want decent CFM, but not too noisy?

Any thoughts/advice massively appreciated! :lol:

miahallen

Post by miahallen » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:27 pm

NT wrote:So is the GT AP-15 still the bad-ass fan for rads if you want decent CFM, but not too noisy?

Any thoughts/advice massively appreciated! :lol:
I think they are a very good choice for low noise and do very well with pressure....but their CFM rating is a little less competative.

In other words, the Slipstreams are designed for high CFM (but poor pressure performance), these are the opposite, great pressure but poor airflow.

So these are a great choice mounted on a cooler/rad, the Slipstreams would be preferred for case fan usage.

NT

Post by NT » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:50 am

Interesting thanks...
What's the full-name of these "slipstreams" you're referring to?

I had been considering something from the GT family for case fans too.
"If" there aren't enough that come with my case, or they're too crappy.

I need to clear-up these definitions in my head I think!!?