Best airflow for my sugo2 case / nt06 heatsink?

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

leiff

Best airflow for my sugo2 case / nt06 heatsink?

Post by leiff » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:24 pm

I am seeking advise from those familiar with sugo 1/2 series airflow. I have: Sugo series2/ Asus P5Q-EM MB/ nt06-E cpu passive heatsink/ enermax modu 82 PSU. I was advised to have all 3 of my 80mm case fans blow in and have PSU as only exhaust but my PSU doesn't move enough air on it's own so I'm wondering what I should do. It seems I could use my angled rear case fan as exhaust as a possible solution. If I do this would it be best to remove my top fan? Otherwise it seems air will be blowed in and sucked right back out. Another possible solution I'm considering is attaching a fan to underside of nt06 pushing air up into PSU. I'm interested in doing this if this will allow for possible future overclocking of my E8400. If I do this will it be best to keep all 3 of my case fans pointing in? I have 1 spare silverstone suscool81 thermal temp 80 mm fan I could place under my nt06 but how much better would a 120mm fan be? I like the idea of attaching fan to PWM cpu header for variable speed. Is this a good idea? Should this fan's rpm's be similar to PSU rpm's. I monitor my PSU speed idle at 500 rpm's, while at max cpu; PSU goes to 900 rpm's. Would someone like to recommend a 120mm fan for my nt06? I was advised to select this fan for that purpose. http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=22998
Anyone familiar with it? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Pigpen

Post by Pigpen » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:30 am

I was hoping that there would be some response to this when I saw it as I picked one of these up yesterday. The lack of interest is understandable being that this case is not exactly a good place to start for a quiet system.
With the open air design any possible noise generated will escape so component choice is critical.

Having fans at the top blowing in seems counterproductive to me as heat tends to rise and the PS is doing the same (pulling air up and out the back).
Keep in mind that my build is a big experiment and will likely change considerably during the process. With that being said, my starting point will be something like this.

An 80mm fan at the top angled area blowing out for flow on that side of the case cooling the riser card area and the PS to create flow on the other half.
Now this part is still undecided. A low speed fan at the HD cage for some crossflow which should not affect the rest of the case much. But considering ducting this without a fan to the PS and relying on the rear angled 80mm for the whole case.

Will have to finish putting it together and experiment a bit to see what works the best.

leiff

Post by leiff » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:39 am

Pipen,
I noticed without harddrive fan my harddrive temps went over 50c so I bought 3X suscool81 fans that run at 900 rpm's. I put one in my hard drive enclosure, one in top mount, and one on my cpu heatsink pointing up into PSU. I warn you not to put a high speed fan in harddrive cage or top mount of case. The proximity to metal grating amplifies noise. The silverstone fan that came with my sugo 2 case was too loud for these mounts, so I have it placed on rear angled mount instead. With MB software this fan slows to 1,400 rpm's and I find it very quiet. Hope you find this helpfull.

So now I have rear mount fan blowing in at 1400 rpm's, harddrive cage and top mount blowing in at 900 rpm, and cpu fan blowing into PSU at 900-1,200 rpm's. Is this a poor choice for airflow?

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:06 am

If it works (temps not overly high), and it's quiet enough for you, then that is the definition of working. (We've discussed the whole "PSU as the only exhuast thing before")

However, total up all the fans you have in that itty-bitty case and think about what you could do with a properly designed case.

I was thinking about how you could go about evening up all the airflow you have in your case, and I remembered this. Basically you can create another exhaust if you have an open PCI slot or two by hacking another fan to blow sideways. It might be worth a shot if you've got some spare time and a spare fan to destroy (don't start with your best fan). If you have a 120mm fan to use like Bluefront did, great (if it fits), if not, the same principle would apply to any axial fan. You don't have to use wood either, you could build the whole thing out of foam core posterboard available at any craft store. Even a sturdy Fedex box or something would work for a mockup.

leiff

Post by leiff » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:48 am

You say PSU as only exhaust is bad, but I thought you might think differently since I added a fan right above my cpu pushing air into my psu keeping my PSU cool. It seems to me if I use rear case fan and or top case fan as exhaust that my MB temps will go up which are already high. Also, wont using case fans as exhaust cause more dust to be sucked in through grates and settle in computer? Where is the temp monitor on MB? I will try reversing my case fans and see how it changes temps. If I end up using rear angled fan as exhaust, what should I do with top fan- point in, point out, or remove?

Aris

Post by Aris » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:34 pm

The linked fan is basically a cheap, slightly faster, version of the nexus 120mm. If you undervolt it it can be very quiet.

The biggest problem with this case is your PSU is directly over your CPU region, which means your PSU fan will likely be constantly ramped up making your system loud.

Also theirs only 1x case fan for the whole system, and its only 80mm. Slot fans are notoriously horrible for a quiet system and should be avoided at all cost.

Theres not a whole lot you can do to improve things.

If it were me, and i was forced to use this case, and i had to make it quiet. This is what i would do:

remove all 3x stock 80mm fans. Use a 5" holesaw to drill a hole on both the left and right side of the case. Put a fan guard over the holes, and mount 120mm Scythe S-Flex 1200rpm fans in both locations. Have both blowing into the case. Next block the vents on the top, front, and side of the case. This will force all the cool intake air to move across your CPU/GPU region and then out the back of the case.

with this setup you should be able to keep the air that gets into the PSU relatively cool at all times, as well as be able to put a large passive heatsink on your video card, like an AC S1. Also you could do without any fan on your CPU heatsink as well since you'd have a 120mm fan blowing right at it with cool air from outside the case.

Next you'd have to undervolt the fans to quiet them down a little, and find a happy medium between noise and heat. At some point you'll hit a tipping point where if you reduce your intake fans more, your PSU fan will be ramping up and eliminate the lower noise of your intake fans.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:41 pm

Doesn't matter where your fans are, if your only exhaust is the PSU, then ALL the heat generated by your components is going out that way which will increase the temp of the PSU. Forcing more air through is just moving the heat out faster than the PSU would do ordinarily on its own. Though, to do that the airflow on the backside of the CPU HSF would have to exceed the airflow of the PSU fan, which would probably be pretty loud.

If you have enough positive pressure (intake fans pushing air into the system), then a little more exhaust won't hurt. You could also change the orientation of the slot cooler to make it an intake and reverse some of your other fans to make them exhausts.

The ideal situation is to have balance intake and exhaust flow so no single fan is working harder (spinning faster) than it has to in order to produce the desired airflow. If you have too many intake fans, then pressure builds up inside the case (on the back side of the intake fans) and gives resistance to airflow. If there is resistance, then the fan must spin faster to give the same amount of airflow (as it would in free air).

Your objective should be this: to remove as much heat as possible from your case as fast as possible while providing adequate airflow over components that need it. More fans (or faster ones) are the simplest way to achieve the first part (though smart layout is better) while blocking intakes/exhaust and creating ducts and varied airflow paths are the best way to achieve the second. In a positive pressure setup (like you have now), you may want to play with blocking vents that are in areas that do not get very warm, allowing the airflow to be redirected elsewhere. In a negative pressure setup, you would want to get the cool air from those areas to the hot areas that need it.

Aris, we're not talking about stock slot fans, we're talking about using a standard fan and creating a duct with it, to act like a slot fan. It's not louder than the fan you use to create it with. I've tried it and it works, if you do it right.

Leiff, I know there's someone else here who just posted recently about his SG02 and he's got it working well. You should do a search for SG02 and ask him how he did it.

Aris

Post by Aris » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:36 pm

their are vents on the back of the case. Excess intake isnt going to make the PSU fan work harder or make more noise. Excess intake just goes out the vents on the back of the case.

Also, more intake air WILL lower the temp of the air going into your PSU, which will lower its RPM which will make it quieter. You put an intake fan less than 6 inches from the PSU exhaust fan, blowing right at it and its going to get cooler air than it would have otherwise. The quicker the air moves past the CPU region and through the PSU the less the air is heated.

You dont need an exhaust fan for air to leave your case, and just because you have less exhaust fans than intake fans doesnt mean its necissarily pushing it all through that one exhaust fan. Air takes the path of least resistance, when the exhaust fan is no longer pulling air out fast enough for the air comming in, it will naturally flow out any available vents at the rear of the case.

The intake fans are not just arbitrary air pushed into a case. At the locations i specified they would be blowing directly onto the CPU region from one end, and the GPU region on the other side. Direct cool airflow for the two hottest components in your case.

leiff

Post by leiff » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:32 pm

Aris,
Your solution with blow holes is interesting but I won't be able to do this. My enermax+82 PSU is very quiet even with system at full load. My PSU fan speed ranges from 500 rpm's to 900 rpm's. I assumed it was my cpu load that is triggering PSU fan speed difference, not temperature of PSU. Is this right? For less noise I want to match my cpu heatsink fan speed and size with PSU fan- Is that right? I already have a x25 thick 80 mm fan hooked up to cpu heatsink blowing into PSU at 900 rpm's. I wonder how much better a 120mm fan would be since my PSU uses a 120mm fan? I notice there is very little clearance below my x25 thick cpu fan. If I replace my 80mm cpu fan with a 120mm fan; will a 20 thick fan work better? maybe more clearance allows fan to work better? Do you advise on what should be done with my top and rear case fan mounts?

Aris

Post by Aris » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:00 pm

well when your CPU loads two things happen. One your CPU is outputting more heat, and second your powersupply is outputting more power. Even if effeciency stays the same, your lost power in the form of heat will still increase. EX: 85% of 100w at idle is 85w with 15w of heat loss. 85% of 200w at load is 170w with 30w of heat loss. So the more power your computer is pulling, the more heat your PSU has to cool, inside its own casing as well as any heat its pulling through its cooling fan.

So their both happening. Both the PSU is producing more heat AND your CPU is producing more heat. The combination causes your PSU fan to ramp up.

The fans dont necissarily have to match at all. If theirs a negative air pressure in the case(ie: more air pulled out through the PSU and its fan than you have intake fans for), then it will also start pulling air through air vents in the case. Theres no negative effect to having more or less air pressure comming in with fans than going out, other than maybe dust buildup with negative air preassure setups at vents. The excess mearly then moved through vents that fans arnt located at, either moving out of the case or into the case depending on the difference in intake/exhaust.

The only reason i said to make them intake is that it makes it easier to direct cool air to the heat producers(your cpu/gpu). You can do it with exhaust fans, but then you'd have to duct them or else the airflow may "short circuit" to the exhaust fans without moving air over the heatsinks for your cpu/gpu. It can be done, but its a lot more work. The other option other than ducting with exhaust fans is to use additional fans on the cpu/gpu heatsinks. This will make sure the heatsinks are getting enough air as well as evacuating hot air out of the case, but then you have double the amount of fans than you really need. Especially with a case this small. It might be different if it were a larger case where intake fans may not be as potent, but in this case since their so close to the CPU/GPU region they would be very effective.

So with them being intake fans, you wouldnt have to have additional fans on your CPU/GPU heatsinks, since the proximity of your intake fans are so close to the heatsinks and also in direct line of sight.

The biggest concern you have with this case as i said was the PSU fan right above the CPU region. The GPU heat isnt as big of a concern because the case is so small and the PCB for the video card acts as a thermal divide. Most of the heat from the GPU is going to exit the case through the vented expansion slot covers. So when you discuss PSU fan rampup, your really only talking about CPU heat and PSU heat. You cant really do anything about PSU heat, the fan built into it takes care of it. But you can do something about the CPU heat. By 1. increasing the airflow through the CPU heatsink and 2. using fresh cool air from outside the case to blow directly onto the CPU heatsink, the air moving through the heatsink wont heat up as much, which means the heat going into the PSU wont be as hot initially, which means your PSU fan wont ramp up as quickly. It will always be an issue just because of the orientation of the power supply, but this will minimize the effect as much as possible.

You wouldnt have to worry about clearance above your CPU heatsink because now you dont have a fan on your CPU heatsink at all, the fan is located against the side of the case. a 120mm fan would push much more air through your heatsinks even running slower than the current 900rpm of your 80mm fan. If dropping this 80mm fan gives a bit more room in front of your PSU fan, this will decrease turbulance noise a bit also.

leiff

Post by leiff » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:04 pm

I have attached a fan to be flush against the underside of my nt06 heatsink. It sits horizontally right above cpu and pushes air through nt06 cooling fins directly into PSU. My PSU sits flush against top side of nt06. This will help cool my PSU and cpu. My modu 81 PSU is actually being repaired right now and enermax sent me a loaner. The loaner PSU fan is only 80mm. This is the same size fan as the fan I have attached to my nt06 right now. When I get my modu 82 back from enermax I suppose I'll try to continue using my 80mm fan if it's not too noisy. Though if I buy a 120mm fan for this purpose I expect it will have better cooling performance since 120mm is the size of nt06 cooling grills as well as the modu 82 PSU fan. I believe the reason my modu 82 stopped working in the first place was because I wasn't using a fan on my nt06 and the enermax PSU got too hot. So it seems I should buy a 120 mm fan for my nt06 if it's cooling will be superior since modu82 does not move much air on it's own. Any recommendations? So matching fan speed with my modu82 fan's speed of 500 to 900 rpm's is not important for silence? A four pin power fan for cpu header fan speed modulation would be good, yes?

Aries, are you agreeing with my assessment that since I've already added a fan to my nt06 cpu heatsink; that having my two case fans as intake is not a bad idea?

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:20 am

Aris wrote:their are vents on the back of the case. Excess intake isnt going to make the PSU fan work harder or make more noise. Excess intake just goes out the vents on the back of the case.

Also, more intake air WILL lower the temp of the air going into your PSU, which will lower its RPM which will make it quieter. You put an intake fan less than 6 inches from the PSU exhaust fan, blowing right at it and its going to get cooler air than it would have otherwise. The quicker the air moves past the CPU region and through the PSU the less the air is heated.

You dont need an exhaust fan for air to leave your case, and just because you have less exhaust fans than intake fans doesnt mean its necissarily pushing it all through that one exhaust fan. Air takes the path of least resistance, when the exhaust fan is no longer pulling air out fast enough for the air comming in, it will naturally flow out any available vents at the rear of the case.

The intake fans are not just arbitrary air pushed into a case. At the locations i specified they would be blowing directly onto the CPU region from one end, and the GPU region on the other side. Direct cool airflow for the two hottest components in your case.
I guess we're missing the point then. I'm not saying he should add a slot cooler to this setup and everything will work. I'm saying that the current airflow setup leaves something to be desired. The slot cooler just gives him another option to achieve the desired airflow. It would have to coincide with blocking vents and/or changing fan directions, like you suggested.

As for the CPU heat going into the PSU, obviously moving air faster will cool it down, but it's still bad practice and not a good idea in the long run.

Aris

Post by Aris » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:49 pm

jhhoffma wrote:As for the CPU heat going into the PSU, obviously moving air faster will cool it down, but it's still bad practice and not a good idea in the long run.
How is it bad practice?

With the orientation of his PSU over his CPU he has little other choice. It would be a different story with a different case that has a better orientation of hardware.

Pigpen

Post by Pigpen » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:14 pm

leiff, There are a couple things that I have noticed here with this case.

1) This case has a major oversight in the fan mount department. The holes are too small, they protrude into the airflow about a 1/4" all the way around and essentially stop all the airflow.
I picked up a handfull of Scythe Kama-flow's and was testing them, they had some vibration while running in my hand so I held them against the case to see if they made it rattle or buzz.
To my amazement the noise of the airflow tripled and the flow decreased by at least 75%. If i held the fan away from the case about half an inch the noise went away and the flow returned.
It would seem at least with this fan that the flow comes from the tips of the blades with the cutouts being too small they create a marked amount of turbulence and block the flow. Mine will be enlarged to the size of the fan.

2) Power supply placement creates issues. (mostly my opinion)
After looking at this for a while I was not happy with the location blocking everything in the CPU area. It left you using a bottom breathing PS sucking in all the heat, potentially making its fan ramp up and being noisy. Also PS fan and CPU fans would be too close together being another noise source.
My first thought would be a PICO but I was not comfortable with that so I picked up one of Bluefront's favorites. The sparkle SPI220LE.
This leaves plenty of room in the CPU area.

My plan now is looking like a 3 fan arrangement.
1. A 120mm mounted to the back covering the original PS hole and part of the vented area above the motherboard backpanel.
2. CPU fan. (recycled zalman 7000 with scythe fan)
3. A 80mm scythe at the HD cage with a 90* duct on the end blowing over the PCI slots and out the back.

leiff

Post by leiff » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:28 pm

Pigpen, Have you finished your sugo build? Did you end up cutting around the edges of your fan mounts? Did this increase airflow? My 80mm SUSCOOL81 case fans I bought for this build are even louder than the stock fan that came with this case. Over 600 rpm's and the motor starts to whir, So now I need to buy more 80mm fans. Any recommendations? I'm now using a fan controller which should broaden my fan selection. I placed a 120mm 20mm loon fan under my nt06 heatsink pushing air up into my PSU which now holds a scyth sflex 120mm 25mm fan also pointed up. The loon gets loud over 900 rpm's and the syth gets loud over 1100 rpm's. Can you explain how you managed the ducting of your hdd cage? On my sugo thread I started on avs htpc forrum; someone is trying to acomidate a 120mm fan in hdd cage area by removing hardrive cage fan and sliding hdd cage over. I'm considering this and am waiting for him to post results. In any case it seems to be well advised to cover up gpu side vents if I'm using top/rear 80mm intake fans.

TazExprez

Post by TazExprez » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:24 am

I ordered a SUGO SG01-BF a couple of days ago. My case is very similar to yours. I am thinking of ordering three Noctua NF-R8 80mm fans. I have read in this forum and at other sites that these fans are pretty quiet. You can look at the fan at Newegg's website. (This is my first post, so I cannot post any links.)

leiff

Post by leiff » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:42 am

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... light=sugo

TazExprez:Here is a link to avs sugo topic I started which has some other ideas you might be interested in. Let me know if you end up ordering the NF-R8 80mm fans how they work out for you. I still haven't got around to getting my replacement 80mm fan's yet. I have 1 extra x120 mm slipstream fan. Without cutting into my case, I'm wondering if my case can accommodate it.

HappyJack96

Post by HappyJack96 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:36 pm

Attention leiff:

I just read that you [had] replaced the fan on your Enermax Modu82+ PSU.
That's not recommended! Here's why:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article806-page6.html

Read Postscript near end of page.

Enjoy!
Russell

leiff

Post by leiff » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:56 pm

I realized this too late. I ended up frying my psu fan header, and now have a useless enermax fan since It has a unique connector can't plug it into anything. The scyth sflex fan in my enermax modu 82 is now powered directly from my scythe fan controller.

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:00 pm

HappyJack96 wrote:Attention leiff:

I just read that you [had] replaced the fan on your Enermax Modu82+ PSU.
That's not recommended! Here's why:
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article806-page6.html

Read Postscript near end of page.

Enjoy!
Russell
That only applies if you're trying to run the fan off the PSU's built-in controller. There's nothing stopping you from running a different fan off a mobo or fan controller header.

TazExprez

Post by TazExprez » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:29 pm

I ordered 3 of the Noctua NF-R8 fans yesterday.

yamahaSHO

Post by yamahaSHO » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:12 pm

TazExprez wrote:I ordered 3 of the Noctua NF-R8 fans yesterday.
Please let us know how this works out for you. I am going to build an HTPC for my dad with the SG02 and I just ordered 3 of the NF-R8 fans as well. For the two fans over the expansion card area, I may have one pointing in for fresh air and the other out for exhaust....

I'm going to play with it a bit. I need to make this quiet and reliable for my dad, so I have to work it all out before giving it to him.

HappyJack96

Post by HappyJack96 » Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:33 pm

That only applies if you're trying to run the fan off the PSU's built-in controller. There's nothing stopping you from running a different fan off a mobo or fan controller header.
Well, that's a neat trick... :). Shows what I know! :oops:
I really want a picoPSU, but realize they aren't for everyone.
My goal is a single fan system, specifically in the SilverStone Sugo SG02 case, hence why I came to this topic.
Last detail for me is whether to have the single fan blowing down on CPU/heatsink (Top-down, C-type) or a passive CPU cooler, with rear exhaust fan.
I think a picoPSU will be the key to pulling off [my] quiet build in the Sugo SG02 case.

Russell