Asus P5E-VM HDMI + Arctic Cooling AF12025 PWM = problems :(

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

krick

Asus P5E-VM HDMI + Arctic Cooling AF12025 PWM = problems :(

Post by krick » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:15 am

I'm having an issue trying to use an Arctic Cooling AF12025 PWM fan on my Asus P5E-VM HDMI.

It's a 4-pin PWM fan and I have it installed on the Thermalright HR-01 plus heatsink on my CPU.

I used to have a 800RPM Scythe fan on this cooler, which worked well, but didn't seem to provide enough cooling when overclocking under full load, so I switched to the PWM fan, hoping that the motherboard would ramp it up when needed. This isn't working.

The problem is that for some reason, the motherboard wants to run the fan at under 600RPM and never seems to want to ramp it up, no matter how much load I put on the CPU.

The range is supposed to be 400 - 1500 RPM so it's still within the fan spec, but at 600RPM under load, my computer just isn't stable. Also, it sometimes fails to boot at all because I guess it thinks the fan failed or something because the RPM is so low.

Is there a BIOS setting that I'm missing to make this thing work correctly with my PWM fan?

Aris

Post by Aris » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:19 am

i thought Asus had a GUI software for windows that let you control PWM fans connected to its motherboard. Have you installed that software and tried configuring it?

krick

Post by krick » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:58 am

I thought that a PWM CPU fan was fully BIOS controlled based on the CPU temperature.

Aris

Post by Aris » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:19 am

krick wrote:I thought that a PWM CPU fan was fully BIOS controlled based on the CPU temperature.
it can be, it also can be controlled through programs loaded in your OS. It all depends on how the manufacturer chose to impliment control.