cooler master or yate loon

Control: management of fans, temp/rpm monitoring via soft/hardware

Moderators: NeilBlanchard, Ralf Hutter, sthayashi, Lawrence Lee

logscool

cooler master or yate loon

Post by logscool » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:35 pm

I have heard a lot about yate loon low speed fans being very quiet when undervolted and they are very cheap (like $4) also these cooler master fans seem like they would be very quiet when undervolted and both have a great price I will be using three or four of them in a micro atx case with insulation on all sides one fan will go on the power supply one on the back of the case one on the side panel for CPU cooler and possibly one on the bottom of the case I will be connecting all of them to molex connectors so I can only get 12, 5, and 7 volts my question is which fans are the best value and are they quiet.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:43 am

Hi,

You can't go by specifications -- the CoolMaster fans I've tried are clicky and rough sounding. The Yate Loons are quieter, but they are not the quietest you can get. The low speed Yate Loons are the best of that line, but the Nexus (made by Yate Loon) is much better.

I'd recommend the Scythe Slipstream 800 or 1200RPM. Or, the GlobalWin NCB, and others have used the Scythe S-Flex; though these are expensive.

pcy
-- Vendor --

Post by pcy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:05 am

NeilBlanchard wrote: The low speed Yate Loons are the best of that line, but the Nexus (made by Yate Loon) is much better.
You don't know what the difference is do you. I buy my fans direct from Yate Loon, and I have to spec what I want anyway - every fan they manufacture is made to order - so if I could specify whatever they do for Nexus.

[/quote]I'd recommend the Scythe Slipstream 800 or 1200RPM. Or, the GlobalWin NCB, and others have used the Scythe S-Flex; though these are expensive.[/quote]

I have to say that once you are into 120mm or (preferably) 140mm fans running at speeds between 350rpm and 950rpm they are all pretty quiet, and the arguement for buying on price becomes stronger.

I'd be worried by a 1200rpm fan whoever manufactured it.

Peter

jhhoffma

Post by jhhoffma » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:45 am

Well, Neil recommended a 1200rpm Slipstream because at 800rpm SPCR found it quieter than the stock 800rpm version. It undervolts very well, which I can personally attest to.

The Nexus fan are (I believe) cherry picked to be smoother/quieter/less clicky and also have been modified to run at 1000rpms @ 12v instead of the Y/L's 1350rpm.

pcy
-- Vendor --

Post by pcy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:54 pm

Hi,
jhhoffma wrote:Well, Neil recommended a 1200rpm Slipstream because at 800rpm SPCR found it quieter than the stock 800rpm version.
I'd expect to find that the two fans were essentially identical, with the lower rpm variant simply having fewer windings per coil. If I'm right it's possible that SPCR findings are the result of sample variance, or maybe the 1200rpm Slipstreams are in fact "cherry picked" as the effects will be more signifcant at higher rpm.
The Nexus fan are (I believe) cherry picked to be smoother/quieter/less clicky
That makes sense, and wouldn't cost that much to do, whereas actually manufacturing a different fan...

If you are right about this it provides evidence that sample variation is indeed significant.
and also have been modified to run at 1000rpms @ 12v instead of the Y/L's 1350rpm.
I think "modifed" is a strong word if the design is the same and all they do is change the number of windings per coil.

We know that's the case with Yate Loon Fans (they told me).

I'm struggling to think of any reason why a 1200rpm fans running at 600 rpm at 6V would in fact behave any differently than an essentially identical fan (just fewer windings) also running at 600 rpm but at 12V.

Peter

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:58 pm

Hi,

There are also differences in the shape and angles of the blades of the Yate Loon branded models, and the Nexus. And there may be differences in the angle the struts are in relation to the trailing edges of the blades.

Personally, I like the 800RPM Slipstreams better than the 1200, because they are decent at 12v, but any louder is too much for me. So if I never use them at full speed, why bother getting the faster model?

As for bearings wearing out, I have only ever had a Yate Loon medium speed (replaced by a GlobalWin NCB) in an old Fortron Source PSU start to get noisy. And a could of old NMB 80mm fans, that got replaced by some Enermax Enlobal models.

IIANM, that Fortron Source PSU is THE place that the Yate Loon fans were "discovered" hear on SPCR? (By someone else -- I got it because it was so quiet.) They were very hard to find on the retail market, for what seemed like an eternity, and then Nexus came out with their fan, and both the low and the medium speed YL became fairly common place, though NewEgg never carried them, IIRC.

This was back about 5 years ago (or was it seven?) when cases with 120 fans were as rare as hen's teeth...
Last edited by NeilBlanchard on Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

logscool

Post by logscool » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:07 pm

I am on a very low budget i know that i can get quieter fans but what are the quietest fans that i can get 4 for about $15 + shipping. I know this sounds really cheap but my computer is a really old compaq that I am just experimenting with so I don't want to spend very much money.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:13 pm

Hi,

What size fans are in the system? Have you tried undervolting the fans you have -- that would be nearly free?

logscool

Post by logscool » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:29 pm

The current fans are very loud 80mm that are currently undervolted but provide very little cooling and are not silent. I will mod the case and components so a larger fan would also work in some places.

pcy
-- Vendor --

Post by pcy » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:22 am

Hi,

The best deal is the link in your first post.

There is nothing wrong with Yate Loon fans.

Thay are cheap because Yate Lon is the genuine manufacturer and only one middle man - Xoxide.com is involved.

Fans actually cost soemwhere between $1 and $1.50 to make, whatever the fan.

Peter

Peter

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:04 am

Hi,

Does Xoxide sell 80mm Yate Loon's? You are unlikely to fit 120mm fans in place of 80mm ones.

pcy
-- Vendor --

Post by pcy » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:34 am

Hi,
logscool wrote:The current fans are very loud 80mm that are currently undervolted but provide very little cooling and are not silent. I will mod the case and components so a larger fan would also work in some places.

That has to be the way to go.

While some fans are better than others, the differences pale into insignificance compared with the improvements from simply using larger (or more - total cross-sectional area is what counts) fans at lower rpm for the same airflow.

Peter

pcy
-- Vendor --

Post by pcy » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:39 am

Hi Neil,
NeilBlanchard wrote:There are also differences in the shape and angles of the blades of the Yate Loon branded models, and the Nexus. And there may be differences in the angle the struts are in relation to the trailing edges of the blades....
I find that extremely interesting, and a bit surprising.

The actual cost of making the fan is all in the tooling for the blades and case/struts, plus winding the coils.

If the actual design of the Nexus is better, and the fans are made by Yate Loon, then why wouldn't Yate Loon use the improved design for all their fans.

On the other hand, if the Nexus is better because of cherry-picking, and the design differences are there as only as branding, then I'd find this easier to understand.

Peter

logscool

Post by logscool » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:49 am

Thank you for all the help. Another question that i have is I have heard that sleeve bearings and horizontal mounting do not go together and at least one if not 2 of my fans would be horizontally mounted(PSU and case floor). If these fans would not work what would be a cheap alternative.

Techno Pride

Post by Techno Pride » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:56 am

I've a Coolermaster PL12S12L 120mm rated for 1200rpm/12v. On a Ninja, the Coolermaster @6v is more quiet than the YL D12SL-12 @5v. Not sure whether these PL (powerlogic?) fans are still available.

Do note Coolermaster orders fans from a variety of manufactuers. The CM fans you linked to appear to be from a different manufacturer, as model number starts with DF.

NeilBlanchard

Post by NeilBlanchard » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:04 am

Hi,
NeilBlanchard wrote:There are also differences in the shape and angles of the blades of the Yate Loon branded models, and the Nexus. And there may be differences in the angle the struts are in relation to the trailing edges of the blades.
Following up on this, here's pictures of the Yate Loon (low speed) fan:

And here are a couple of variations of the Nexus:

And from the "Anatomy of the Silent Fan" article, here a related graphic:

The struts on the (later?) Nexus models are rounded and smaller (at least the 3 are), and now that I see them again, the blades are pretty similar. I may be remembering the medium speed Yate Loon?

logscool

Post by logscool » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:35 pm

However it also looks as though the orange nexus has the same struts as the Yate loon either way I just orederes 4 yate loon fans yesterday just waiting for them to come.